GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for Sept road trip and taking the Wing to the Darkside. I'm not unfamiliar with going dark as my ST1300 is double dark.

I'm installing a Hankook Optimo H426 RF and a Bridgestone BT46. Prior experience with a BT45 on my ST tells me to run 40psi. I haven't used Dynabeads prior but will use 2oz in the BT46. 3oz will go into the Hankook.

My question is does this sound right and what psi to start out with on the Hankook?
Also, I've read about swapping the TPMS sensors front to back. Why?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I ran double darkside I put 38 in the Battleax one up and 40 2 up and loaded. I never had a Hankook but the other run flats I had I ran 32 one up and 34 2up with my Unigo trailer. I didn't have tpms.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 2nd Gen
1,571 Posts
40-42 always worked for me with the BT45.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
599 Posts
Never had Hankook. Have run a few Driveguards, started with 32, got some cupping, went to 28lbs, and much happier. YMMV....IMHO....FWIW..... (3 oz. of Dynabeads)

Vote "Yes" on having TPMS, otherwise rear RF may go "flat" and not be aware of it for quite a while....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Never had Hankook. Have run a few Driveguards, started with 32, got some cupping, went to 28lbs, and much happier. YMMV....IMHO....FWIW..... (3 oz. of Dynabeads)

Vote "Yes" on having TPMS, otherwise rear RF may go "flat" and not be aware of it for quite a while....
Wait, WHAT??? LOWERING your tire pressure cured your cupping issue? BOOM! (head explodes) If you confirm that's what you meant, I have learned my nugget for the day!

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Swapping tpms allows the sensors to operate in the pressure range they're programmed for without the need to electronically swap/re-register them. The bt46 has ~41 psi, which is the normal rear sensor pressure, all good. The rear RF runs ~30-32 psi, which is ~4psi lower than the normal ~36 psi the front sensor is used to seeing.

So when you first start out riding in the morning the tpms light will flash because the pressure is a bit low. As you go riding the tire will heat up and raise pressure into the normal range, clearing the tpms light. And that is why tpms sensors are swapped when running double dark...

Reactions: Andy Cote

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ssncob. That's what I thought but just wanted verification.

• Helpful
Reactions: ssncob

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wait, WHAT??? LOWERING your tire pressure cured your cupping issue? BOOM! (head explodes) If you confirm that's what you meant, I have learned my nugget for the day!
Maybe got the terminology wrong. Just repeating what my "tire guy" told me. Had excessive wear on the crown of tire, reducing pressure evened out the wear. Maybe I've learned something today?.

Reactions: Fido57

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Double Dark tires have arrived!
Ignore my quick on/quick off walk outside shoes. :giggle:

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Reactions: ssncob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Hankook was my third choice. But the Yoko and Pirelli won't be in stock until too close to my Sept trip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts