GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Did anyone mention the 3-4 main computers in the Spyders?
The cheapest one is $800.00, and when I test drove one a couple years ago there was no extended warranty available.
My local Can Am Spyder tech said expect $2,000 repair bills with Spyders.:crying::crying:

He recommended the Gold Wing trike conversion!

·
Registered
651 Posts
OP here.

Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in with their experience on this question.

Won't be long, now that I'm 70, that I'll be looking for an "extra wheel".

I've also test ridden a Tilting Motor Works (TMW) "Trio" tilting front trike conversion. If they get the firmware on that system that controls the locking and unlocking of the front suspension sorted out, it would be the way to go. You can't really tell at all that you are on a trike when riding at speeds above 7MPH when the front end is not locked and leveled. Bike handles and leans just like a 2-wheeler. Pretty amazing design, actually. The issue is that the logic that controls lockup and release at speeds under 7 MPH is so complex that the human brain cannot keep up with it. As a result it's hard to know if you should be counter steering (2-wheel steering) or trike steering (3-wheel steering) at any particular moment when below 7 MPH! Not good, since those are exact opposites of one another.

Thanks again for your replies!
I'm local to these guy but the complexity of their system is a huge negative. When you have to provide a 1,2,3 hour training session with the new owner, it's too complex. Need to hire a few software engineers and get some firmware going! Want them to be successful!

Reactions: WingMan71

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I'm local to these guy but the complexity of their system is a huge negative. When you have to provide a 1,2,3 hour training session with the new owner, it's too complex.Need to hire a few software engineers and get some firmware going! Want them to be successful!
For a minute I thought you were talking about the new 2018-2019 GW :wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these as a trike substitute?

https://www.landingear.com/
I saw one of these, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, in Indianapolis on the way to the first MotoGP race at the Brickyard (must have been more than 10 years ago).

The fellow riding it was helped off when they got to their stopping place and got in a wheel chair. The stabilizing wheels retracted once you were underway, and then deployed as you slowed down.

I’d never seen one before or since.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Back from the trip, just under 3,000 miles.
(1 GW 2 wheeler, 1 Harley 2 wheeler, 1 Can-Am Spyder, 1 Harley Trike & 1 Goldwing Trike, all pulling trailers loaded for 2 weeks)

HANDLING IN CURVES
Lots of twisty roads on the coast route (CA-1). Of course, the 2 wheelers had the most fun. Much more work for the 3 wheelers.
The Can-Am said he will invest in a sturdier anti-swaybar as he experienced enough sway in the twisties to make him decide on taking another route half way down the coast.
I was a bit more aggressive and my GW Trike got hot when we were climbing twisty hills, mostly due to slow speeds (stuck behind the Harleys) and high RPMs.
When I was in front, I could go faster and it seemed to help hold the temp down. Keep in mind, we were all pulling loaded trailers.

PULL-OUTS
Throughout the trip, there were many spots where we pulled over to enjoy the view. Not all were paved and of course, the 3 wheelers had no problems with that. 2 wheelers didn't do as well in the gravel.

HIGHWAY DRIVING
All bikes rode and handled well going on flat, straight roads. All our wives were comfortable riding back seat, although some complained about visibility (fat heads blocking forward view).
The Harley's seem to take longer to pass vehicles than the GW's or Can-Am. This may be due to riding styles as our Harley drivers are a bit more laid back then the rest of us.
When stopped at construction zones & stop-n-go traffic, the 3 wheelers had an easier time than the 2 wheelers.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the Can-Am has a better reverse. All of us had occasion where we needed to back out of our spots. Can-Am did quickly and easily, GW's did so slowly, Harley Trike had reverse, but sounded terrible and Harley 2-wheeler had wife pushing, but she didn't sound as bad.

Although the trip was fantastic, all us 3 wheelers wished we could have done it a few years ago when we had our 2 wheelers. Would have been much more fun.
I don't regret making the switch to 3 wheels. It was a good time to do so and it will allow me to ride for many more years..... but probably on roads that are a bit straighter.
Thanks very much for taking the time to write up this ride report. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've also test ridden a Tilting Motor Works (TMW) "Trio" tilting front trike conversion. If they get the firmware on that system that controls the locking and unlocking of the front suspension sorted out, it would be the way to go. You can't really tell at all that you are on a trike when riding at speeds above 7MPH when the front end is not locked and leveled. Bike handles and leans just like a 2-wheeler. Pretty amazing design, actually. The issue is that the logic that controls lockup and release at speeds under 7 MPH is so complex that the human brain cannot keep up with it. As a result it's hard to know if you should be counter steering (2-wheel steering) or trike steering (3-wheel steering) at any particular moment when below 7 MPH! Not good, since those are exact opposites of one another.
Question Wingman. Is low speed maneuvering significantly easier with the TMW WITHOUT Trio engaged? I mainly have difficulty with low speed maneuvering with a heavy goldwing, especially with a passenger. I don't NEED the Trio if the TMW design makes low speed handling significantly easier. I'm still only 63. If a non-Trio system would be a significant improvement over what I currently have, it would be an easy way to get into the system and upgrade when the firmware issue is resolved.

For all I know that has already happened. I don't really know how someone could find that out.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Question Wingman. Is low speed maneuvering significantly easier with the TMW WITHOUT Trio engaged? I mainly have difficulty with low speed maneuvering with a heavy goldwing, especially with a passenger. I don't NEED the Trio if the TMW design makes low speed handling significantly easier. I'm still only 63. If a non-Trio system would be a significant improvement over what I currently have, it would be an easy way to get into the system and upgrade when the firmware issue is resolved.

For all I know that has already happened. I don't really know how someone could find that out.
Just saw this post. Sorry for the late reply.

Actually, the two-wheeled front end on the TMW Trio system makes it just a tad bit harder to maneuver at slow parking lost speeds. Reason is that you are turning two wheels and the associated suspension that holds them all by hand with the handlebars. Just a little bit more steering effort, but definitely noticeable, so it is not easier handling at slow speeds. There is no power steering assist like on a Can-Am Spyder. So, yes, you DO notice the front end effort when steering during slow speed maneuvers.

That said, you don't notice the two-wheeled front end AT ALL when riding on the street at anywhere over 10 MPH or so. At speed, they handle just exactly like a two-wheeler. If someone sat you on one and didn't let you look at the front end and sent you off down the road you would never know you were on a trike. It's a great design.

I so wished that this design was going to work for me. I had my deposit down on a conversion for my 2006 Wing. After two test rides, I canceled it. As I mentioned, I don't feel that the firmware that controls lock and unlock on the Tilt Lock system is ready for prime time. You have to be prepared to change from counter steering and trike steering at a moment's notice when the firmware decides to lock and unlock the Tilt Lock system. If you aren't paying attention, you can easily be steering in exactly the wrong direction when it changes.

There are TMW Trio owners who have stuck with it and learned as well as they could to tame the beast. Some choose to only turn the Tilt Lock system on once they pull into a parking lot, etc. The sad part is that way too many of the early TMW Trio owners are putting their bikes up for sale just a few months after getting them. To me that says that they are giving up trying to master the Tilt Lock system. There are also recent reports from TMW suppliers saying that they have not been getting paid lately. Again, too bad, because I was really hoping this system was the answer for me.

There is a Tilting Motor Works Owners Facebook page where you can read all about them. The good and the bad.

I, and others, have suggested to the TMW owner and inventor that he change the Tilt Lock system from a firmware controlled system to a manual system that the rider engages or disengages themselves using a push button. If they did that, I'd probably get one. But, the owner won't consider it.

Regarding an update to the Tilt Lock firmware, I doubt there will be another one coming. It's been tweaked as much as it can be at this point. To me, a manually controlled system is the only answer and I doubt that they will do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like it's parking lot practice time for me. Hit the local Kroger last night. Right now my u turns can best be described as within a country mile. I hope to improve!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looks like it's parking lot practice time for me. Hit the local Kroger last night. Right now my u turns can best be described as within a country mile. I hope to improve!
You can get a lot of help on slow speed maneuvering on this site. Just do a search.

The first thing that most will tell you is that you have to turn your entire upper body and shoulders and head as far around as you can in the direction of the turn. It's the old saying "the bike goes where you look", and it does!

Do that and you will dramatically decrease your turning radius.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I, and others, have suggested to the TMW owner and inventor that he change the Tilt Lock system from a firmware controlled system to a manual system that the rider engages or disengages themselves using a push button. If they did that, I'd probably get one. But, the owner won't consider it.

Regarding an update to the Tilt Lock firmware, I doubt there will be another one coming. It's been tweaked as much as it can be at this point. To me, a manually controlled system is the only answer and I doubt that they will do it.
This is sad. I had high hope for this local company but if they are not going to listen to customers and consumer feedback, hard to buy the product.

Reactions: oldbikerbill

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are manual “training wheels” I found while searching on line. They are much larger than Landin’Gear. I’m not sure I’m ready to be that obvious. I can hold the bike up fine, even with left foot down right foot brake. I just need instruction/practice with turns and slow speed stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Driving a car does not match the experience of the wind on your face or riding.

Why a trike? Why not.
One of the largest consumer groups buying trikes are women. Can ride their own bike. Don't we want more riders?
Seen several older couples nearing their 80s riding mainly Spyders. Wife and I completed the state 3-wheel course together.
Some riders have disabilities or limited mobility.
Sidecars are 3-wheelers are a blast to ride.
To be different from the rest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been riding since i was 14, I'm now 73. Last year my son and I took a trip from ST Louis to Chicago. The Chicago traffic was really too hard on me holding up that 750 in stop and go Chicago traffic.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts