GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order tires and have decided to go with the Avon Venom R.

I plan on getting the standard size for the front (Size 130/70R18 63H), but I am strongly considering going with the larger Valkyrie rear tire (180/70R16 77H).

Of course my Honda dealer says that this is a bad idea, along with using Amsoil and everything and anything else that is not “per the book” so I would like to have some feedback from those of you who have gone with the 70R tire in the rear.

Does it effect your riding position since it will raise the rear slightly, etc?

My Wing is already higher because I had Progressive Springs installed (front and back), but it seems that the back went up more than the front. Even loaded with luggage I ride with the pre-load at ZERO.

Any info would be appreciated.

I want like to order them now so I can get the 10% off being offered by HondaDirect.

Thanks – Happy Holidays – and RIDE SAFE!

DonNJ

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don I put the 70 series Bridgestone on the rear on mine and I love it. The bike really lays into the turns nicely and it corrected the speedo also. My only complaint which is really minor is that the rear tire no longer raises off the floor when on the center stand. I'll definitely do it again.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have about 5,000 miles on a rear Avon 70 series.

I like the lower RPMs. I like the almost accurate speedometer.

I do not like the slightly fishy-squirrelly feeling, but I guess I
can't have my cake & eat it too?

When I was running with the pack at Wingstock, I kept wishing
that 2nd gear was lower with the 70 series on, as I couldn't go
down to 1st in the tight twisties, but second never seamed revved
up enough to pull out of the corner with great torque. I was traveling
2-up with a heavy operator (me) and some extras in the saddlebags.

I don't know if I will go back to the 60 series next rear tire or not?

Herb

G

·
I am running a 70 series on rear and love it. To me it does not have a
down side. It will however increase height of bike a little.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have Progressive springs front and rear along with using a Avon 70 series rear tire. I am on my third 70 series Avon rear tire with NO ill effects. I have about a dozen good effects by using the Avon 70 series rear along with the Progressive springs on both ends. You can PM me if you have any questions. You will be one happy camper with this setup.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
My first rear 70 was teh Avon Venom R, then I wnet through a couple of E-3 70's and another couple of Avons in 70 for teh rear. I have experienced nothing but positives from the rear 70s and the Avons grip like magic. My '02 is still very strong in the lower RPM range with thr rear 70, but I have heard others mention that it seems to make the gearing too tall. I am not a high speed demon, but my top end speed did decline initially with the 70 rear by just a couple of MPH. Then I installed the Tulsa swept back shield and my "lost" MPH came back with a small bonus - go figure? My next fitting is with the Metzeler 60 rear because I am curious as to how I will react to going back and I am curious about the Metzeler tires that some claim to even out grip the Avons -- I gotta see that first hand. If I take a notion, it will also let me retest top end speed with the 60 and Tulsa shield.

I have the same spring set-up that you mention and it helped to make sure teh front forks were set the way the service manual directs, top of tubes flush with top bridge -- mine was set down a good bit as delivered. I get no squirrelly feeling at any speed -- the more rounded profile of the Avon tire does cut and turn like figure skates as compared to the flatter bottomed tires. The Avons are noisey -- most all I have ridden are, except the Bridgestones.

prs

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Progressive springs front and rear plus a Progressive shock in the rear with a "70" Avon. This set up does raise the rear of the bike but I don't detect any squirrley feeling. It has worked for about 15,000 with and with out a trailer and I would do it again without question. I too run solo with the rear set at 0. I had to lengthen the sidestand but other than that no problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm on my second 70 series rear tire. (1st was an E3 and now a Stone). This improves the Wing in many respects in cornering, and accurate speedo/odo. My Honda Certified Goldwing mechanic falls into the camp that blieves the wing should have had a 70 series rear on it from the start and likes test riding my Wing after serviceing.

As for the height, I am 5/8 with a 31 inch inseam. I've had no problems with a 70 rear tire.

Chuck
MBD

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dave said:
Don I put the 70 series Bridgestone on the rear on mine and I love it. The bike really lays into the turns nicely and it corrected the speedo also. My only complaint which is really minor is that the rear tire no longer raises off the floor when on the center stand. I'll definitely do it again.
Place a 1X under the center stand. Works like a champ.

I ran the E3 70 series all summer. I love it and will never go back to the 60 series. I have a 29" inseam; no problem.

The initial ride with the 70 series you will notice some difference. But let me say, if you jump on the VTX, you will notice some difference. So, start out slow, get the feel, then ride like you always have.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Avon 70R on rear. Traxxion suspension. All balls tapered steering head bearings. Kuryakin front fork brace.

Speedo is dead on balls accurate & Wing handles like a charm. I'm not going back!!!

Just came from a Patriot Guard ride in Elliottsburg PA. Warming up with some concord wine from a local PA winery.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Just removed a rear avon 70 tire whitch i got 8500 miles out of. The bike was a little twitchy at high speeds to begin with but that stopped. The gearing is a little tall for twisty roads but great for faster hwys. I have a small piece of 1/4" plywood to put under center stand to get rear wheel off ground. My frt bridgestone has 10500 on it and still going strong.

PS Ijust got a 70 bridgestone exedra g850 to try this time.

IF I DONT LIKE IT I AM GOING TO BLAME RED :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always liked the Avons on my 1500 so I couldn't wait to put them on the 1800. I run 42 psi in the front and rear and now have almost 14,000 miles on this set. The 70 did seem to make the bike handle better but any tire over the stock oem dunlops would have done that! I say go for it, you will be happy!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Although I understand they have made some improvements in the Venom, I put a set of Venoms 70 serieson my 04 and was afraid to ride it over 70 mph because it wallowed so badly and headed towared uncontolled wobble at higher speeds.

Then I put a D251 on the rear and had absolutely no sign of a wobble. The E3 was not yet available in the 70 series when I ran the D251 70 Valk tire on the Wing. I soon found that this was going to be a very good tire for mileage. Then they did come out with the E3 70 series and the rear tire has some guts. It is very rigid laterally and handled well, especially running 44 in the rear and 42 in the front.

That set of tires was replaced before they were to the bars, because I had a long trip. However, they had 23,000 miles on them, true miles. The second set that I replaced then, probably has 10,000 or so now, I could look it up. Well, I did and it is 13,000 on the new tires now and were changed at 103,000. They are still like new tires. I expect they will easily run 25,000 miles a set with the rear lasting longer than the front.

Every mile my 04 Wing has run, now 116,000 as of Sunday, has been with a trailer on the back, and 89,000 of those has been with the Tailwind trailer.

I have had two incidents with complete loss of air, one front and one rear. The front was with a broken valve stem that dumped all the air in about 5 seconds at GPS recorded speed of 97.8 mph, which made the ABS light come on. 12 miles later, when I got home, I discovered the tire was flat down on the rim when I went looking for the reason the ABS light came on.

The rear tire incident was a nail and was flat witout my knowing it until I smelled the rubber. That was also at elevated cruising speeds during the time that there were no hotel rooms for several hundred miles due to displaced people from the hurricane. I was trying to get to Texarcana before dark to get a room, from Bryan. Both of these tires, when flat, felt much better than the Venom did with 41 PSI in it.

If you were to grasp a Venom R70, off the rim, and flex the sidewals with your hands, then do the same with an E3 70, you will see immediately why one is more stable than the other. I gave the Venoms away at 6,000 miles. They were good in the rain, and in the corners, but horrible at high speed.

Tires are like ladies. What one man adores is despised by another. This is just my take on the subject. With only 480,000 miles on six cylinder Wings, I may not yet have the feel.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Tom

You are getting there with that 480k on Wings LOL, I am still ahead of you a bit with a tad over a meg.

I am trying the New Improved VenomR right now... So far it has not failed and works pretty good for a m/c tire. The side wall strength has been improved but I did let the air out of the rear tire and ride it a bit, pretty sloppy in my book.

I have never understood how you get so many miles out of m/c tires. The maximum I have ever gotten on this bike on the rear is 13000 miles and that was on a 70 series E3 and that was on a very long leisurely trip... I only get 6-8K on the stones. And I have never put any tire on it including a car tire that felt mushy at triple digits.

Here is what I have found on m/c tires
Bridgestones are very good, will not slip wet or dry very easy
Dunlop 250 series, will slip on wet pavement
Dunlop E3 will also slip on wet pavement
Avon are very good wet and dry Think maybe the new one is OK
Metz... I may have just had a few bad ones, they were funny, ride funny
Dunlop car tire DM901, will not slip on wet or dry... nice soft ride !!

Front tires,
There is only one Bridgestone 709 followed by a Avon .... All the rest will cup on my bike, very bad !! The Avon will cup a bit and shake a bit after 18-20k miles... I have never had a 709 cup or wobble on me. All the other tires have wobbled.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I prefer the 70 series rear. This 1800 had a 70 series E3 on the rear and the speedometer was spot on with my GPS. I replaced the E3's with Avon Venom radials (again, 70 series rear) and was surprised to find that my speedometer reading is now off by approximately 1.5 mph. The handling and traction are both fantastic and, thus far, I'm very pleased with the wear I've gotten on my Wing and on the set on my VTX 1800 that I put on last spring.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Tom, I suspect the total miles is indicative of how far it is to coffee where you are and where I am. :lol:

My Wing miles are all on six cylinder Wings, two 1500 and two 1800s. Started in November of 1990 riding Wings with a 91 Gold SE.

I had 170,000 on my R90S, 103,000 on my R69S, 17,000 on my R100S, and 29,000 on my R100Rt. Also had 87,000 on my 58 Squae Four and 17,000 on my 57 Square Four. Had 26,000 on my 56 Triumph Bird and 17,600 on my 52 Triumph Speed Twin which looked like Lee Marvin's bike that Marlon Brando rode in The Wild One, and Hence my attraction to two wheels. I never did get a blonde to ride with me in the moonlight, though! I also rode a 46 James 5,600 miles which had a Half circle Smith's speedo on it. I was very proud of that James which I built out of a wreck and the Joske's parts department. First Bikes are always the best memories. I had a Helix and a Honda Trail 110 also. Really liked the Helix which my ex son in law wrecked.

All of my tire miles have the Tailwind attached. I will venture to say that you might get improved tire mileage if you had one also. I will try to remember to take a photo of the my E3s when they reach 15,000 miles.

The slipperiest (had to verify that one in the dictionary) tires I have ever had on the 1800 were the first three sets of Bridgestones on the 01. Very dangerous in the rain. The D 250s were a marked improvement and still were slippery also. The Avons were good in the rain but horrible at high speed.

The E3s are the first tires I have had that were as good as the Elite IIs on the 1500s which are the best touring tire I have ever had for weather.

The every worst tires I ever had in the rain were the Dunlop Universals on the Speed Twin.

As a side note, the E3 70 rear tire starts out dead on speed at 67 mph. As it wears, its cross over point moves up. When it is at or near the wear bars, its crossover point is about 75. Also, if it is under inflated, the cross over point moves up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts