GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_05ccc772-addc-11e0-afb4-001cc4c002e0.html

WEST GLACIER — Glacier National Park officials say the entire length of the Going-to-the-Sun Road is open to vehicle traffic for the summer.

Park Superintendent Chas Cartwright said getting the road open "was extremely tough this year." A heavy snowpack and an unseasonably cool spring hampered plow crews as they tried to clear the upper section of the 50-mile road.

"The Big Drift" snow bank on Logan Pass still towered about 30 feet above the road earlier this month, and Wednesday morning's opening marks the latest the historic road has ever opened due to weather.

Park officials say the Logan Pass Visitor Center also opened Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Leaving 6:00am tomorrow headed that way. Can't wait to get to cooler altitudes. Then on the the Red Woods, Lake Tahoe, Colorado and home again.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_05ccc772-addc-11e0-afb4-001cc4c002e0.html

WEST GLACIER — Glacier National Park officials say the entire length of the Going-to-the-Sun Road is open to vehicle traffic for the summer.

Park Superintendent Chas Cartwright said getting the road open "was extremely tough this year." A heavy snowpack and an unseasonably cool spring hampered plow crews as they tried to clear the upper section of the 50-mile road.

"The Big Drift" snow bank on Logan Pass still towered about 30 feet above the road earlier this month, and Wednesday morning's opening marks the latest the historic road has ever opened due to weather.

Park officials say the Logan Pass Visitor Center also opened Wednesday.
Thanks for the report - seems like it has been impossible to do in June and now late July it finally opens... the very last time I was there it was early July 2007 - it was still closed that time too.

I guess it will have to be an August thru October thing for me to get there again. Love that place!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Great News. We are leaving on Aug 29th with Glacier being the first major objective of our trip. Have not ridden going to the sun road since 1981. Can't wait to see it again.

From there thru Washington and Oregon to the PCH and down to the Frisco area, heading East from there and hitting sites along the route back to Michigan.

Fred

·
Registered
224 Posts
Global Warming

Thanks god for man made global warming or otherwise the snow would be there all year long!! :joke:

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I will be there on the 12th of August, planning on riding it both ways then head to Lolo Pass and Hiway 12 to Idaho.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We plan on being up there on the 12th also, If I see a bright yellow GW I"ll give ya a wave.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Headed that direction on the 29th of July by way of Mnt Rushmore. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife and I were their on the 26th of June and were very disappointed, I guess we'll have to try again. Beartooth Pass was great.

John Kreuzer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts