GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fyi anyone considering going darkside on a 2018 goldwing and is running a trailer hitch the 205/55/16 michelin drive guard run flat will not fit ask me how i know. I had to run out to tire kingdom and spend another $167 for a 195/55/16. That size fits with the trailer hitch like a glove. I run a show chrome trailer hitch. I know someone else had issues with the rivco hitch too. Huge thank you to Denis Turcotte of the fl2g fort myers yellow jackets for putting up with all the tire issues and for the install

Attachments

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Sorry to hear this. The new wing handles so good I don't see why anyone would want to change this just for tire life longevity and possibly run flat advantages. I ran a Michelin Run Flat on my 2010 for about 22K miles and it does not handle as easy, lean input needs to be increase and uneven roads are a down right hazard. As stated flat safety is increased and tire life is doubled. DS is not state of the art for touring or any other type of two wheel motorcycle riding. For mostly highway riding I see the advantages. I think you posted it in a non DS Forum to help justify your choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear this. The new wing handles so good I don't see why anyone would want to change this just for tire life longevity and possibly run flat advantages. I ran a Michelin Run Flat on my 2010 for about 22K miles and it does not handle as easy, lean input needs to be increase and uneven roads are a down right hazard. As stated flat safety is increased and tire life is doubled. DS is not state of the art for touring or any other type of two wheel motorcycle riding. For mostly highway riding I see the advantages. I think you posted it in a non DS Forum to help justify your choice. Good luck!
I dont need justification for my choice. It handles just fine thanks. I dont notice a difference. And i posted in the 2018 forum because its a problem specific to 2018 goldwings running a trailer hitch. But to each his own i was just putting my experience with a new bike in the forum dedicated to said new bike. Not for the need to feel justified. My tire life run flat capability ect with justify it for me. But thank you for your opinion.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I dont need justification for my choice. It handles just fine thanks. I dont notice a difference. And i posted in the 2018 forum because its a problem specific to 2018 goldwings running a trailer hitch. But to each his own i was just putting my experience with a new bike in the forum dedicated to said new bike. Not for the need to feel justified. My tire life run flat capability ect with justify it for me. But thank you for your opinion.

You are welcome!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Fyi anyone considering going darkside on a 2018 goldwing and is running a trailer hitch the 205/55/16 michelin drive guard run flat will not fit ask me how i know. I had to run out to tire kingdom and spend another $167 for a 195/55/16. That size fits with the trailer hitch like a glove. I run a show chrome trailer hitch. I know someone else had issues with the rivco hitch too. Huge thank you to Denis Turcotte of the fl2g fort myers yellow jackets for putting up with all the tire issues and for the install
Thank you for the post. I am sure this info will help others make the right choice.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts

Lays over nicely. Thanks for the heads up.:grin2:
I don't have a hitch, a 195 or a 205 would be a good choice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
What are you doing with the Michelin?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you doing with the Michelin?
Already sold

·
Registered
236 Posts
In addition to great tire life and run flat capability as noted earlier they are GREAT in the rain. Way deeper rain grooves on them than MC tires. Also higher weight rating and temperature rating for those running 2 up pulling trailers in the heat (When I was dark side running 2 up with a full trailer across the badlands at 87mph it was 104 outside and the pavement was baking!). They also disperse weight well for campgrounds and dirt/gravel roads. Deeper tread works well on dirt roads in the rain. And larger contact patch works well for straight line acceleration.

My insurance didn’t mention anything about the Darkside tire clearly visible when I totaled my 2003 and it was on its side in the impound yard showing the tire easily to those that looked.

About the only negative of going Darkside is finding a shop to mount it and comments from people that have never tried it/tried it only a short time saying it’s dangerous and riders will crash almost immediately with them.

Can’t wait to burn up my stock tire in about 2 months of riding this season so that I can go Darkside.

Thanks for posting this in the 2018 specific board as it directly pertains to riders with 2018+ bike’s planning to go Darkside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In addition to great tire life and run flat capability as noted earlier they are GREAT in the rain. Way deeper rain grooves on them than MC tires. Also higher weight rating and temperature rating for those running 2 up pulling trailers in the heat (When I was dark side running 2 up with a full trailer across the badlands at 87mph it was 104 outside and the pavement was baking!). They also disperse weight well for campgrounds and dirt/gravel roads. Deeper tread works well on dirt roads in the rain. And larger contact patch works well for straight line acceleration.

My insurance didn’t mention anything about the Darkside tire clearly visible when I totaled my 2003 and it was on its side in the impound yard showing the tire easily to those that looked.

About the only negative of going Darkside is finding a shop to mount it and comments from people that have never tried it/tried it only a short time saying it’s dangerous and riders will crash almost immediately with them.

Can’t wait to burn up my stock tire in about 2 months of riding this season so that I can go Darkside.

Thanks for posting this in the 2018 specific board as it directly pertains to riders with 2018+ bike’s planning to go Darkside.
Of course it gets moved to the dark side forum. Without explanation. Again. Sent a pm to moderators the last time they moved my post here and of course it goes un answered. Bunch of pretentious pricks if u ask me **** this place

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Of course it gets moved to the dark side forum. Without explanation. Again. Sent a pm to moderators the last time they moved my post here and of course it goes un answered. Bunch of pretentious pricks if u ask me **** this place

I don't understand it either. This is a 2018 Board, tires pertain to motorcycling, people have different likes and stories and opinions, What's the difference between say a tire and a different seat or maybe hiway pegs?:smile2:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Darkside

I don't understand it either. This is a 2018 Board, tires pertain to motorcycling, people have different likes and stories and opinions, What's the difference between say a tire and a different seat or maybe hiway pegs?:smile2:
See the description on the Darkside group. It says all Darkside threads will be moved to this group. The owners of the board do not want it to appear they support using Darkside tires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Careful now, comparing or offering new products and offering personal experiences with those products can get you permanently banned from groups...like the 2018-2019 Goldwing Facebook group...*Based upon personal experience ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
By the time I finished my post saying it was a good 2018 Board post as it directly related to the 2018 it had already been moved. At least maybe if someone was to use the search function and search the 2018 forum only for “Darkside” it might still populate results for this thread as it shows the “Moved: xxxxxx” topic still in that section.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Are you going to use the "peanuts" vs Dyna Beads? Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
I am not the mod that moved this thread , but would have . For your info another member reported it as being on wrong board . It belongs here and I am sorry that you do not think so. What I am not going to be sorry for is telling you after your last line is do not let the door hit ya on way out . We have a great deal of great members that abide by the rules set and are fine with them and us volunteer moderators .
Rail

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
See the description on the Darkside group. It says all Darkside threads will be moved to this group. The owners of the board do not want it to appear they support using Darkside tires.
Exactly , this rule was established what before I was a member here .

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Now please let's get this back to the topic . Any other questions pm me and I assure you I will answer ASAP normally within 48 hours .
Rail

1 - 20 of 39 Posts