GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the threads about darkside adventures, decided to go darkside with the Goodyear Triple tread. My question has to do with the front tire. Is there any difference in handling and feel between the Bridgestone 709 and BT-45? I can find the 709 locally (Wichita, Ks.),the BT-45 in not available, can be ordered but can not find it in the 130 millimeter, only in 110 millimeter. Is the BT-45 built in the 130 millimeter size?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bt 45

I have the BT 45. You have to look for the rear tire in the BT45 to get the 130 width. Can't speak to the 709, but I love the BattleAx so far (5k miles and no sign of wear). The middle wears like iron for the slab and I love the handling in the twistees (Dragon, Cherohala, Devil's Triangle, Hell Bender, etc). :bow:

Oh, some places don't want to mount a rear tire on a front rim (local mousetown Harley dealer for one). :shrug:

·
Registered
425 Posts
OBTW, Welcome to the Darkside.:coffee1::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Can't answer question on the front tire but welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I like my BT-45. I ride "spirited" in the twisties and the tire suits me fine

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I have had the bt -45, I only use the 709. Best bang for the buck hands down!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I like my BT-45. I ride "spirited" in the twisties and the tire suits me fine
The BT45 does work just fine in the twisties, however, two weekends of curves on my last one resulted in the sides half gone and it was feathered significantly. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Stone 709 :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
24 Posts
So which is best???

Fellow Darksiders -

I've been away for a while,(I see DS #'s over 200!), but it's time for a new front tire, and will be going double DS. :excited: I see all the talk about the "45" and then "709".

1. Are they both radials? Bias Ply? Both Bridgestone?
2. Is one Radial and the other bias ply?
3. I see great reviews on both (even have opposing views from Orlando and Lake Placid - what, 90 miles apart (with one turn between).:shrug:

I suppose both are "rear tires". Is the common approach still as it was a couple of years ago - to mount in "reverse rotation" as designed for rear mounting?

Thanks to someone for taking the time to answer all of these questions soon. I leave for Mobile on Thursday (driving through atropical storm it seems), and I need info FAST.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
The BT - 45 is a bias ply tire. It doesn't seem to make much difference in the rotation so either way should suit you fine. If you only turn once a day or aren't the most aggressive rider in the twisties, the BT 45 will give you all the miles you can handle. Bear in mind that it is a dual compound tire and has much softer compound on the sides of the tread. It will wear faster and feather (read cup) on you if you don't keep the pressure up to around 40 or more psi.

The G709 Stone is my favorite, as it doesn't cup, holds well on wet roads and gets decent mileage. It is a radial tire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Welcome to the darkside and enjoy the smoother ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The BT - 45 is a bias ply tire. It doesn't seem to make much difference in the rotation so either way should suit you fine. If you only turn once a day or aren't the most aggressive rider in the twisties, the BT 45 will give you all the miles you can handle. Bear in mind that it is a dual compound tire and has much softer compound on the sides of the tread. It will wear faster and feather (read cup) on you if you don't keep the pressure up to around 40 or more psi.

The G709 Stone is my favorite, as it doesn't cup, holds well on wet roads and gets decent mileage. It is a radial tire.
Thanks, Murgie. I guess I failed to mention that I wanted to put a rear MC tire on my front rim. It's not clear to me (and I'm a sorry researcher) if either of the tires in question are designed for the rear of a MC. Oh, and to my surprise, it appears as thought the Darkside numbers are approaching or have exceeded 1,000. Awesome. Never going back, I say.:superman1:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the darkside and enjoy the smoother ride.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hey Darrell, you had better go back and check his Darksider number!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hey Darrell, you had better go back and check his Darksider number!:lol::lol::lol:
Yeah, shame on me.:oops: I just noticed that the last time I logged on was like Dec. '08. I assure you I've been a darksider from early in the game. Saved me and my grandson's lives once with my first run flat and rapid deflation at Interstate++ speed. I'm a lifer. Wish I had more time to hang out here with all you good people.:coffee1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts