GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked up the tire recommended by others on this site. I want to order the tire soon and last minute questions are hitting me. I have a 2006 Goldwing and looking to install a Yokohama Avid Envigor on the rear (195/55/16). Is there a front tire to use? I currently have E3 on the bike and a full set of Bridgestones bought already. Is there a Darkside front tire?

This will be my first time also using balancing beads. How many ounces?

I read 28-35 psi.

Is it hard to install a car tire myself? I have tire spoons when I did my dirt bike tires. People said dirt bikes are difficult, but with the spoons, it wasn't hard. Any tricks to know about? I heard a tire has a dot on it. Where does this go? Equal with stem or opposite the stem?

New to all of this, but hearing others advice would help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The darkside is a great way to get more mileage out of tires. There is a darkside forum on the sub board of this site. Lots of good info there to. As for dyna beads 2oz in the front 3oz in the rear Buy them with the installation bottle. Yoko is a great tire if it's a run flat tire pressure from 28 to 32 psi is were you want to be. As for the E3s i have gone threw 2 of them they suck with a car tire. There's a couple of tires that riders are getting up to 30,000 miles out of. The BT 45 Battlax I got 2000 miles on it and still looks brand new, BT 701 And the BT 706 hold up the best. It all depends on how you ride. But go to the darkside forum there you can learn what's others are using. Hope this helps you can PM me anytime.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I looked up the tire recommended by others on this site. I want to order the tire soon and last minute questions are hitting me. I have a 2006 Goldwing and looking to install a Yokohama Avid Envigor on the rear (195/55/16). I assume you are referring to the RF model (ZPS). The following responses assume so. The ZPS is a great tire. Is there a front tire to use? I currently have E3 on the bike and a full set of Bridgestones bought already. Is there a Darkside front tire? That usually depends on what kind of riding you generally do. If you primarily ride the slab or unaggressively on secondary roads, the BT45 is a great high-mileage tire, but will wear quickly on the edges in the twisties. If you primarily ride secondary roads and twisties with some aggression, the G709 is preferred by most. There don't seem to be too many E3 fans here.

This will be my first time also using balancing beads. How many ounces? 3 oz. in the rear. 2 oz. in the front.

I read 28-35 psi. That really depends on your riding style and locale. Some Floridians, where the only curves are interstate exit ramps, use as low as 26 psi. Those that live near the twisties and ride more aggressively will use as high as 37 psi. You will have to determine the pressure that is right for you by picking a good starting point in that range and adjusting from there. Your tire wear pattern will tell you all you need to know.

Is it hard to install a car tire myself? From what I understand, a NRF is not that difficult to mount yourself. The sidewalls are sufficiently flexible to allow such manipulation. The RFs are considerably more difficult, with the stiffer sidewalls. I have tire spoons when I did my dirt bike tires. People said dirt bikes are difficult, but with the spoons, it wasn't hard. Any tricks to know about? For that, you need to contact rail32, the resident expert in spooning. Paging Mr. rail32! I heard a tire has a dot on it. Where does this go? Equal with stem or opposite the stem? There are many thoughts on that, so the 'experts' will need to chime in on that. Paging Mr. rail32!

New to all of this, but hearing others advice would help.
It was just easier to put my responses directly in your post. Welcome to the Dark Side! Please keep us posted as to your progress and experiences. Thanks for the questions.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
What is your riding style like? Do you ride a lot of twisties...slab rider? Most here like the BS 709 and the Yoko for hard twisty riding and the the BT45/Alpin setup for mostly 2up slab riding. The latter will give you a Cadillac ride...very long tire life anywhere from 15K to 30K! Bike feels a little heavier with this combo. The 709/Yoko is more for the shredders at heart! Turn and burn the twisties with this combo!!

Alpin is a great tire...great traction...great ride and long life. It is the closest to a Motorcycle Tire feel and is good for 98% of all riders out there. The Yoko is a great tire. Reports are same as above except a little stiffer/harder feel. The key to this tire is...if you like to hammer the twisty's really hard...you will like the Yoko better.

And don't throw the D3 out...I know a person on this board that likes them better than the 709 and the BT45!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
It was just easier to put my responses directly in your post. Welcome to the Dark Side! Please keep us posted as to your progress and experiences. Thanks for the questions.
Nice job!! By the way...you left your boots in my trailer!? :lol:

·
Registered
7,374 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Bridgestone G709 right now ready to be installed. I was looking at the NRF Yokohama tire. I am seeing lots of people running the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP run flats. I live in Illinois and most our roads are flat and straight. I am going to the Smokies this summer and many other trips that will have loads of twisties. Sounds like my better choice will be the Michelin tire given where I live? I will try the Bridgestone G709 with the CT and then switch up the front later.

Any one using the non run flat versions? Sounds like I could do my own tires if I went this route. Need to find a place that will install the CT.

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep giving your opinions and I will keep everyone informed how I go and my results.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have the Bridgestone G709 right now ready to be installed. I was looking at the NRF Yokohama tire. I am seeing lots of people running the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP run flats. I live in Illinois and most our roads are flat and straight. I am going to the Smokies this summer and many other trips that will have loads of twisties. Sounds like my better choice will be the Michelin tire given where I live? I will try the Bridgestone G709 with the CT and then switch up the front later.

Any one using the non run flat versions? Sounds like I could do my own tires if I went this route. Need to find a place that will install the CT.

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep giving your opinions and I will keep everyone informed how I go and my results.
First...the Aplin will be perfect for you...second...NRF's can get pretty hairy (wobble!) when they go flat! There are warnings from the seasoned DS'ers out there about NRF tires. Best stick with a Run Flat for saftey sake!
Final...Walmart will change it for $5...just tell them to hold it on the outside of rim and if asked...it is a customer trailer tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First...the Aplin will be perfect for you...second...NRF's can get pretty hairy (wobble!) when they go flat! There are warnings from the seasoned DS'ers out there about NRF tires. Best stick with a Run Flat for saftey sake!
Final...Walmart will change it for $5...just tell them to hold it on the outside of rim and if asked...it is a customer trailer tire.

Good info to know. I was thinking Alpin would be better. Any recommended place to buy? Searching it now.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tirerack is crazy!!!! I lost my other saved cart information when I added this one. This wasn't a choice when I did a tire search by size or company!!!!!! What the heck! I had a Primacy or Pilot Sport in my searches and was about to ask what one was the PA3.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Tirerack is crazy!!!! I lost my other saved cart information when I added this one. This wasn't a choice when I did a tire search by size or company!!!!!! What the heck! I had a Primacy or Pilot Sport in my searches and was about to ask what one was the PA3.
Yep. Their website is weird that way. You can search by manufacturer or size, and the Alpin doesn't show up. But you can Google it and it goes straight to their Alpin page. Go figure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. Their website is weird that way. You can search by manufacturer or size, and the Alpin doesn't show up. But you can Google it and it goes straight to their Alpin page. Go figure.
I will order this tire tomorrow. I have a bank that pays 3% interest if I maintain so many transactions per month, so tomorrow is start of my new cycle. Looks like I will have it by the next day. Maybe I will install it the same day and hold my E3 as an emergency spare. Not wore out yet, but I need to get use to the change before going into the Smokies in July.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Question

WELCOME to the Darkside. I'm on my third BT-45 and have no problems. There are several good front tires to choose from. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed the 195/55R16 Yokohama Avid ENVigor non run flat. Love it!

Read that people are afraid to lay the bike down to change the tire?? They say it will break the foot pegs? Hog wash!!! The foot peg and brake pedal still have clearance and doesn't touch the ground. Now if you do it in the lawn, yes, maybe, but use blanket or cardboard to protect the guards on concrete and no issues!! Very easy to lay bike down and to pick up.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pix

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
mounting your own

Just did my own Alpin RF. Got 1 side on no problem, just had to stand on it and bounce, front tire same BT45, could not get 2nd bead on. Took tires to my local car garage, used his rim clamp tire machine to get 2nd beads on, fast, no problem, and no charge.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts