GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Going to Michigan for my sons birthday.
Will be leaving Boise, Idaho on July 2 nd traveling up to Hy 2 and accross Montana, N. Dakota, minnesota, wisconsin to Mackinaw city down to Farmington Hills, Mich.
Not shure witch way i'll be coming back. any ideas
taking this route is there any place to stop and see.
we will also be going to Niagara Falls.
have set aside about a month for to and from Boise
I have a 2010 goldwing W/Roadsmith kit. have 6000 miles and love it
first long trip
thanks
jim:biker:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Jim - I wrote a long reply but accidentally wiped it out before submitting it. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Don't have time to redo it. I rode Hwy 2 between MT and MI on the Wing. PM me with your phone # and I'll call you during the week if you're interested.
Mike

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Us2

Jim,
I'm not sure what you've done or seen before, but for this flatlander, if you've not done the Tetons, Yellowstone, or Glacier NP, then now would be the time. Once you go east from GNP on 2 there really aren't any highlites for some distance. I'm not knocking the ride across (it's my preferred way from here to there), but it's just a good travel road. Speed limits are high enough and the surface quality is good enough that you can make nearly interstate time, but it's best characteristic imho is that it gives some perspective to how big this country is. As you get nearer to Duluth you could divert to Canada and do the north side of Lake Superior. It's a different look and feel (I like it) and a decent chance to see a moose. I am prejudiced, but the northwest part of the lower penninsula of Michigan is the better riding and scenery, but it pales in comparison to what can be found near where you live. Return routing would depend on how big a circle that you want to make. Without it being a very large circle your return highlites will be limited to SD badlands area.
Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Mike and Richard for the replys
Mike i sent you my number. talk to you later and thanks
Richard thanks for the info
jim :biker:

·
Registered
546 Posts
take U.S. 20 back

If you come to S.W. Michigan get on I 94 to I 39 to Rockford Illnois is hilly and beautiful. U.S. 20 across Iowa is all 4 lane ( I first rode 20 in 1981 Iowa was mostly 2 lane). Nebraska is all 2 lane very little traffic farther west, a lot of small towns let you camp free and even have showers. Wyoming Casper to Cody sort of dull but lines you up with Chief Joseph Scenic Hiway. Beartooth pass and Yellowstone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I live in north central ND. Major flooding here. Many roads closed, including hwy 2 east of Minot. www.nd.gov has road closures. some detours are in place, but many may not be motorcycle friendly.

Your best route across ND would be I 94.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts