GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are going to Canada tomorrow. I just heard from a friend that we need a special insurance card to enter the country. Does any body know if this is the deal? :shrug:
Andy S.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I called my agent before my trip in Canada.. was told they have a special insurance card, but it was only needed for commercial vehicles. I'm with American Family. They said I'd be fine using my US card.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I just returned from a trip through BC and Alberta. Your insurance company should be able to provide you a card. When I called my company(Geico) to verify my coverage in Canada, I was told I should have the card. The agent told me that if you did not have the document, they MAY prohibit you from entering their country. I had the insurance card with me, but was never asked to produce it. YMMV>

·
Registered
616 Posts
Progressive sent me a card when I went. I bet they can fax you one or email it.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
My buddy and I are going to Canada tomorrow. I just heard from a friend that we need a special insurance card to enter the country. Does any body know if this is the deal? :shrug:
Andy S.

Have a safe trip :thumbup:

Not sure what card :?:

You do know you never want treatment there .

They all come here :roll:

Be very careful dont eat any cheese or snails

This public safety brought to you by your brothers in the Hot Box :biker:

Be safe :flg:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progressive sent me a card when I went. I bet they can fax you one or email it.
Were you asked to produce it?

TIA

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Your coverage needs to be vaild in Canada,

A call to your company can get you an email, or faxed proof in a few minutes

·
Registered
318 Posts
So long as your insurance policy covers you while riding in Canada, you don't need a special card and you will only be asked for it, if you're stopped by a LEO. Border agents don't ask to see your insurance documents. My Canadian bike insurance covers me in the US and Canada but not in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
So long as your insurance policy covers you while riding in Canada, you don't need a special card and you will only be asked for it, if you're stopped by a LEO. Border agents don't ask to see your insurance documents. My Canadian bike insurance covers me in the US and Canada but not in Mexico.
Yep, Been to Canada hundreds of times and and was asked nary a once for an auto insurance card at the border.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
No such thing as a special card for Canada. Proof of valid insurance is all that is required Your US carrier will give you one if you don't already have one its valid in the states and Canada
Only lews will ask and only then if you are not behaving and stopped for something else.
I have never seen or heard of a checkstop just for insurance in 45 years of driving
Now having said that... You must have insurance Big fines if you don't have it if you are caught (EG at an accident)

Dunno if you guys have insurance that is valid when you go into Mexico We have to buy Mexican insurance at the US/Mex border
Just interested in knowing

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Canada DOES use a specific proof of insurance card. I asked the same question here back in July prior to a ride around Lake Superior and from Detroit to Niagara Falls.

I contacted Progressive, my motorcycle insurance provider, and was advised yes there is a special form. Progressive had someone use an old fashioned typewriter to complete the form because it is not in their computer system and mailed it to me prior to my trip.

As stated above, border inspection agents did not ask for it and I never needed it. An ordinary US proof of liability insurance card might suffice if pulled over and checked by a leo, I didn't have that experience.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Canada DOES use a specific proof of insurance card. I asked the same question here back in July prior to a ride around Lake Superior and from Detroit to Niagara Falls.

I contacted Progressive, my motorcycle insurance provider, and was advised yes there is a special form. Progressive had someone use an old fashioned typewriter to complete the form because it is not in their computer system and mailed it to me prior to my trip.

As stated above, border inspection agents did not ask for it and I never needed it. An ordinary US proof of liability insurance card might suffice if pulled over and checked by a leo, I didn't have that experience.
Check out this site, it should answer your question.
http://insuranceincanada.com/auto-insurance/canadian-insurance-card

Have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.
Joe W.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts