GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order tires and have decided to go with the Avon Venom R.

I plan on getting the standard size for the front (Size 130/70R18 63H), but I am strongly considering going with the larger Valkyrie rear tire (180/70R16 77H).

Of course my Honda dealer says that this is a bad idea, along with using Amsoil and everything and anything else that is not “per the book” so I would like to have some feedback from those of you who have gone with the 70R tire in the rear.

Does it effect your riding position since it will raise the rear slightly, etc?

My Wing is already higher because I had Progressive Springs installed (front and back), but it seems that the back went up more than the front. Even loaded with luggage I ride with the pre-load at ZERO.

Any info would be appreciated.

I want like to order them now so I can get the 10% off being offered by HondaDirect.

Thanks – Happy Holidays – and RIDE SAFE!

DonNJ

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I also use the 70 series when riding on a m/c tire on the rear. I actually prefer it over the 60 series because of the speedo correction. It will raise the rear a bit but you will get used to it, I also welded a one inch extension to the kick stand to help with parking.

I prefer the 70 series over the 60 series m/c tire !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
On my second set of 70s - yes, raised the rear a little, more ground clearance, more lean on the side-stand, speedometer right on, a little less roll-on power, a different feel in ride.

But look at the tire specs - higher load rating, less tread plies, larger overall diameter, and, depending on the brand, less tread depth. I liked my 70 series Metzs, like the current Z rated Stone 850s even better. Can't talk about the Avons.

I am with Tom - prefer the 70s over the 60s.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello I have a D251 dunlop 180/70R/16 !! It feels kinda weird about......3 blocks then you dont notice it !!! Enjoy..chuck

·
Registered
195 Posts
I love my avons on the wing. It corrected the speedo , it's easier to put on the centerstand. It leans a touch more on the side stand but I think it is more stable and better this way. You will notice the 5'th gear roll on is slower but I would prefer to downshift for a fast pass and have the lower rpm for cruising at 90. I think the 70 is definately the way to go.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
70 = more controversy
I felt it was making my front shimmery at high speed...like if the rear was too high...Others like it a lot....good luck...let us know how you liked them

·
Registered
1 Posts
70 series tire

I put a Dunlop D251 on to correct my speedo/odo and loved it. That is for a whole 4000 miles. My riding friend wanted to check my tread wear before he replaced his and found my tire showing cords all the way around! When I had it replaced the mechanic said I was riding on less than the thickness of an inner tube! Tried to contact Dunlop but they're on strike. Went back to 60 series until I can get some thoughts about what happened.

John
Mich.

·
Registered
17,142 Posts
Red wagon;

If you must use Dunnies; then the E-3 will give you a more harmonious result regarding the 70 rear fitment. I'm pretty tough on tires and got 12,000 easy out them; they probably wear better than the Avon Venoms that I prefer -- but its a close call on that account, the Avons rule for brute traction (except I have yet to use Metzelers and will be doing that with a 60 next spring).

prs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts