GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ia there anyone out there that has had to replace their battery in their GL 1800 two years in a row? Mine is in storage over the winter and goes bad after sitting there for 3 mos. I have been riding a long time and I have never charged a battery in my life, and have rarely had a problem. Now I've talked to people who have done the same and others that do charge theirs, Now as you know the book says to charge it once a month. My01 needed one last year and again this one. Could somebody out there please set me straight!

G

·
I've had motorcycles since I was 16, my gl1800 is my 5th bike. I use a Sears battery maintainer...it's automatic and I've NEVER replaced a battery under 5 years old

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've been riding for 40 years and I've found out that when I bought and started using a Battery Tender, I was buying a lot fewer batteries. One more tip, most batteries need to be charged before they are installed in the bike, if that step is skipped, the battery is handicapped from day 1.

From Yuasa Battery FAQs

Q: Why should you charge your battery once a month?

A: When not in use, a battery discharges on a daily basis sometimes up to 0.5-1%. This rate of discharge increases when the climate is warm. To make up for this loss from disuse, a boosting charge should be given once a month.

Q: What can cause a new battery to fail soon after installation?

A: If a new battery becomes unserviceable within a few days or weeks after its installation it may be due one or more of the following reasons:

1. A faulty charging system.

2. A short circuit in the electrical system.

3. Battery terminals are dirty or not properly connected.

4. Excessive ignition off drains or high parasitic drains.

5. Electrical capacity of the battery is insufficient for size of the vehicle.

6. The battery has been inadequately activated, dissipating its strength from the outset.

7. The battery, after being filled with acid has been left too long without initial charging, and has been allowed to become sulfated.

Yuasa Battery FAQs
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.asp

·
Registered
307 Posts
battery

The GL1800 uses the power from the battery to power the computer, clock and some small items so there is a constant drain on it, if you park the bike and don't charge the battery for a few months, it will get drained. You should be able to charge it back up, unless it is parked in an unheated place and it gets really cold. That does damage to a drained battery. Invest in a battery maintainer like a battery Tender and you'll keep it charged. :)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: battery

Rick M said:
The GL1800 uses the power from the battery to power the computer, clock and some small items so there is a constant drain on it, if you park the bike and don't charge the battery for a fre months, it will get drained. ... Invest in a battery maintainer like a battery Tender and you'll keep it charged. :)
YEP! ... And don't forget the receiver in the trunk lid that is always waiting for you to push a button on your keychain remote.

We have car size electronics running on a motorcycle battery ― unlike motorcycles of the past. A battery maintainer, like the Battery Tender Plus (and others), is a necessity for a Gold Wing that is not ridden frequently.

Click on the right side of the banner at the top of this page and order yours today! :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i know its a pain but for many years i have taken my battery out of the bikes and stored them on a shelf

chargeing them once in a while

the last two years i put on a tender and left them in

seems like an easy way out--especialy since takeing the battery out of the pacific coast involves a bunch of plastic removal

loren

·
Registered
298 Posts
Keep in mind that your battery is under warranty!! I had mine replace on my 1500 once.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
hmmm .... I recall replacing the battery on my Gl1100A EVERY year because the bike just overwhelmed it and the winters finished it off ... wrote it off to the cost of biking.
Bought a tender some years ago and haven't replaced a battery yet. If I'm not going to be riding the Crush for a month ... it's on the tender.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
there may be some truth to the too many toys and lights hooked up to the battery that helps it die a premature death.

ive seem some decorated bikes have a lot of battery mishaps.

loren

·
Registered
21,095 Posts
Mr Wonderfull
If the storage place you are useing doesn't have a handy place for you to hook up a charger you could just disconnect the ground cable from the battery. That would prevent the electronics on the motorcycle from draining the battery,not as good as being hooked up to a charger but if the battery was fully charged when disconnected it should be fine for the 3-4 month storage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Battery drain

Unfortunately, the battery is only guaranteed for one year. On my '03, now over one year old, I have recently discovered that if the bike sits for more than two weeks, the battery is dead. Last week I installed an LCD voltmeter in the space below the right fairing pocket, and found that after I fullly charge the battery it loses voltage at the rate of .1 volt (one-tenth volt) every three or four days. The measured current drain when sitting is 3.24 milliamps without the LCD voltmeter and 4.23 milliamps with it connected. At this rate of discharge an 18 ampere-hour battery should take many months to discharge, not weeks. Looks like I need a new battery. I'll bet that the dealer did not properly charge the battery originally, as is the case with many out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gold Wing battery problems

Hey thanks everybody for the replies. Yes I succumbed and went out and invested in a battery tender today. As you guys said the is a lot more of electronics today, never had this problem when I used to ride Harleys years ago, but I am much happier now days. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Battery drain

Russ LaRose said:
The measured current drain when sitting is 3.24 milliamps without the LCD voltmeter and 4.23 milliamps with it connected. At this rate of discharge an 18 ampere-hour battery should take many months to discharge, not weeks.
When I measured the parasitic drain on my Wing it was about 20ma. Your numbers seem way too low to me.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bob,

You have parasites in your bike? That can't be good for the left over snacks left in the pockets...LOL

I leave everything that I have other than my cars on a Tender. Cheap insurance and no suprises.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The measured current drain when sitting is 3.24 milliamps without the LCD voltmeter and 4.23 milliamps with it connected. At this rate of discharge an 18 ampere-hour battery should take many months to discharge, not weeks.
That seems unusually low to me also. In any case natural self discharge will take a battery down even when disconnected, that's why Yuasa recommends charging at least once a month during the off season.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.asp?action=1&id=8

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my post above I should have more explicitly said that the measured external current drain is 3.24 milliamps. My point was that obviously there was an internal current drain much greater, which is the sign of a bad battery. I am confident that my Fluke ammeter is accurate in the 3.24 figure. Honda parasites are very small it seems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ADDENDUM:
Actually the battery current drain cycled from 3.17 to 3.24 milliamps every two or three seconds, evidently due to some programmed sampling in the main computer chip. I too was surprised at this low figure.

·
Registered
115 Posts
According to the owner's manual, if your kill switch is in the run position, even with the key off, it will drain the battery. I discovered this a few weeks ago when mine wouldn't start. Previously on my Valkyries I could let them sit for weeks and then just go start them up. I have since added a battery tender.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Geogyporgy said:
According to the owner's manual, if your kill switch is in the run position, even with the key off, it will drain the battery.
Hmmm... I gotta get my manual and look that up... do you remember what page number that was on? :?:

·
Registered
17,095 Posts
I don't think my copy of the owner's book says that about the kill swith. I think it does recommend leaving that switch in the "on" positon routinely. Its been a few months since I have read the book -- maybe time for a review? Hmmmmmmmmmm. I have recently looked at the wiring schematics in my repair book and don't recall any circuits that go through the kill switch (only one circuit does as I recall) that are not also going through the igniton switch up stream. I do forget (forget lots of stuff anymore) if the kill switch cuts the primary ignition circuit directly or by relay, or if it shuts the 1800 dwon thruogh the ECM by other means. I've heard some folks state that they defeat teh kill switch by wiring across its terminals so that the danged thing will never "trick" them again.

prs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts