GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some forum searching and found the 1999 Boss Hoss was factory equipped with a rear CT on it which would mean it passed government safety standards/testing.

My main fear of mounting a rf CT is possible insurance denial if involved in a accident, I'm loaded for bear with accidental/injury supplemental insurance.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse even more, but this would seem to give Darksiders a legal ground to stand on?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well the ole insurance debate. :lol: A legitimate concern I suppose if you are new to the game. But any concerns are unfounded.

In the USA, tires are DOT approved, for road use, not vehicle use. Unless the tire specifically says on it, for off road only or for wheel barrel only, it is all cool.

Call your insurance agent and ask him or her, but realize they may not even know the answer. They may tell you we allow huge oversize tires on jeeps and SUV vehicles, we know they are more subject to roll over, but we have no way to prohibit this.

About the only concern is a bald tire, then you would be subject to maybe what they call negligence.

My answer to anyone who says insurance will be denied is simple. Ask them to provide a documented case of any insurance claim denied on any motorcycle due to the use of a CT only. No some other factor but the use of the tire only. In the last 7 years no one has ever been able to provide this documentation. It simply is not so.

Besides, if you get rear ended, or T bone a car, or get run over, what does the tire have to do with it?? Nothing of course.

Tis all common sense.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The miles and distances you ride, good to see you're considering the safest alternative. BTW, this insurance topic has been beat to death. Just go for it. :yes1:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Yep. Agree with Kit & Wingjammer. No documented cases have ever been provided and believe me if the naysayers could find one they'd produce it.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Yep. Agree with Kit & Wingjammer. No documented cases have ever been provided and believe me if the naysayers could find one they'd produce it.
Add another to the list of:agree:!:thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a kuhmo rf 195/55/16 from a local tire shop, it will be in tomorrow. Already half darkside with the pilot r on the front.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Kit is right. Since no one has crashed and died due to a CT, the insurance scare is now the favorite weapon of the naysayers. It is all a bunch of "what if" nonsense.

I'm more worried about a MT blowing out on me than I am about being denied a claim. There are just to many folks safely operating motorcycles on CTs for the arguement to be seriously considered by an insurance company. And to date, nobody is able to provide a documented case that such a claim denial has occured. Plenty of arm chair lawyers will tell you differently though. :roll:

Wonder what the next scare tactic will be? :shrug:

·
Registered
191 Posts
:agree:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts