GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few of you mention 3D printing in different posts. I got one for Father's Day and the wife and I have been getting into this hobby, printing mostly useless junk but have designed a few, (very few), things for our own purposes.

Wondering what things, if any, you all have come up with to print for their Wings?

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
21,307 Posts
I bought a pair of 3d custom built rear headlight covers for my Yamaha Tenere so that I could install LED bulbs, the covers actually work just like the stock Yamaha covers but have the extra room inside for the LED bulbs.
The custom 3d printer folks have been making lots of pretty amazing stuff.

·
IronMan
18,480 Posts
IS IT BIG ENOUGH TO MAKE A SIDECOVER ?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Most of the home printers have something along the lines of an 8"x8" bed on them that limits how big you can print stuff. You can get bigger printer beds and reprogram the printer to utilize the bigger bed and get up to something like a 20" x 20" bed on it and print stuff up to that size. It just takes a while to print stuff and anything that size will take several hours to print. I've printed stuff on my small bed that took up to 12 hrs to print, but the end product turned out pretty nice. It's mind-blowing what some of these guys are coming up with.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The range of consumer 3D projects is still pretty much on the useless side of things - key chains, geometric vases, rubber duckies, etc.

Reactions: weengers

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Side covers for 78-750 Honda would be nice.

EDIT: I hadn't looked for years but now there a places that have new ones.

Reactions: weengers

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: SanDiegoDan

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's what I'm talkin about!
What material did you use and has it held up?
What CAD program did you design it in?
I printed it with PLA. It has been in service for 4 years. After a few tries I got it to the point where it snaps in place. Not even glued in.
I used open SCAD. It is open source and a free download. This works for me because I am a cheapskate!

If you need one:

difference(){
translate([0,0,0]){cube([6,12,22]);}
translate([1.5,-.1,-.1]){cube([3,13,8]);}
translate([1.5,-0,-.1]){cube([3,8,23]);}
translate([4,-.1,-.1]){cube([3,13,8]);}
rotate(a=30,v=[1,0,0])translate([0,18.1,5]){cube([8,4,10]);}
}

rotate(a = 90,v= [1,0,0]) translate([-.4,1.8,-16.5]){cylinder(d=4,h=16.5,$fn=60);}

translate([0,6,19]){cube([6,2.2,3]);}

·
Administrator
4,228 Posts
Duplicate keys for key blanks that are hard to find???

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@delusionalmechanic I'm cheap too and use the free online tinkercad.com and the free Cura slicer. At some point am going to learn AutoCAD 2022, a free download as well.
Almost everything we've printed came from thingaverse.com

The code you posted is over my head at the moment, so many different things to learn depending how deep ya wanna get.

I learned of open SCAD for one of the models I downloaded but not much more yet.
Do you have an .stl or .obj or... file that I can slice?

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
727 Posts
can you make a bigger horn button 2018+?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've made emblems for key chains, knobs for glove box and storage keys and bushing holders for my trunk supports. Most recently a holder for tying down velcro straps in the saddlebags. I love making little things that solve a problem.

Rectangle Parallel Slope Font Pattern

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've made emblems for key chains, knobs for glove box and storage keys and bushing holders for my trunk supports. Most recently a holder for tying down velcro straps in the saddlebags. I love making little things that solve a problem.

View attachment 390955
I know, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts