GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Kuryakyn ISO grips and I am on the fence as to whether to purchase again. I think they look nice, but they take longer to heat than stock grips and I don't need isolation from handlebar vibrations. Wondering if anyone has purchased the Gold Strike grips. I like the looks, they look smaller diameter than the ISO grips and perhaps will heat faster. If you have purchased the Gold Strike grips do you like them, would you purchase again? Thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some rave about the Grip Puppies and but I think they are gross - dirty hands on hot days. My guess a breeding ground for bacteria. They are also fat and slow to heat.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Some rave about the Grip Puppies and but I think they are gross - dirty hands on hot days. My guess a breeding ground for bacteria. They are also fat and slow to heat.
Completely disagree....
I use the Grab On grips (very similar to grip puppies) and absolutely love them. Been using them for the last 6+ years.

Dirty hands? Who doesn't wear riding gloves for protection on every ride? The grips can be washed along with the bike or wiped off just like the stock grips
Breeding ground for bacteria? Not anymore than any other grip......"ozone-, UV-, gas- and oil-resistant". Slather them with hand sanitizer if you need to ease your mind. ;)
Fat? The stock grips are way to skinny and the 1/4" of foam from the Grip puppies or Grab On grips make them the perfect diameter IMHO.
Heat? Works perfectly fine for me, never had the grip heater setting more than 1/2 as they just get to hot.

At $14 a pair you could replace them every year for many years and still not cost as much as the expensive Kuryakyn or Gold Strike covers.
I usually replace them every couple of years.....takes about 5-minutes.

FYI...
The Kuryakyn or Goldstrike solutions are a way fatter grip than the Grip puppies are.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I'm with Brian on this one. Been using the puppies for years, when they look a little worn easy to replace and less than $20 bucks. Yes it takes a little longer for the heat to go thru them, but it does get thru. I can't imagine using anything else.

To all new riders- gloves are essential riding gear, just as your helmet. Please wear them! Anyone not wearing gloves I guess has never went down.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had the Kuryakyn ISO grips and I am on the fence as to whether to purchase again. I think they look nice, but they take longer to heat than stock grips and I don't need isolation from handlebar vibrations. Wondering if anyone has purchased the Gold Strike grips. I like the looks, they look smaller diameter than the ISO grips and perhaps will heat faster. If you have purchased the Gold Strike grips do you like them, would you purchase again? Thanks
Bay, I have had the Kuryakyn ISO grips on both of my Wings, and I really come to like the fatter grips. Especially on long rides, I feel my hands are more relaxed instead of clenched up.... this could just be in my mind, but I prefer the thicker grips. that was actually my very first mod... Yes, I have noticed the heat takes a little longer to come through, but here in Alabama, the temps are quite mild most of the year, and the heated grips and seat are more of a convenience than a necessity.

PS Nice color choice for your ride! :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man Viper, that is a beautiful bike you have there. I was hoping someone had something to say about the Gold Strike grips. They look slimmer than the ISO but wondered what the look like after months of riding as the surface of the rubber matches up with the metal parts. Although I have minimal chrome parts (luggage rack) I am inclined to get the black grips but don't want to buy something that looks bad after a couple years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m right there with ya on the black accessories — I do like the look of my black ISO grips as well as the other subtle black accents I’m adding .... good luck and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I installed the Grip Puppies (foam) also. So far I really like the feel of them and the diameter. The grip heaters do work with them but it does take a little longer for the heat to start coming through the grips. A very cost effective solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the grip puppies and didn't like them. Took them off and replaced with the Goldstrike grips. Very comfortable, but like any add-on grip takes longer to heat up. I used a step bit and drilled out the ends so I could mount the end weights. No issues and love the look.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
@Bayrec Like Viper31 I have the Kurry ISO grips that I removed from my 2012 GL1832 and installed on my 2018 DCT Tour. Yes, they take a bit to warm up, I do make use of heated gear when needed and that includes the gloves as well. I had issues with cramps holding the small diameter OEM grips and found Joy with the Kurry ISO all-black scheme. Hopefully, you find what brings you comfort/joy in the handgrip department.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I was considering bicycle handlebar tape, so I could control the materials and the grip thickness. Seemed to make good sense to me. The old race track trick was to secure your grips with safety wire. Should do just as well on the bar tape.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I put the Kury Iso grips on mine after getting carpal tunnel syndrome during the ride. Once I widened the diameter of the grips, it went away...don't want surgery...of any kind! They are very comfortable.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I use GRIP PUPPIES. They work for me usually. I say usually because if they get soaked with water---off they come. Rider beware

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I highly recommend these. Bulldog and Meesha at Shinhopples are great people and have been very supportive of our community over the years.

The grip covers last for YEARS. Heat comes thru well, I usually buy 3-4 sets at a time and give to friends when they come over for maintenance. These are better than grippuppies.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I installed this bar tape I pulled from a parts bin handlebar I wrapped a few years ago. It's practically brand new and it is higher end tape. This is Lizard Skinz, in their thicker padded tape. It is wrapped tight and secured with 3M electrical tape for now. If I happen to think about a better solution than tape, I will tinker with the aesthetic appeal. For now, this was perfect on day 1 of our first overnighter. Perfectly fit to my hand, comfortable and no foam squish. The tape is high friction, so my leather gloves hold it tight with minimal falangical effort, but they are not sticky or tacky. This is my new go-to mod for grip upgrades.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Had the grip PUPPIES on my Africa Twin. Hated them when they got wet. Put the grip BUDDIES on the Wing and they've worked the treat. Because they are rubber instead of foam, they heat up just fine, and don't get soaking wet in the rain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Completely disagree....
I use the Grab On grips (very similar to grip puppies) and absolutely love them. Been using them for the last 6+ years.

Dirty hands? Who doesn't wear riding gloves for protection on every ride? The grips can be washed along with the bike or wiped off just like the stock grips
Breeding ground for bacteria? Not anymore than any other grip......"ozone-, UV-, gas- and oil-resistant". Slather them with hand sanitizer if you need to ease your mind. ;)
Fat? The stock grips are way to skinny and the 1/4" of foam from the Grip puppies or Grab On grips make them the perfect diameter IMHO.
Heat? Works perfectly fine for me, never had the grip heater setting more than 1/2 as they just get to hot.

At $14 a pair you could replace them every year for many years and still not cost as much as the expensive Kuryakyn or Gold Strike covers.
I usually replace them every couple of years.....takes about 5-minutes.

FYI...
The Kuryakyn or Goldstrike solutions are a way fatter grip than the Grip puppies are.

Can you literately slip them on or do you need to use soap or some sort of lubricant?

Chuck

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Can you literately slip them on or do you need to use soap or some sort of lubricant?

Chuck
I spray the inside of the grip with a water solution that has a few drops of Johnson baby shampoo in it (same slip solution used to install paint protection film).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts