GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was afraid it was going to happen and the other day, my knee gave out and I went down at a light. The crash bars did their job and since I wasn't moving and on dirt, no scratches or anything. I'm just glad momma wasn't on with me. I definitely going to a trike. I called a place that converts them and they quoted me $17-20,000 to convert mine. I can find bikes already triked for less than that. All the ones I liked were sold before I called. I went by the H-D dealer where I bought my '02 to see if they have any GL1800 trikes. They didn't and wanted to show me a triglide. Yeah right, $32,000. Nope. They did however, have a 2012 Can-Am Spyder.

I'm not thrilled with the color, but otherwise, it looks pretty good. I didn't have my gear with me so I didn't road test it, it I liked the way it handled in the parking lot though. My knee loved it. Afterward, I got to looking at capacities and where the GL1800 has a 425 cargo capacity, the Can-Am has 525. Plenty for me and the GF and some luggage for short trips.

I know it's heresy to ask this on a Goldwing site but it's either a 3 wheeler I can afford or quit riding altogether. The local dealer wants $13,900 for it with 17K on the clock. there's a dealer about 100 miles away with another 2012 in Lava Bronze (looks sort of turd brown to me) with 4K on the clock for $13,495. That one was built in GPS. Except for the distance and color, it seems perfect.

Has anybody got any experience or know anybody with a Can-Am Spyder? The poop colored one is an RT Limited.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Go to www.spyderlovers.com to get a lot of information on the Spyders.

The one thing that you should consider is that the newer Spyders starting in 2014 (I think,) have a 1330 cc triple engine versus the older models have a 998 cc v-twin. The newer setup is considered superior by many.

Dave

·
Registered
293 Posts
ol' grouch, you can get a ton of info on many, many trikes over at: www.triketalk.com
PapaZook (Randy) runs that board over there and also owns a shop north of Houston that has done many, many conversions.
I've seen his work close up and personal and he does a good job.
I have an '06 GW trike that I had converted (NOT done by Randy...wish it was) using a Roadsmith kit back in 2013. I will say this: whoever does the conversion is just as important, IF not more important as to what kit manufacturer you go with. The used market is also pretty good right now as well.
Mine was a horror story and I ended up doing a complete disassembly in my shop and rebuilding it to get it back right. It was not Roadsmith's doing, but the conversion shop.
IF you want more info, PM me and I'll assist you anyway I can.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
There are 2 Spyder Rt’s in my family.... father-in-law and brother-in-law. They both like them.... although the brother-in-law is kind of tired of all the plastic that needs to be removed to do anything. He hates oil changes. ..... but he’s also the type of guy that tends to like change and gets tired of anything pretty fast. My father-in-law really likes his. Both the wives like them and are comfortable on them.

Get the big engine if you get one .... 1330cc.

My wife has a Harley trike.... she loves it. I couldn’t talk her into a Spyder.

My big multi brand dealer sells a ton of Spyders. The salesman told me he has couples come in to look at and buy Goldwings and then buy and ride off on Spyders. They sell very few Goldwings.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you are getting an RT Spyder go with the 1330 engine so you need to get a 2014 and up go get that engine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
This is my sister in law's Can Am near Portland Oregon. She is giving up riding because my brother has health issues and can no longer ride his bike.

You won't find better people and they go way overboard in keeping their vehicles in tip top shape.

It has the 1330 motor.

PM me if interested.

2014 CAN-AM SPYDER RT-S SE6 (SEMI AUTOMATIC) FOR SALE

MILEAGE 15,235 & counting.

COLOR:* COGNAC/BLACK TRIM

EXCELLENT CONDITION, RIDDEN 400 MILES SINCE LAST SERVICE, NEW REAR TIRE AND BRAKE PADS. THIS SPYDER IS RIDE READY.

ACCESSORIES:

CAN-AM TRI AXIS ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBARS

DRIVER BACKREST
WIND DEFLECTORS
TRAVEL COVER
FULL SET OF LUGGAGE CUSTOM PERFORMANCE SWAY BAR AND BUMP SKID.

CUSTOM DYNAMICS &
TRIC LED TRUNK/FENDER LIGHTING INTERGRATED WITH TURN SIGNALS/BRAKE
KOTT GRILLS
SHORT ANTENNA

RIVCO DOUBLE FLAG LICENSE PLATE KIT.

PRICE: $18,300.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm glad I posted here. I'm learning a lot to consider. We don't have a BRP dealer anywhere around here so dealer work may be an issue. I'm also seeing a lot of complaints about engine heat on the machines. Between work and other demands on my time, it may be a bit before I can get anything. I'd rather stay with a 'Wing. Just finding a reasonable priced machine is getting hard. One I looked at before I bought my current bike is still for sale (2 years later) and he hasn't dropped the price much. It was a pile of used parts then and doesn't look any different.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Have you looked at a Polaris slingshot? They are a hoot to drive and you have a very active group in your area. There are lots events to attend. Oh and they use a GM 2.4 ecotec engine that has been around forever. Here is a list of events. Yes, I have a slingshot and a wing. Btw you sit side by side there is storage behind the seats and if you need more sissy bar bags attached to the roll bars or a trailer hitch.https://slingshotroadsters.com/slingshot-events-map/#fusion-tab-slingshotroadsterevents

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a Spyder RT, so does my partner. I've owner the earlier V twin and the current 3 cylinder 1330.
It has become my machine of choice for touring.

I enjoyed the V twin more than the 1330, though lower top speed because is has a bit less top end power, it was quicker in acceleration at usable speeds and the suspension was crisper because it uses nylon front suspension wishbone bearings. The 1330 used rubber bushes so it's plusher but less precise. However, the V twin has smaller brakes and noticeably poorer braking. The V twin is also warmer to ride because the exhausts are big diameter and closer to the body panels. I actually liked the warmth and miss it on my 1330. It'll depend on your local climate I guess.

For me a much better leg position than the Goldwing and I never ache at the end of a day's ride. There is an accessory seat which puts you back about 2" and I think that's worth having it also can come heated where the standard one doesn't. Again that'll be a climate preference. The rear seat is fine too but not quite got the GW luxury though I sat on it for a 400 miles trip and I was ok. Rear passenger foot plates are adjustable over a good range too.

If you do your own servicing, the talk of panel removal is a none issue, once you know where the fasteners are it's just a couple of minutes max to remove them. The V twin is more involved for an oil change than the 1330 but neither is an issue after you've done it once.

I've not ridden a GW trike so can't give you a comparison. I note that your knee gave out, I presume your shoulders are ok, a trike needs you to pull the bars to turn, unlike a bike which just requires you to countersteer.

Anything else you need to know, just ask away.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I converted my 2010 wing last season to a ROADSMITH trike (noticed that I shouted Roadsmith) I'm 68 years old and in fairly good health, BUT I can honestly say that after I converted to three wheels I will never look backI truly love riding three (It's a different type of ride/I do have to say/not as smooth as two wheels/BUT more fun..........and no worries about falling over ever again...and your still out there with the wind in your face.............

Ronnie

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you looked at a Polaris slingshot? They are a hoot to drive and you have a very active group in your area. There are lots events to attend. Oh and they use a GM 2.4 ecotec engine that has been around forever. Here is a list of events. Yes, I have a slingshot and a wing. Btw you sit side by side there is storage behind the seats and if you need more sissy bar bags attached to the roll bars or a trailer hitch.https://slingshotroadsters.com/slingshot-events-map/#fusion-tab-slingshotroadsterevents

There is a dealer with several new and used units for sale. I like them but SHE doesn't. she wants to sit behind me with her arms around me. I've also seen several really nice convertible cars but she doesn't want one of those either.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have done a couple years of reading and research on Spyder, more specifically the RT Limited, actually read the SpyderLovers forum most every day. I ride a 2005 GW/with 2012 conversion, it's a fine trike conversion, but has always been a rough rider, especially over rough pavement, most always ride two up, so the Mrs, is not totally happy with that. After a 400 miles, I feel beat up, but that's a long trip, so could be a natural thing. As for the rough ride, that's my impression, the rear springs are adjusted as far out as they will go, I have tried low air pressure and everything in between, no joy. I am slow about selling it, or thinking about a trade in for a Spyder. First, dealers want to give you squat for your trade in, but I suppose that's normal. I demo'd a Spyder with the wife, we both love the ride, and couldn't find anything we didn't like, the suspension was so fun compare to the Road Smith, like we could do a 500 mile day with ease and not feel beat up, but again it was just a demo ride. Down side, I'm not working on the thing if I got one, so if ya don't do the maintenance, it gets way expensive with dealers. Dealers are hit and miss on the work they do, our local shop has an awful reputation, that's scary. But, compare that with my GW trike, GW dealers I've dealt with just don't want to touch the thing because of the age, and because it's a trike. Feature being 500 miles from home and the dread Fi light comes on, man, that can ruin a journey in a hurry. I experienced that on my last trip to TN, and I live in FL, the closest dealer said in no uncertain terms, "nope", and he was not delicate about his answer, now that will give you pause, he had no concern about my problem, he just said try somewhere else. Now, I'm thinking, there are Spyder dealers that will at least work on the things if you're out on the road with a problem, it may not be good work, but hopefully it will get you home. OK, I got a bit strung out on this, I'll quit now.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have followed the CanAm since it was introduced. I have test rode them multiple times as they have made upgrades over the years. I think they have really worked hard to keep customers happy, especially with the power assist steering failing in the early ones!
As I get older I want to be up to speed on the available trike options. I think CanAm has a real viable option for many, however I have a continuing erk with these.
I recommend more test rides.
I feel someone coming from a ATV would blend - adapt right into these. But coming from a Goldwing, my greatest issue is not losing the ability to lean. It all has to do with all the road shock transferred from the front wheels, up the handlebars and into my shoulders. Every little bump, even driving into a driveway comes right to my arms. I suppose I could get used to that and relax my arms at least on predictable bumps. But I just am not comfortable with the ride.
Again this is going from buttery smooth 2-wheel Goldwing to the CanAm.
As I said I think they are a great alternative option for 3 wheels. Everyone should get what works the best for them. Me... the jury is still out, but I'm leaning towards a triked Wing for now. And that notion can inded change.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
712 Posts
Interesting observation, when I perceived just the opposite doing a 2018 demo ride on the RTL. As opposed to my Road Smith, I felt the suspension was so much better on the RTL. Go figure....

·
Registered
263 Posts
Keep looking here and on TrikeTalk.com for used GW1800 Trikes. There are some real deals to be found. I bought our 2012 GW1800 California Sidecar Trike two years ago this june with 6K miles, warranty until 2020 for 8 thousand less than market. A fine gentleman from the forum discovered his wife couldn't ride anymore and just wanted to move it quickly for a cash sale. I hooked up the trailer and drove from KY to Oklahoma City and picked it up. We love the ride. So just keep watching I think you'll find something and probably quicker than you think.
Bill

·
Registered
608 Posts
I definitely going to a trike. I called a place that converts them and they quoted me $17-20,000 to convert mine. I can find bikes already triked for less than that

$17k to $20k is outragious for a standard trike conversion

In 2015 I had my 2010 converted with a CSC Cobra XL kit. I got every option but the parking brake and trailer hitch for $14,400. I've since added the hitch. :grin2:

Prices have probably gone up some in 4 years--but not that much.

Call around and get some new quotes--it's not as expensive as you think.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
But coming from a Goldwing, my greatest issue is not losing the ability to lean. It all has to do with all the road shock transferred from the front wheels, up the handlebars and into my shoulders. Every little bump, even driving into a driveway comes right to my arms.
Mmm, I wonder what you are doing to make the ride so harsh, I don't find that an issue at all. The ride isn't quite a soft as on the Goldwing because you are dealing with two front wheels which are travelling over different parts of the road surface but I wouldn't describe it as harsh just different. To put it in perspective, my partner is 69 years old, 5ft 3 and 9 stone so not a bruser lady and we ride all day every day for weeks on end and don't have an issue. You've gotta be doing something wrong or it's a wonky Spyder or your roads are seriously in need of resurfacing! >:)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I am a member of spyderlovers.com. I posted a friendly inquirery about the shock to my shoulders on their tech site a few years ago. The response I got was.....Yes, but the shocks can be changed along with other modifications to improve the ride.
My recent test ride did not indicate any real improvement. But this all boils down to the Spyder is not a Goldwing. So there are some specific differences indeed.
It's still a interesting forward thinking design.

Corventure Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts