GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am going darkside and am looking at the yokohama avid touring-S and I see some posts about 205-55-16 tires being used and some of them rub a little I have also seen Murgie's helpful info sheet and i just want to make sure the tire i get will fit without problems. On tirerack.com the 205-55-16 runs section width of 8.5 inches and 24.9 inches tall and the 205-60-16 shows section width is 8.2 but grows to 25.6 inches tall so I know this would clear the swing arm but am i getting to tall for the fender?
I see on murgie's site they show a Goodyear Triple Treads 205/60R/16 as an option and in the bike tires a tire with the same dimentions but just want to be clear.
Any help would be great I see the wear of this tire is 620 so should get lots of miles from it.
Thanks to everyone for all the help ive been studing the Darkside for hours apon hours.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
John is right.Seeing you are a new poster/member "WELCOME".:thumbup:

Anyone who mentions CAR TIRE around here will be responsible for getting the Naysayers to CRAP their diapers! right laen.:thumbup:

So to avoid these tantrums by the not so bright.The board owner created the Darkside board where intelligent grown men swap information of what has proven to be a SAFER tire than the crap OEM tires that everyone seems to have so many issues with lately.

Just go to Johns link and enjoy.:thumbup:

·
Vendor
18,600 Posts
I saw a Darksider trying to do a U-turn in the Smokies. I was reminded how stupid a car tire choice was on a motorcycle. I wonder if the dark siders take their m/c tires and run them on their car?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Tell us how you really feel, Rocky. :lol:

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What Rocky said. :agree:

Welcome to the Madd House and enjoy the ride. You can do anything on a Wing with a CT that you can with a MC tire. Some bikes that isn't true, but you run out of bank angle before running out of tread on the Wing.

Happy Hunting

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I saw a Darksider trying to do a U-turn in the Smokies. I was reminded how stupid a car tire choice was on a motorcycle. I wonder if the dark siders take their m/c tires and run them on their car?

Come on Greg.Why would you do that to your car when they aren't safe on your MC.:eek:4:

Every time I read a thread here of a tire Delaminating,I'm reminded why so many folks are waking up to the FACT that no MT manufacture can build a tire as SAFE as a BMT for a bike or Riders this heavy!:eek:4:

Over a few million miles of no "crash n burn" victims yet..LOL
What's under your a$$.:22yikes: :joke:

·
Registered
57 Posts
My question is why are you stsrting out with the largest size tire you can cram under a wing a 205 /16? Most darksiders run a 195/55/16 in a rof and nrf 195/55 or 60/16. I thinks you need to do a little more resurch before you make the jump to the DS. Alot of folks have problems with the 205 rubbing the swingarm and all Being it's your first time I would chose a 195 /55 or60 and see what it's all about. My personel choise is a Dunlop SP Sport 5000 nrf Very stiff sidewalls and I'm running 34 psi from the start and have not had any sidewall flex in cornering and gives a great comfort ride. Start with one you know want cause you a lot of troble mounting and possible rubbing troubles. For what it's worth that's my opinion.:roll:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any DS having trouble making U turns with a CT? Not me. And "Expert misinformation" available here on this sub forum? That pre-supposes that all those on the other forums are EXPERTS in . . . what, Information?? Really !! :wrong: Glad we have free speech and the ability to make our own choices. :bow:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can do a slow close turn figure 8 on my C/T with no problems.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum Simonb!:thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ya I'v seen not all but a great deal of the folks that ride wings that can't u-turn a wing without walking the bike with there feet daggin the ground with a MT. Myself I have found there tobe no difference with a CT on any maneuver you can do with a MT. Even at speeds over 100mph. But most of the old blue hairs that ride a wing can't get out of there on way. Not including myself that is. Becareful I'm gettting myself in trouble aren't I?:lol:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Sure Greg, I go to the bike shops and go out back and pick up the old mc tires and put them on my wife's car. I even mix bias and radials. Side to side and front to back. And they don't even have to be the same size.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Sure Greg, I go to the bike shops and go out back and pick up the old mc tires and put them on my wife's car. I even mix bias and radials. Side to side and front to back. And they don't even have to be the same size.
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Sounds like my skid steer set up. I should run Dunnie E-3 on it. I got 3 now all I need is one more . Hummnn should turn on a dime then ;)

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Ya I'v seen not all but a great deal of the folks that ride wings that can't u-turn a wing without walking the bike with there feet daggin the ground with a MT. Myself I have found there tobe no difference with a CT on any maneuver you can do with a MT. Even at speeds over 100mph. But most of the old blue hairs that ride a wing can't get out of there on way. Not including myself that is. Becareful I'm gettting myself in trouble aren't I?:lol:
Hey wait, that's me! You forgot to mention my Buick though.:lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My question is why are you stsrting out with the largest size tire you can cram under a wing a 205 /16? Most darksiders run a 195/55/16 in a rof and nrf 195/55 or 60/16. I thinks you need to do a little more resurch before you make the jump to the DS. Alot of folks have problems with the 205 rubbing the swingarm and all Being it's your first time I would chose a 195 /55 or60 and see what it's all about. My personel choise is a Dunlop SP Sport 5000 nrf Very stiff sidewalls and I'm running 34 psi from the start and have not had any sidewall flex in cornering and gives a great comfort ride. Start with one you know want cause you a lot of troble mounting and possible rubbing troubles. For what it's worth that's my opinion.:roll:
like i said I have done alot of research and the most popular tire seems to be the hankook or khumo in the 195/55/16 and there section width is 7.9" versus a kumho ventus in 205 at 8.6" which is 3/4 of an inch wider so i think ill be good with the .3" more width and the reason I went with this tire is it has a utqg rating of 620 versus 420 or less in the 195 sizes. so I feel I will get better milage from the tire with no swingarm wear and also a little taller so will help ( although very marginally ) on the gas milage.

I must add I have ordered the tire and It will be in work tomorrow am and I will put it on when I have closed for the day :excited: So i will drive it and when I make it home I shall let you all know how it went.
Thanks for the help. BTW i also have the bt45 on order and will put that on backwards on thursday night also will be running the dyna beads in both front and rear 2oz front 3oz rear. Then its off to California this weekend for a 3000 mile trip in 1 week woohoo!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have a great trip tp Cali. Welcome to the DARKSIDE.:congrats:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Have a safe trip, and enjoy your new shoe!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts