GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Did anyone mention the 3-4 main computers in the Spyders?
The cheapest one is $800.00, and when I test drove one a couple years ago there was no extended warranty available.
My local Can Am Spyder tech said expect $2,000 repair bills with Spyders.:crying::crying:

He recommended the Gold Wing trike conversion!

·
Registered
567 Posts
OP here.

Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in with their experience on this question.

Won't be long, now that I'm 70, that I'll be looking for an "extra wheel".

I've also test ridden a Tilting Motor Works (TMW) "Trio" tilting front trike conversion. If they get the firmware on that system that controls the locking and unlocking of the front suspension sorted out, it would be the way to go. You can't really tell at all that you are on a trike when riding at speeds above 7MPH when the front end is not locked and leveled. Bike handles and leans just like a 2-wheeler. Pretty amazing design, actually. The issue is that the logic that controls lockup and release at speeds under 7 MPH is so complex that the human brain cannot keep up with it. As a result it's hard to know if you should be counter steering (2-wheel steering) or trike steering (3-wheel steering) at any particular moment when below 7 MPH! Not good, since those are exact opposites of one another.

Thanks again for your replies!
I'm local to these guy but the complexity of their system is a huge negative. When you have to provide a 1,2,3 hour training session with the new owner, it's too complex. Need to hire a few software engineers and get some firmware going! Want them to be successful!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'm local to these guy but the complexity of their system is a huge negative. When you have to provide a 1,2,3 hour training session with the new owner, it's too complex.Need to hire a few software engineers and get some firmware going! Want them to be successful!
For a minute I thought you were talking about the new 2018-2019 GW :wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these as a trike substitute?

https://www.landingear.com/
I saw one of these, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, in Indianapolis on the way to the first MotoGP race at the Brickyard (must have been more than 10 years ago).

The fellow riding it was helped off when they got to their stopping place and got in a wheel chair. The stabilizing wheels retracted once you were underway, and then deployed as you slowed down.

I’d never seen one before or since.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Back from the trip, just under 3,000 miles.
(1 GW 2 wheeler, 1 Harley 2 wheeler, 1 Can-Am Spyder, 1 Harley Trike & 1 Goldwing Trike, all pulling trailers loaded for 2 weeks)

HANDLING IN CURVES
Lots of twisty roads on the coast route (CA-1). Of course, the 2 wheelers had the most fun. Much more work for the 3 wheelers.
The Can-Am said he will invest in a sturdier anti-swaybar as he experienced enough sway in the twisties to make him decide on taking another route half way down the coast.
I was a bit more aggressive and my GW Trike got hot when we were climbing twisty hills, mostly due to slow speeds (stuck behind the Harleys) and high RPMs.
When I was in front, I could go faster and it seemed to help hold the temp down. Keep in mind, we were all pulling loaded trailers.

PULL-OUTS
Throughout the trip, there were many spots where we pulled over to enjoy the view. Not all were paved and of course, the 3 wheelers had no problems with that. 2 wheelers didn't do as well in the gravel.

HIGHWAY DRIVING
All bikes rode and handled well going on flat, straight roads. All our wives were comfortable riding back seat, although some complained about visibility (fat heads blocking forward view).
The Harley's seem to take longer to pass vehicles than the GW's or Can-Am. This may be due to riding styles as our Harley drivers are a bit more laid back then the rest of us.
When stopped at construction zones & stop-n-go traffic, the 3 wheelers had an easier time than the 2 wheelers.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the Can-Am has a better reverse. All of us had occasion where we needed to back out of our spots. Can-Am did quickly and easily, GW's did so slowly, Harley Trike had reverse, but sounded terrible and Harley 2-wheeler had wife pushing, but she didn't sound as bad.

Although the trip was fantastic, all us 3 wheelers wished we could have done it a few years ago when we had our 2 wheelers. Would have been much more fun.
I don't regret making the switch to 3 wheels. It was a good time to do so and it will allow me to ride for many more years..... but probably on roads that are a bit straighter.
Thanks very much for taking the time to write up this ride report. Appreciate it.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts