GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to know the best hitch and wiring harness to get to pull it.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Bushtec for both.What is the cubic capacity of those car trailers?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Joey,

What body style are you going to get? Getting flames or other trick paint? They're really cool trailers. I lived in GA when I bought mine. I went up to Donnie's to see them before I ordered mine - then went back in 4 weeks and picked it up.

Concerning cargo capacity, Donnie says they're around 25 cuft. My Elite was supposedly 25 cuft also. Comparing the two, the car replica is bigger by about 3-5 cuft.

I have a Dauntless hitch. It's a vertical receiver and can't be seen if the ball mount isn't in. Pretty strong hitch, too. It is a six point mount and does mount to the subframe - that's the cage that holds the saddlebags and trunk, to name a few pieces, on the bike.

There's a lot of talk about hitches that mount to the subframe - which almost all hitches do. You never hear of subframe problems because of these hitches. So, IMO, it's a non-issue.

Concerning wiring, I have an EC isolation harness and sub-harness - these are plug and play. http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm Next I soldered in a U-Haul 5 to 4 wire converter, partno 13486. With this setup, all the lights worked correctly the first time.

Have fun with your new trailer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanderer----- I'm going to get the Corvette. He is Three months behind in his paint shop so as soon as I get the bike hitch and wiring done. I will go pick it up and let my Brother inlaw paint it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
car replica

Joey, Donnie does not make the car replica trailers, however, he does paint/carpet them, etc. They are actually made by a gentleman in Rossville, GA. The last time I checked you could purchase one unpainted and without carpet for around $1,700.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Do you guys that have one already think that a tongue swivel will work with the replicar trailer?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Waiting on my 40 Ford Coupe!! Waited 8 weeks as of august 15th. Went to pick up on August 17th. He rolled it out of his garage and it was absolutely GEORGOUS, but it was CANDY orange instead of PEARL orange darn it!!!!!!! I communcated with Donnie yesterday via email. He has hired a second painter. Hopefully this will help. Donnie is just a great guy to deal with and his trailers are FIRST class!!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have pulled my trailer over 50K. I have run the Tail of the Dragon, Hellbender and many dozens of other twisty roads. My floor boards are rubbed well and I have never felt a bind. I figure if the bike can scrap without feeling the fully loaded trailer I don't see a need for the tongue to swivel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts