GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heading out to southern Cali.on Aug.9 to visit my son for a few days. I have rented a 2013 Gold wing for 5 days and plan on Riding up the coast. I will be picking up the bike on Aug. 13 from Bikers West Near LAX and heading north. If any one knows of any must ride roads I would greatly appreciate the info. I will be riding solo if anybody would like to meet up. I was there last year around March when I helped move my son out there from Florida and rode a Harley for about 5 hours. I went up Mulholand Hyw. past the Rock store and on the Pacific coast Hyw to Neptune's Net. This time I am thinking of going up to Big Sur. All advice is welcome

Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
277 Posts
Big sir will be a nice ride, I’m just east of LA airport in San Dimas. If I wasn’t booked the weekend of the 10th I’d meet up with your.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Big Sur would be an excellent choice. That said, be sure you have hotel and/or campsite reservations lined up. Anything north of Santa Barbara and south of Carmel, on or near CA-1 (PCH) including these towns is likely to be fairly well booked during the summer (school's out) time frame.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
218 Posts
You are gonna be right in my backyard. The Malibu Hills are Jacked up now due to the fire. Mulholland past the Rockstore has been closed since the fire (The Snake). You can detour around the closed part but Mulholland towards the beach had some rain damage as well. Riding up to Big Sur should be awesome. I have never done it but I am not a long distance rider.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would recommend doing PCH southbound from Monterey to Morro Bay. That way the views are on your right and you can pull off easily. Another bypass up there we enjoy is Nacimiento Ferguson Rd. Slow and twisty for the most part but enjoyable.

Don’t know exactly where you will be in SoCal but one loop I would recommend is get to Hwy 33 in Ventura. Head north to Hwy 166, east to Hudson Ranch Rd., right through Pine Mountain Club, and left through Cuddy Valley and back to LA via I-5 at Frazier Park.

A shorter scenic route is get to Moorpark and head north on Hwy 23 (Grimes Canyon Rd) to Fillmore, then Hwy 126 to Santa Paula, Hwy 150 to Hwy 33 in Ojai, south a couple of miles to Hwy 154. Follow that to Hwy 192 which will take you on a slow scenic ride behind Santa Barbara.

I grew up in Ventura County and still enjoy going back and riding the roads of my youth. There is much, much more to add to your riding pleasure but I don’t want to complicate things for you!

PM me if you’d like more info.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You are gonna be right in my backyard. The Malibu Hills are Jacked up now due to the fire. Mulholland past the Rockstore has been closed since the fire (The Snake). You can detour around the closed part but Mulholland towards the beach had some rain damage as well. Riding up to Big Sur should be awesome. I have never done it but I am not a long distance rider.
Wow! Still closed? I was there the day it started in November. Lots of Malibu evacuees at the hotel I was staying at. ??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many Thanks to all for the helpful Information. I am looking forward to this trip and hope it is a dry time of year.
When I was out there last year in March it rained almost every day. Malibu Canyon and Tapanga Canyon (I am sure I misspelled that one) where closed for a couple of days. Well this time I will bring my rain suit.

Thanks again
Vince

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Many Thanks to all for the helpful Information. I am looking forward to this trip and hope it is a dry time of year.
When I was out there last year in March it rained almost every day. Malibu Canyon and Tapanga Canyon (I am sure I misspelled that one) where closed for a couple of days. Well this time I will bring my rain suit.

Thanks again
Vince
Nah...no rain. :wink2:

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I am heading out to southern Cali.on Aug.9 to visit my son for a few days. I have rented a 2013 Gold wing for 5 days and plan on Riding up the coast. I will be picking up the bike on Aug. 13 from Bikers West Near LAX and heading north. If any one knows of any must ride roads I would greatly appreciate the info. I will be riding solo if anybody would like to meet up. I was there last year around March when I helped move my son out there from Florida and rode a Harley for about 5 hours. I went up Mulholand Hyw. past the Rock store and on the Pacific coast Hyw to Neptune's Net. This time I am thinking of going up to Big Sur. All advice is welcome

Thanks
Vince
Make sure you have enough gas so you don't have to fuel up in Big Sur. CA gas is high enough but the price in Big Sur will shock you. The end of April it was almost $7 a gal for regular. :crying:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure you have enough gas so you don't have to fuel up in Big Sur. CA gas is high enough but the price in Big Sur will shock you. The end of April it was almost $7 a gal for regular. :crying:
WOW thanks for that info. Gas here in Florida is around $2.45 a gal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wouldn't worry about rain. Between Ventura and Monterey there are many awesome roads and views. Is your son gonna be riding with you?

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you are around Thousand oaks Thursday afternoon Aug 15 thru the following week, we could meet up for a ride. Pm me if you are interested, no pressure. I will ride, surf or whatever. It has been fairly hot lately so more surf than ride for this guy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts