GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
The wife and I are leaving Sunday for the same area. If you see a Titanium bike and Tailwind trailer that would be us.
Enjoy
Ken

J

·
0 Posts
I have just spent three weeks in Rapid City, SD and am getting ready to head over to Cody, WY for a week and then, if the weather co-operates, to Yellowstone West for a week. The locals are telling me that the weather can change dramatically the latter part of September. For some ideas on where to ride and what to see here in western SD, visit my blog at http://ncmotorcyclists.blogspot.com/

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip.

Jim
www.NCMotorcyclists.com

·
Registered
949 Posts
dgamage - I have a suggestion regarding your planned route. If you have an extra couple hours, when you come out of Yellowstone and hit the split to Cody, go left first over Beartooth Pass into Red Lodge (or at least to the bottom of the mountain) and then backtrack. There's a couple short construction areas but I went through there last week without a problem.

Edit: The above assumes you're taking the northern route west and coming back on the southern route.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you use the weather radio on the Wing as you go, you're not likely to have any problem you can't easily handle. Snow in September, even in the Rockies, is rarely a surprise event.

Beartooth Pass, which I believe is already on your route, would be the first place to get snow. Yellowstone might be next. A worthwhile alternative to Beartooth is Chief Joseph Highway, Wyoming 296, just south of the pass. Great riding, great and varied scenery. On my top ten list of roads. Beartooth is too. The suggestion above about backtracking over Beartooth, would get you both. I've done that, and it's worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If you use the weather radio on the Wing as you go, you're not likely to have any problem you can't easily handle. Snow in September, even in the Rockies, is rarely a surprise event.

Beartooth Pass, which I believe is already on your route, would be the first place to get snow. Yellowstone might be next. A worthwhile alternative to Beartooth is Chief Joseph Highway, Wyoming 296, just south of the pass. Great riding, great and varied scenery. On my top ten list of roads. Beartooth is too. The suggestion above about backtracking over Beartooth, would get you both. I've done that, and it's worthwhile.
:agree: Ride both Beartooth and St. Joseph if you have time.
Glacier is ........AWSOME.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Snow has been reported in Glacier.

Wife and I just returned from a ride to the West Coast, road through parts of Mt Rainier, at night, and had cold weather riding gear on, but did not have to turn the Gerbings on.

I'm sure you'll be riding through these areas only during the day, but I'd be prepared for some cool weather. I'd expect Glacier to be no different.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. All good. Have any of you been to LOLO Pass? It looks like I'll have to dead head to the Pass then back and then south? I think you can see it on my map in my first post. Is that correct and is it worth the time? I am going west on the north route and back east on the southern route.
Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have just spent three weeks in Rapid City, SD and am getting ready to head over to Cody, WY for a week and then, if the weather co-operates, to Yellowstone West for a week. The locals are telling me that the weather can change dramatically the latter part of September. For some ideas on where to ride and what to see here in western SD, visit my blog at http://ncmotorcyclists.blogspot.com/

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip.

Jim
www.NCMotorcyclists.com
We are leaving for Cody on Tuesday and will be riding out each day from there. We plan all of the routes everyone has been talking about.

The forecasted weather is looking very good for the 7th thru the 14th for us so we're hoping we will just hit some isolated Tstorms while we're there.

If you see a red trike :biker:roaming around - give us a wave.:a13:

·
Registered
949 Posts
I won't ride in T-storms but it got pretty uncomfortable for me last week as I was nearing the east end of Chief Joseph Highway heading into Cody. Had lightning north and south of me. You can run but can can't hide there.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. All good. Have any of you been to LOLO Pass? It looks like I'll have to dead head to the Pass then back and then south? I think you can see it on my map in my first post. Is that correct and is it worth the time? I am going west on the north route and back east on the southern route.
Thanks
Lolo Pass is definitely worth it if you have the time. Allow the better part of a day to get down and back. The eastern section from the town of Lolo to the crest of Lolo Pass is pretty, but the best part is from the Pass west.

If you are headed south on US-93 after Lolo, stop at the Frontier Cafe 3998 US Highway 93 N, Stevensville, MT. (406) 777-4228. 17 miles south of Lolo, MT. They serve an awesome breakfast at a very reasonable price.

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Snow has been reported in Glacier.

Wife and I just returned from a ride to the West Coast, road through parts of Mt Rainier, at night, and had cold weather riding gear on, but did not have to turn the Gerbings on.

I'm sure you'll be riding through these areas only during the day, but I'd be prepared for some cool weather. I'd expect Glacier to be no different.

What already !!!! we are planning on going thru there on the 19 or so. Gonna have to watch the weather for sure!!!

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Lolo Pass is definitely worth it if you have the time. Allow the better part of a day to get down and back. The eastern section from the town of Lolo to the crest of Lolo Pass is pretty, but the best part is from the Pass west.

If you are headed south on US-93 after Lolo, stop at the Frontier Cafe 3998 US Highway 93 N, Stevensville, MT. (406) 777-4228. 17 miles south of Lolo, MT. They serve an awesome breakfast at a very reasonable price.
:agree::agree: West is best!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts