GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this question is for those who have ridden BOTH a Gold Wing trike AND a Can-Am Spyder:

What are the handling differences between the two? Both on the straightaways and in the twisties?

Thanks for any experience...

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
You push turn on a trike and you pretend you are on a snowmobile on a can am Which is better I cant answer for you go ride both for a distance and see which you prefer. I enjoy my ind suspension gw and the power I have I keep up with any two wheeler except the crotch rockets and I am not that crazy so I dont care I get asked to slow down by two wheelers in the three sister in hill country and I just laugh and say we wait at the next stop sign dont sweat it

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have a look at this YouTube video.

Here are the reasons I prefer the Can Am Spyder.

• Power steering
  • When turning at speed, I don't worry about the bike tipping to the outside of the turn, and turning over. The Can Am has VSS (Vehicle Stability System), which includes, ABS, Electronic Brake Distribution, Traction Control System, Stability Control System.
  • It has a true reverse
  • Semi-automatic transmission -- you must up shift, but you do not have to down shift.
  • The Rotax motor is very reliable and powerful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here are the reasons I don't like them the passenger gets beat up on the twisties, and the overall ride on a Hannigan is way better than the Spider, plus a Spider would never make it to 300K miles. In closing, the resale on a Spider is horrible, my buddy had to take a huge hit when he sold his.

·
Registered
608 Posts
So, this question is for those who have ridden BOTH a Gold Wing trike AND a Can-Am Spyder:

What are the handling differences between the two? Both on the straightaways and in the twisties?
The time I spent on the Spider was very limited but here's what I immediately noticed compared to my conventional trike:

The steering is very light/sensitive on the Spider. I was used to having to put some effort into turning and the Spider steering was so easy that it was almost "twitchy"--real easy to oversteer but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The suspension/ride quality on the Spider was very soft/plush compared to my trike. This was great on the straights but it tended to pitch or lean in the turns--again this is something one probably gets used to pretty quickly if you're not used to something different.

Hope that was useful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight... I'm genuinely curious... Why buy either of these?

If I ever have to stop riding on two wheels, I think I'd just get a Mazda Miata, BMW Z4, or Chevy Corvette. You still get the wind and open air, but you don't have to wear a helmet or jacket. You arrive at your destination in a presentable fashion (instead of sweaty and smelly), you can take a passenger -- even if they won't ride on a motorcycle, and you have decent luggage capacity.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm not trying to start a fight... I'm genuinely curious... Why buy either of these?

If I ever have to stop riding on two wheels, I think I'd just get a Mazda Miata, BMW Z4, or Chevy Corvette. You still get the wind and open air, but you don't have to wear a helmet or jacket. You arrive at your destination in a presentable fashion (instead of sweaty and smelly), you can take a passenger -- even if they won't ride on a motorcycle, and you have decent luggage capacity.
Different strokes for different folks.... I’m 6’2” and hate cars.... getting in and out of them suck. Then once your in them they still suck.

I personally prefer things you sit on.... motorcycles, trikes, quads and horses. ..... if I need to sit in it I’ll take a full sized truck like a superduty.

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
The Spyder reports are very interesting, the three cylinder Spyder’s are greatly improved compared to the original two cylinder model, even the mpg is a lot better on the new and more powerful model.
Myself and a few friends took a test ride on a brand new Spyder out in Nebraska a couple weeks ago, everyone liked it, it ain’t as powerful as a wing but I figured it had all the power I would ever need. Yes the steering seemed a little twitchy but I’m sure I would adapt to that pretty quick. The seat was very comfortable and the storage space is very nice. If I was switching to a trike it very likely would be a Spyder. As far as resale value the early twin cylinder models are available dirt cheap the three cylinder models are a little harder to come by.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The Spyder reports are very interesting, the three cylinder Spyder’s are greatly improved compared to the original two cylinder model, even the mpg is a lot better on the new and more powerful model.
Myself and a few friends took a test ride on a brand new Spyder out in Nebraska a couple weeks ago, everyone liked it, it ain’t as powerful as a wing but I figured it had all the power I would ever need. Yes the steering seemed a little twitchy but I’m sure I would adapt to that pretty quick. The seat was very comfortable and the storage space is very nice. If I was switching to a trike it very likely would be a Spyder. As far as resale value the early twin cylinder models are available dirt cheap the three cylinder models are a little harder to come by.
My wife and I qualified and obtained our 3-wheel endorsement through an MSF course. We rode all of the 3-wheelers - Sypders, trikes, sidecars too.

Each interesting. The Spyder was the easiest to ride. Little MC experience needed. People kept riding over cones on the trike. But over time, we know people would adjust. The Urals with sidecars were fun.

Rode all three over a weekend.

My big concern is reliability. In the Spyder forums, they talk about buying a 2014 or newer Spyder with the larger 1300cc engine.

What is concerning - The reports I'm hearing of the Spyders breaking down on our mountain passes and their limited dealer network. Only have two dealers in the Seattle. Called Can Am in Quebec asking questions and they gave me no answers and told me to talk to my dealers. Worst customer service from the manufacturer. Won't buy one because of that! Yamaha and Honda have been very helpful. Yamaha rep told me exactly where to ride in Southern California and good dealers to rent a bike from.

Another option:

·
Registered
560 Posts

Driving a car does not match the experience of the wind on your face or riding.

Why a trike? Why not.
One of the largest consumer groups buying trikes are women. Can ride their own bike. Don't we want more riders?
Seen several older couples nearing their 80s riding mainly Spyders. Wife and I completed the state 3-wheel course together.
Some riders have disabilities or limited mobility.
Sidecars are 3-wheelers are a blast to ride.
To be different from the rest.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

Well, with your statement it is also valid just to say why ride a motorcycle at all? A car is always better...

You imply that motorcycling is all about leaning into the curves, otherwise, what's the point?

I've never ridden a trike or spider, nor have any desire to, but I do understand why people like to ride them.

And, we've all heard the "real bikers" who constantly say, "Why ride a Goldwing??? ...Road sofa, might as well be driving a car..." But, we all know different, don't we.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good thread here, hope there are some Spyders that come to this forum occasionally to participate. I've been chasing the Spyder for a couple years now trying to wrap my mind around a switch to a RT Limnited, or F3 tourer, and I haven't gotten to actually pulling the trigger. There re reasons I haven't an I can't seem to get them resolved. First is the issue of lost $ in the trade in thing, but that's a given, the horror stories about some of the Spyder 'fix it shops', but then, those exist for any brand. I have my Road Smith set up for more luggage capacity than I could ever have on the Spyder, without going to a pull trailer, not doing that. My gut feeling is my 2005 GW is more reliable than the Spyder with all the Spyder electronics. The Spyder touring machine suspension is a dream, the riding position and seat is most comfortable, the thing is eye candy and has that appeal, steering is almost effortless. So deciding that a Spyder would be a better riding machine for the Mrs. and I has so far eluded me and I'm thinking it will in the future, but never say never is my mantra at this point. But if I haven't pulled the trigger at this point, I probably won't.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've had a lot of BRP motors over the last 15 years, in SkiDoos, SeaDoos, and Evinrude outboards.

They're all good motors and fit for purpose, but there's no way I would put one of them up against the GL1800 for reliability - RAVE valves, lean meltdowns, PTO and MAG bearing failures, clutch failures...

It's not even remotely close, but most people won't ride them more than a few hundred miles a year and it doesn't matter.

Kind of like a Craftsman drill being designed to run for approximately 2 hours. Great for the homeowner who needs to drill a couple holes a year in sheetrock.

·
Registered
20,683 Posts
Was out riding yesterday and got to talking to a lady with a Spyder attempting to put air in the rear tire, I asked how much air it was supposed to have but she didn’t know and didn’t have a gauge. So got my gauge out and checked it had 27 pounds and the center of the tire was worn out with only 10,000 miles on it. Some guy driving a car comes over and says he also owns a identical 2015 Spyder, so I ask him how much air the rear tire is supposed to have and he says he doesn’t know because the tire shop takes care of his tires . I asked if the Spyder was equipped with a tire pressure monitor but neither one of them knew.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My reason for considering a trike will be when I become uncomfortable on 2 wheels. Another reason would be for very long touring trips (that would require an additional vehicle, if I can still ride on 2). On very long trips, I would want to haul a camper trailer, so I do not have to pay for lodging unless something really strikes my fancy.

I do not think the Spyder is equipped to pull a 400-500 pound fully-loaded trailer, but I may be wrong. Also, when pulling a trailer, I do not think I will be attacking the twisties.

While I do think that a Corvette (or other convertible) is a compromise, but I own a Corvette and there is no comparison to the open air feeling. I would not feel the same in the car when traveling the Going to the Sun Road or the numerous other scenic byways all go out of our way to ride.

I do not think I would even allow my Corvette on the Alaskan Highway, but I am just counting the days until I can take my Goldwing there - 2 or 3 wheels.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So got my gauge out and checked it had 27 pounds and the center of the tire was worn out with only 10,000 miles on it.
You did well for her. 26-28psi by the book so it was pretty much bang on. Rear tyre will be gone by 8k if you gun it I bit. Some of us use an alternative, I might manage 10k on the present car tyre. Pretty much like the Goldwing really.

·
Love The DCT
11,393 Posts
My reason for considering a trike will be when I become uncomfortable on 2 wheels. Another reason would be for very long touring trips (that would require an additional vehicle, if I can still ride on 2). On very long trips, I would want to haul a camper trailer, so I do not have to pay for lodging unless something really strikes my fancy.

I do not think the Spyder is equipped to pull a 400-500 pound fully-loaded trailer, but I may be wrong. Also, when pulling a trailer, I do not think I will be attacking the twisties.

While I do think that a Corvette (or other convertible) is a compromise, but I own a Corvette and there is no comparison to the open air feeling. I would not feel the same in the car when traveling the Going to the Sun Road or the numerous other scenic byways all go out of our way to ride.

I do not think I would even allow my Corvette on the Alaskan Highway, but I am just counting the days until I can take my Goldwing there - 2 or 3 wheels.
The Spyder RT Limited rated towing capacity is 400 lbs.

:doorag:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts