GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I was a member for a year, never went to a meeting, but have rode with some GWRRA members, they were good guys. I think the gold book is what attracted me. But I have found this forum to be very helpful when on the road. You can generally post a "Need Help On The Road" post and within a few minutes you have help.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a member for a year, never went to a meeting, but have rode with some GWRRA members, they were good guys. I think the gold book is what attracted me. But I have found this forum to be very helpful when on the road. You can generally post a "Need Help On The Road" post and within a few minutes you have help.

:popcorn:
Thank you for the info

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
This thread inevitably will become a GWRRA haters vs lovers threads. Do a board search for GWRRA and you will find more than you want to know

Your best bet is to visit a chapter or two. You don't have to be a member to visit.
Each chapter is different, and you are going to have to decide for yourself if it's for you.

I was an active member for close to ten years, and have since drifted away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thread inevitably will become a GWRRA haters vs lovers threads. Do a board search for GWRRA and you will find more than you want to know

Your best bet is to visit a chapter or two. You don't have to be a member to visit.
Each chapter is different, and you are going to have to decide for yourself if it's for you.

I was an active member for close to ten years, and have since drifted away.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As stated above, there are many GWRRA 'haters' here- I'm not one of them. Our Chapter, KY-G, is active and fun. It IS true the average age of members is more.......'senior' than some others, but Gold Wing riders, in general are...more mature....LOL

Just go to some Chapter meetings and make up your mind for yourself. Some of the 'haters' don't like the structure- I'm retired military, so, to me, it's no big deal.

Only you can decide....go to meetings and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been a member for 15 years. I have only attended one or two meetings and prefer to go it alone. I enjoy the monthly magazine and always carry the goldbook with me. Used the free towing insurance once, it payed for my dues. For some people it is a great social outlet and you get out of it what you put in, just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been a member for 15 years. I have only attended one or two meetings and prefer to go it alone. I enjoy the monthly magazine and always carry the goldbook with me. Used the free towing insurance once, it payed for my dues. For some people it is a great social outlet and you get out of it what you put in, just not my cup of tea.
Thank you for the info

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As stated above, there are many GWRRA 'haters' here- I'm not one of them. Our Chapter, KY-G, is active and fun. It IS true the average age of members is more.......'senior' than some others, but Gold Wing riders, in general are...more mature....LOL

Just go to some Chapter meetings and make up your mind for yourself. Some of the 'haters' don't like the structure- I'm retired military, so, to me, it's no big deal.

Thank you for the info

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I just don't see the need for it, but that's just me. I don't hate it either. Some people seem to enjoy it and that's good too. Check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been a member for several years. Never went to any meetings but keep thinking I should. A local chapter meets near me the 2nd Sunday of each month. I do like the monthly magazine. I also have the rescue plus membership though have never used it. I apparently misunderstood the bit about providing discounts at select hotels. It seems you only get discounts if you break down and need to stay overnight. I tried to use the membership to get a discount at the hotel chain they are with and had no luck; the clerk couldn't find it and no discount. Later we tried a second time by mailing proof of our stay in, and found out they only provide a hotel discount if you are broken down. Our local AAA doesn't cover motorcycles so we're staying with the rescue plus for now. All in all, I guess I'm a member for the Rescue plus and a magazine subscription. Good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Gwrra

I've been a member for several years. Never went to any meetings but keep thinking I should. A local chapter meets near me the 2nd Sunday of each month. I do like the monthly magazine. I also have the rescue plus membership though have never used it. I apparently misunderstood the bit about providing discounts at select hotels. It seems you only get discounts if you break down and need to stay overnight. I tried to use the membership to get a discount at the hotel chain they are with and had no luck; the clerk couldn't find it and no discount. Later we tried a second time by mailing proof of our stay in, and found out they only provide a hotel discount if you are broken down. Our local AAA doesn't cover motorcycles so we're staying with the rescue plus for now. All in all, I guess I'm a member for the Rescue plus and a magazine subscription. Good luck.
I am a GWRRA MEMBER. Chapter O of Ofallon mo. I have used the wyndham hotel discount many times. You have to make your reservation on line and have the corporate discount # and then BOOM 20% OFF. You can not wait till you get to a motel and then ask for the discount. Make it online ahead of time and 20% off is a great discount.

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am a member here at GWRA VA-I in Manassas, VA. My wife and I truly love the chapter, and also meeting people all around the world. Simply look at the chapters website for the closest chapter in Maryland that pecks your interest. I do believe there is seven GWRRA MD Chapters; Chapter B [Oxon Hill], Chapter C [Glen Burnie and Pasadena], Chapter F [Hagerstown], Chapter H [Bel Air and Aberdeen], Chapter I [Waldorf], Chapter J [Annapolis], Chapter L [Easton]..

Good luck In your findings of the right chapter suited for you.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
:thumbup:

You can be a member and enjoy all the OTHER benefits without ever attending a meeting.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am a GWRRA MEMBER. Chapter O of Ofallon mo. I have used the wyndham hotel discount many times. You have to make your reservation on line and have the corporate discount # and then BOOM 20% OFF. You can not wait till you get to a motel and then ask for the discount. Make it online ahead of time and 20% off is a great discount.

Jim
This is true. Make your reservations online to get the discount. If you call the hotel directly or wait till you get to the hotel, the desk clerk will not know anything about it. Same is true for any other hotel chain discount except for ones like AAA, AARP that they see all the time.

OP, I have been a member of GWRRA for about 25 years but I am not now as active as I once was. Don't go by what we say about GWRRA. Only you can decide if it is something you will like or not. Do as others have suggested and go to some meetings. GWRRA chapters are like people, each one has its own unique personality. There are some you will like and others that you may not like. When you join GWRRA, you become a member of ALL chapters but YOU decide which chapter (or chapters) in which you will participate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Jim
Thank you for your info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is true. Make your reservations online to get the discount. If you call the hotel directly or wait till you get to the hotel, the desk clerk will not know anything about it. Same is true for any other hotel chain discount except for ones like AAA, AARP that they see all the time.

OP, I have been a member of GWRRA for about 25 years but I am not now as active as I once was. Don't go by what we say about GWRRA. Only you can decide if it is something you will like or not. Do as others have suggested and go to some meetings. GWRRA chapters are like people, each one has its own unique personality. There are some you will like and others that you may not like. When you join GWRRA, you become a member of ALL chapters but YOU decide which chapter (or chapters) in which you will participate.
I will remember that info thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts