GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to today was the day to go darkside so I took the wheel off and then took the old tire off. I knew that tpms sensor was in there but I managed to break it. I know, I know! :banghead: It may or may not still work but I really don't want to get a shop to mount the CT just to find out it doesn't work anymore. Can anyone here tell me where is the best and cheapest place to get another online. I did buy the gadget to set it when I bought the tire. Maybe someone on this board has one from a 12' wheel the bought for an older bike they don't need??? Thanks in advance. jack

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
You can probably buy a trike take off wheel and sensor for a less than a new sensor.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right! and I did for my spare wheel. I was truly hoping someone did that for there pre 2012 and took out the sensor and put in a regular valve. Maybe they have it laying around willing to sell it cheap? $175 bucks for a sender? Really honda? thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS. Ill try that!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just read another post where someone broke the TPMS, if I could ask how did you break it??? I'm also going to a car tire and tomorrow I'm buying a 2014 rim. The place I'm going said they had 11 rims so I will see if he will give me a TPMS senser he told me he has them laying around. I also bought a tirechanger and I dont want to break mine. Thanks GAblue .......... If he give me one I will send you a PM

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
sent you a PM

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read another post where someone broke the TPMS, if I could ask how did you break it??? I'm also going to a car tire and tomorrow I'm buying a 2014 rim. The place I'm going said they had 11 rims so I will see if he will give me a TPMS senser he told me he has them laying around. I also bought a tirechanger and I dont want to break mine. Thanks GAblue .......... If he give me one I will send you a PM
The sender sticks up quite a bit. After I popped the top bead from the rim I was removing the bottom bead with the mojo tool and caught the sender with the bottom bead. When I pulled the tool around I thought the bottom bead was above the sender but it was under it. Racked the hell out of it. I see the safe way now is to lift that bottom bead of the tire over the sender first then put your mojo bar or lever right next to it to begin the second bead removal. Don't think I will make that mistake again. Jack

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Sensor

I'm sure you will be able to find another sensor, good luck with that. Also WELCOME to the Darkside. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure you will be able to find another sensor, good luck with that. Also WELCOME to the Darkside. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry
Thanks Larry but I'm not quite a darksider yet.. I'd say I am more on the shady side right now..
Also, I think Pop Chance has got my problem solved!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Pop Chance! That was fast. I got the sender today and Monday I will be off to walmart to have the tire installed. You are one of the good guys!:1st: Jack

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thanks Pop Chance! That was fast. I got the sender today and Monday I will be off to walmart to have the tire installed. You are one of the good guys!:1st: Jack

Awwww, your are making me blush.

Glad I was able to come to your rescue.

Cheers

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It just got a lot darker

Ok, It is dark now! Got walmart to install the Alpin on my 2012. Do make sure you tell them to clamp on the outside for my nice new wheel now has big gouges on the right side! I know you guys warned me about that but I forgot to tell them. Still, a shop with that much experience should know that is going to happen but I suppose if it was a car you wouldn't see them. I'll live with it since you cant see to much of a rear wheel on a wing. I was able to set the senders in reverse setting the rear first but with 30lbs in the rear I got the tmps in the slow flash (1hz) mode for about 3 miles on the test ride. Is this normal? It did go off but I just need to know if I will be seeing this every time until the tire heats up. Checking the pressure when I got back was up to 36lbs. So now for the results. Everything the darksiders were saying is correct. Smoooooness was the first thing I noticed. The handling is different but easy to get use to in a few miles. I'm not sure how its different but it just is. Maybe the bike tends to stand up faster on a corner. I did manage to scrape my boot toe ( not the pegs) on a couple corners and the bike felt well planted. Whatever it is, it isn't much different than hopping on different motorcycles and having to get that feel for that one within a few miles. Thanks for all the help and guidance in this transition. Jack

·
Registered
17 Posts
Enjoy the Dark Ride!

Ok, It is dark now! Got walmart to install the Alpin on my 2012. Do make sure you tell them to clamp on the outside for my nice new wheel now has big gouges on the right side! I know you guys warned me about that but I forgot to tell them. Still, a shop with that much experience should know that is going to happen but I suppose if it was a car you wouldn't see them. I'll live with it since you cant see to much of a rear wheel on a wing. I was able to set the senders in reverse setting the rear first but with 30lbs in the rear I got the tmps in the slow flash (1hz) mode for about 3 miles on the test ride. Is this normal? It did go off but I just need to know if I will be seeing this every time until the tire heats up. Checking the pressure when I got back was up to 36lbs. So now for the results. Everything the darksiders were saying is correct. Smoooooness was the first thing I noticed. The handling is different but easy to get use to in a few miles. I'm not sure how its different but it just is. Maybe the bike tends to stand up faster on a corner. I did manage to scrape my boot toe ( not the pegs) on a couple corners and the bike felt well planted. Whatever it is, it isn't much different than hopping on different motorcycles and having to get that feel for that one within a few miles. Thanks for all the help and guidance in this transition. Jack
I've run car tires on the back of my Valk and my Wing for many, many years and would never go back. You are right that there is a "feel" that you need to get used to, but that doesn't last very long. However, I recently switched to a run flat Pirelli on the back of my Wing and I have to say that the tire handles more like a traditional motorcycle tire than any other car tire I have ever run!!! I had a friend take a test drive because he was looking at switching to a Wing....he never even mentioned a different "feel" to the bike.... Love those run flat tires!!! Enjoy your rides!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Glad it worked for you!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts