GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have made a prototype CarPlay “smart” cable for the Gold Wing that will automatically connect after a programmed time eliminating having to wait to hook up the phone after the headset has made Bluetooth connection. For example it allows you to shut off the bike while getting gas or whatever and turn the bike back on without having to physically reconnect the phone again to get CarPlay to work. I think it would be especially useful for those that have the airbag option and have to have their phones connected in the trunk. This would mean the phone would not have to be reconnected after a gas stop or errand into a store. As soon as the bike is restarted it will automatically reconnect to CarPlay.

I currently have the programmed time set at 30 seconds after the bike is turned on to allow the headset to connect. My headset usually connects within less than 10 seconds so I could program the time to 15 seconds or whatever time I wanted as long as it is longer than the headset connection.

Does this sound useful to others that utilize CarPlay?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Definitely for Airbaggers but even non models. Question is, how large is it. Be nice if it’s small even for non-airbag models.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Very interesting!! Would depend on price of course, and as dc8cappie says, how bulky it is. That front compartment tends to get filled up with crap on long trips, so I don't have a lot of room to spare.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely for Airbaggers but even non models. Question is, how large is it. Be nice if it’s small even for non-airbag models.
It will add approximately 20mm x 20mm x 6mm to the end of the USB cable it’s wired to.
I’m in the process of running this smart cable to the lockable cubby and only the end will stick out into the cubby much like it does in the non lockable cubby.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting!! Would depend on price of course, and as dc8cappie says, how bulky it is. That front compartment tends to get filled up with crap on long trips, so I don't have a lot of room to spare.
My next step is to order some OEM USB cables and modify them so it will be a direct replacement for the original ones with the extra bulk being under the plastic panels.

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
My next step is to order some OEM USB cables and modify them so it will be a direct replacement for the original ones with the extra bulk being under the plastic panels.

That is how I would do it, it would result in the cleanest installation, however you will need to remove the top shelter to install it that way.

·
Registered
808 Posts
That is how I would do it, it would result in the cleanest installation, however you will need to remove the top shelter to install it that way.
Ugh... having to remove the top shelter would put me off... #toolazyforthis

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh... having to remove the top shelter would put me off... #toolazyforthis
I could maybe do three options on these cables. One being just a standard cable with smarts, one for front cubby OEM replacement and one for the trunk.
Also the OEM modded ones are going to cost more because cost of the OEM cable vs a standard modded one.
The down side of the standard one is it will take up more room and not be as clean as Fred mentioned.

·
Registered
505 Posts
For example it allows you to shut off the bike while getting gas or whatever and turn the bike back on without having to physically reconnect the phone again to get CarPlay to work.
You do know that when you stop for gas, you just turn the knob to the right and the phone stays connected while you fill up and you don't need to reconnect when you start the bike. If I physically walk away from the bike, I would lock it and take my phone with me so not sure this new option would help me much...JMHO

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
I could maybe do three options on these cables. One being just a standard cable with smarts, one for front cubby OEM replacement and one for the trunk.
Also the OEM modded ones are going to cost more because cost of the OEM cable vs a standard modded one.
The down side of the standard one is it will take up more room and not be as clean as Fred mentioned.

I haven't looked closely at the connector at the audio/nav unit, but you might be able to make one that would fit back there, which would mean you would only have to remove the seat to install it. You would just have to source the proper connectors and fabricate cable.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You do know that when you stop for gas, you just turn the knob to the right and the phone stays connected while you fill up and you don't need to reconnect when you start the bike. If I physically walk away from the bike, I would lock it and take my phone with me so not sure this new option would help me much...JMHO

I do the same but just leave my helmet on the seat & iPhone in the cubby! I'm in Canada so never an issue of anything getting stolen . . . :laugh:

·
Registered
808 Posts
I know that when I stop for gas, about half the time I turn the knob to the left because I'm not thinking about it, then think "oh balls! Now I'm going to have to reconnect CarPlay... Matt you moron, turn it to the right when you get gas!!" :laugh:

So, either this cable solution or just a big sign taped to the inside of my screen saying "don't be an idiot Matt, turn it to the right when you get gas!" would probably work for me!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Keep us informed.:smile2:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know that when I stop for gas, about half the time I turn the knob to the left because I'm not thinking about it, then think "oh balls! Now I'm going to have to reconnect CarPlay... Matt you moron, turn it to the right when you get gas!!" /forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png

So, either this cable solution or just a big sign taped to the inside of my screen saying "don't be an idiot Matt, turn it to the right when you get gas!" would probably work for me!
? That’s funny Matt!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
no i didnt! thanks for this

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
Will this eliminate the need for a mike to be recognized? If so, I’m in for one...

No it won't. You'll still need a Bluetooth connected headset to use Car Play. All this will do is delay the car play connection until after the headset has had time to connect.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep us informed./forums/images/GL1800riders_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
dc8cappie here is a picture of the unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I do the same as Hairball!! If I do have to run inside (washroom) I leave the helmet on my seat, still connected & turn my after-market alarm on (it has a very sensitive motion sensor) and it’s loud! It was cheap, it’s effective & works really well!

www.amazon.ca/Wireless-Anti-Theft-V...or+motorcycle&qid=1556560551&s=gateway&sr=8-5

1 - 20 of 24 Posts