GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had the grip puppies and didn't like them. Took them off and replaced with the Goldstrike grips. Very comfortable, but like any add-on grip takes longer to heat up. I used a step bit and drilled out the ends so I could mount the end weights. No issues and love the look.
I appreciate your response - did you not like the Goldstrike grips and you needed the end weights? I assume the weights are to lessen vibrations transferred to handlebars.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I installed this bar tape I pulled from a parts bin handlebar I wrapped a few years ago. It's practically brand new and it is higher end tape. This is Lizard Skinz, in their thicker padded tape. It is wrapped tight and secured with 3M electrical tape for now. If I happen to think about a better solution than tape, I will tinker with the aesthetic appeal. For now, this was perfect on day 1 of our first overnighter. Perfectly fit to my hand, comfortable and no foam squish. The tape is high friction, so my leather gloves hold it tight with minimal falangical effort, but they are not sticky or tacky. This is my new go-to mod for grip upgrades.
Have you heated up grips or used on extremely hot day? (wondering if the tape will stretch). If you start on the inside edge of grip as you wrap it, won't the tape secure itself, and then the end of bar weight clamps the end of the tape (eliminating need for electrical tape)?

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
I imagine they are like a sponge when wet.
Thank Goodness I don't ever have to ride in the rain
No they aren’t like a sponge. They won’t absorb water.

Ive got at least 1/2 million miles on my bikes with some type of foam grip or cover. Never a problem in rain. Different experiences!

·
Banned
78 Posts
No they aren’t like a sponge. They won’t absorb water.

Ive got at least 1/2 million miles on my bikes with some type of foam grip or cover. Never a problem in rain. Different experiences!
I guess the African Twin Rider gets heavier water than you do..😉
My unit is only used to run to the store and 20 mile touring trips.. It will never see a drop of rain.. so my puppies will stay nice and warm.. and dry! 👈

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Have you heated up grips or used on extremely hot day? (wondering if the tape will stretch). If you start on the inside edge of grip as you wrap it, won't the tape secure itself, and then the end of bar weight clamps the end of the tape (eliminating need for electrical tape)?
I have had the grip heaters on full tilt most of today and yesterday and they heat well. Just put 500 miles on and I don't believe they will stretch or slip. I have used this tape for many miles on my road bikes. It is quality stuff and made to withstand the elements. I can't really use the bar weights to secure the tape, because the right grip twists and the weight does not. Obviously time will tell, but I can say my initial impression is positive. They are very comfortable and I had no issues with grip, dexterity or operation.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I never paid attention to the weight not staying with the grip. So much useful information here. Enjoy the ride - been raining and cold here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts