GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gold Strike Highway Peg install & review

I got the Gold Strike (Ciro) Highway Pegs this weekend and installed them.

I give them 3 out of 5 stars.

Fit&Finish: 4
Appearance: 3
Ergonomics: 5
Lean Angle: 2
Install: 2
Value: 3

I got black, because I have a black bike. And since black is the fastest color, I didn’t want to slow down my bike by getting chrome.

Fit&finish;
They seem to be well made and have good fit & finish, although the right side angles up slightly more than the left side when in the down position - in the hinge thingy right at the foot peg, it’s not one of the adjustable parts - it’s kind of like the machining on the hinge was slightly off on the right side. It has been noted in this forum that they do “Flex” a little and GoldStrike says that is by design - I think they are just saying that to put people at ease. They flex because of basic leverage and physics are what they are. The weight of our foot is really far from the pivot point of the lever which means they will Flex...

Appearance:
They look nice, but do kind of look like they don’t belong.

Ergonomics:
I couldn’t use the Beachcomber version or some other foot pegs - because my legs are too short. These are really adjustable. Almost too much so as my OCD self found it nerve-wracking with all the variability.

Lean Angle:
You do lose a very slight bit of lean angle. I played with it quite a bit and: at best a tiny bit of the upper hinge will touch the ground just as the rider foot peg nub scrapes. So we’ll see how that goes.

Install:
I feel I am being generous here by giving them two stars, I really think they deserve one. It’s not a technically challenging install. The problem is with all of the *easy* things for them to do right - they did wrong. The hardware itself is easy to install and that’s not the problem - the problem is the instructions are bad, and in one case - wrong. The install kit is also a big problem. Here are my gripes:

1. The kit has a dozen bolts which are all almost identical. They should be separated by use and in their own separate marked pouches (something like “bolts A” and “bolts B” would be nice). But nope. They are all just in the same pouch, leaving me to figure out what each one is.

2. Out of the dozen bolts, all are metric except for two. Why the **** would you randomly use two standard bolts in a whole kit of metric stuff?

3. To make points one and two worse, one of the instructions actually calls for the wrong bolt.

4. I watched their YouTube video several times before buying, and again twice before I started the install and then used it during the install. It glosses over the most tedious and annoying part of the install.

5. The instructions for the hinge part of the assembly had one line item and one picture - but was probably the hardest part of the install. The left and right pieces are marked OK - but the angles which they are bent mean that there is a right way and a wrong way to assemble it and it’s not clear and it’s quite tricky to figure out. Not only could the instructions be better here - but this particular part should really be pre-assembled. There is no reason to have it shipped in separate pieces.

6. There are no torque figures, or instructions about how much to tighten - which always makes me a little nervous.

8. The left side of the engine is farther back than the right side, which means if you set the adjustments for the foot pegs the same left and right then the left side will be about an inch closer to you than the right. Not only did they not account for this in the hardware design, they don’t mention it in the instructions. At the very least they should make a note of it so you don’t have to go through so much trial and error.

Value:
These are expensive. They are nice - but pricey for what you get IMO. I think for the price they ask for these the install kit and instructions should be much better - to reflect the premium nature of the product. They could easily add value by cleaning up their instructions and their kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,542 Posts
I got the Gold Strike (Ciro) Highway Pegs this weekend and installed them.

I give them 3 out of 5 stars.

Fit&Finish: 4
Appearance: 3
Ergonomics: 5
Lean Angle: 2
Install: 2
Value: 3

I got black, because I have a black bike. And since black is the fastest color, I didn’t want to slow down my bike by getting chrome.

Fit&finish;
They seem to be well made and have good fit & finish, although the right side angles up slightly more than the left side when in the down position - in the hinge thingy right at the foot peg, it’s not one of the adjustable parts - it’s kind of like the machining on the hinge was slightly off on the right side. It has been noted in this forum that they do “Flex” a little and GoldStrike says that is by design - I think they are just saying that to put people at ease. They flex because of basic leverage and physics are what they are. The weight of our foot is really far from the pivot point of the lever which means they will Flex...

Appearance:
They look nice, but do kind of look like they don’t belong.

Ergonomics:
I couldn’t use the Beachcomber version or some other foot pegs - because my legs are too short. These are really adjustable. Almost too much so as my OCD self found it nerve-wracking with all the variability.

Lean Angle:
You do lose a very slight bit of lean angle. I played with it quite a bit and: at best a tiny bit of the upper hinge will touch the ground just as the rider foot peg nub scrapes. So we’ll see how that goes.

Install:
I feel I am being generous here by giving them two stars, I really think they deserve one. It’s not a technically challenging install. The problem is with all of the *easy* things for them to do right - they did wrong. The hardware itself is easy to install and that’s not the problem - the problem is the instructions are bad, and in one case - wrong. The install kit is also a big problem. Here are my gripes:

1. The kit has a dozen bolts which are all almost identical. They should be separated by use and in their own separate marked pouches (something like “bolts A” and “bolts B” would be nice). But nope. They are all just in the same pouch, leaving me to figure out what each one is.

2. Out of the dozen bolts, all are metric except for two. Why the **** would you randomly use two standard bolts in a whole kit of metric stuff?

3. To make points one and two worse, one of the instructions actually calls for the wrong bolt.

4. I watched their YouTube video several times before buying, and again twice before I started the install and then used it during the install. It glosses over the most tedious and aborting part of the install.

5. The instructions for the hinge part of the assembly had one line item and one picture - but was probably the hardest part of the install. The left and right pieces are marked OK - but the angles which they are bent mean that there is a right way and a wrong way to assemble it and it’s not clear and it’s quite tricky to figure out. Not only could the instructions be better here - but this particular part should really be pre-assembled. There is no reason to have it shipped in separate pieces.

6. There are no torque figures, or instructions about how much to tighten - which always makes me a little nervous.

8. The left side of the engine is farther back than the right side, which means if you set the adjustments for the foot pegs the same left and right then the left side will be about an inch closer to you than the right. Not only did they not account for this in the hardware design, they don’t mention it in the instructions. At the very least they should make a note of it so you don’t have to go through so much trial and error.

Value:
These are expensive. They are nice - but pricey for what you get IMO. I think for the price they ask for these the install kit and instructions should be much better - to reflect the premium nature of the product. They could easily add value by cleaning up their instructions and their kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you for the review. I've been thinking about these highway pegs for my bike....do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rivco did the same thing with two standards bolts and rest metric. Lazy, stupid and rather disrespectful of their customers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the review...

·
Registered
930 Posts
I bought the chrome ones. Was very disappointing to see the quality of the chrome finish. I had to get another set and they were just as bad.
If they don't come out with better chrome, I won't be buying their products anymore.

I also noticed that the right foot peg bracket is only 1/16" - 1/8" inch from the valve cover where the left side is almost 1/2".
I don't know why it is like that because the right valve cover extends farther away from the frame than the left and they should have accounted for that.

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I also noticed that the right foot peg bracket is only 1/16" - 1/8" inch from the valve cover where the left side is almost 1/2".
I don't know why it is like that because the right valve cover extends farther away from the frame than the left and they should have accounted for that.
It sounds like they elected to have the pegs centered properly for the rider and not worry about the gaps with the cylinders that are not centered. Seems like a reasonable thing to do to me.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was also going to go with these pegs. Guess I'll keep looking since these don't sound like they're something I want. Thank You for the review. :serious: :frown2: :surprise:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Goldstrike has sold a lot of these pegs and there are a lot of members here that are running them. I cannot recall of anyone having an issue with them touching down and causing a problem but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks for the info. I took a really good look at mine and the adjustment. Looks like Tuck had paid attention to his angle during installation also. I had the Rivcos and would still make the change based on my riding for the comfort the Goldstrikes provide. The difference is very very minimal in adjustment compared to the black cover for the engine guard. If I cut the Dragon up I may have kept the Rivcos and made some changes but I ride with my wife 95% of the time and it does not allow the spirited riding required to scrape. I have seen photos of one Goldstrike install where the black covers were already scraped.

I wonder how many 2018+ riders have scraped the engine guard covers? If you have then maybe the Goldstrikes are not for you.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've not scraped my pegs since that one time. I guess it's a philosophy thing in a way... I ride a Goldwing for the touring capabilities and comfort. I don't ride it knee-dragging WFO banging the apex like a sport bike. But, if you do, then expect to drag some chrome (unless you have the black out setup). Here again, that's just me. YMMV.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I thought they were stainless steel except for the bottom of the foot pc??

The ones that are chrome are supposed to be shiny polished chrome.
When I got mine, the chrome had scratches in both of the arms.
I complained about it and they sent me new ones, which were not any better.
The chrome had been polished so much, it was almost worn off and there were lines in them where the buffing wheel had marked them.
I had to decide which ones to keep, the scratched chrome ones, or the dull ones with no scratches.
I used the dull ones, figuring that the scratches may start rusting down the road.

I could not believe this is the kind of quality they put out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Goldstrike 60305

The ones that are chrome are supposed to be shiny polished chrome.
When I got mine, the chrome had scratches in both of the arms.
I complained about it and they sent me new ones, which were not any better.
The chrome had been polished so much, it was almost worn off and there were lines in them where the buffing wheel had marked them.
I had to decide which ones to keep, the scratched chrome ones, or the dull ones with no scratches.
I used the dull ones, figuring that the scratches may start rusting down the road.

I could not believe this is the kind of quality they put out.
The components that make up the Goldstrike 3-Way Adjustable Highway Peg Mounts are not chrome plated. They are polished SS. The Twin Rail footrests are chrome plate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts