GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See HAL has the kit for front shocks, thought this needed some tooling to install? Or is it simple enough to do home?

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you know how to take the forks off and basically rebuild them then yes it can be done at home. I put the Race Tech Gold Valve and spring in mine not long ago with the help of another board member and it was one long days worth of effort but the results worthwhile. I did the all balls steering stem bearing while it was apart. That ate up some time also. You may want to locate and buy Fred Harmons video. That gives you all you need to know and the tools required.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

You can drill the holes with just a hand-held electric drill, but if you have access to a small drill press and a v-block clamp it will make the job much easier.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The installation is not too bad but it takes time. Tuning them to your preference will take longer. Race Tech's settings are only Ball Park. Small changes in pre load (sag) , number of shims in the stack, turns on the emulator screw and fork oil weight will make significant changes to how the bike works. Patience will pay off though.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts