GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a pretty good article. I was surprised that one of the riders thought everything BMW did to the GT to make it the L version made it worse.

Apparently the GT version is a very good ride.

·
Registered
476 Posts
How did Jamie put it, "sorry I doubted you big guy" or something to that effect.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
It was a good article, and it confirmed what most people on this forum have said. If you want a touring bike that puts long distance comfort and two-up accommodations first, the GW is the best bike. If you want something that is closer to the sport/touring end of the spectrum then the BMW would win.

I give them credit for not being single minded about their evaluation.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
:agree:

It's up to us to be single-minded. Since riding hundreds of miles with a minimum of tailbone ache, back stiffness, neck cramps, knee pain, and butt soreness is paramount to me, in addition to lack of wind buffeting, I wouldn't even consider trading my 05 w/Tulsa for a BMW. The fact that the GL1800 has a great engine and excellent handling for it's configuration in addition, easily keeps it "King". :thumbup:

It was a good article, and it confirmed what most people on this forum have said. If you want a touring bike that puts long distance comfort and two-up accommodations first, the GW is the best bike. If you want something that is closer to the sport/touring end of the spectrum then the BMW would win.

I give them credit for not being single minded about their evaluation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
BMW builds a good touring bike. People toured this country on a BMW motorcycle long before the GL1000 was just a gleam in some Japanese designer's eye.

I'm on a GL1800 because of lower scheduled maintenance costs.

OK, let the flaming begin........:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
BMW builds a good touring bike. People toured this country on a BMW motorcycle long before the GL1000 was just a gleam in some Japanese designer's eye.

I'm on a GL1800 because of lower scheduled maintenance costs.

OK, let the flaming begin........:popcorn:
No flaming required. But a bit of clarifacation perhaps. So you are saying that people toured on a BMW back when there were no Goldwings but now that there are Goldwings the ONLY reason you ride one is because it's cheaper? That's like saying people had been using outhouses in the past because there were no indoor toilets yet but now that there are the only reason they use them is because they don't have to go outside anymore.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A bit of clarification, OK....

Since 1977 I've owned seven BMW motorcycles. I've seen dealership network gradually decline since BMWNA took control from Butler & Smith to where many states have no authorized BMW dealer. BMW dealership hourly rates hover near [email protected] and a 12K or a 24K maintenance on a late model K1200LT can cost just over $1,000. BMW factory warranty on a new BMW is 36,000 miles or 36 months and an extended warranty is over $1200. Plus the BMW requires premium fuel for maximum performance.

Compare the above numbers to what we spend on a Gold Wing, plus number of Honda dealers thruout the country. Call me cheap if you will but I would rather put my cash into a money market than line a BMW dealers pockets.

If I didn't have my GW, I would own a FJR.

BTW, my first Honda was a new 1966 CB450.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a BMW GS1200 and a GL1800, you`ll go broke with either bike if you don`t do most all the work yourself although the BMW does require more frequent service. The Goldwing is a good bike but its a little long in the tooth and it needs upgrades. Lighter weight better suspension and better power to weight ratio would all be nice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a BMW GS1200 and a GL1800, you`ll go broke with either bike if you don`t do most all the work yourself although the BMW does require more frequent service. The Goldwing is a good bike but its a little long in the tooth and it needs upgrades. Lighter weight better suspension and better power to weight ratio would all be nice.
I'd settle for the suspension. I rarely use all the power as it is. Mostly passing on 2 lane roads, and it does that well enough.

I sold my BMW and got a Wing because I felt I no longer rode fast enough to need the BMW handling, and so didn't mind the extra weight. I didn't realize the Honda suspension was quite as bad as it is.

As pointed out above, neither bike is cheap if you get your service done at the dealer.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'd settle for the suspension. I rarely use all the power as it is. Mostly passing on 2 lane roads, and it does that well enough.

I sold my BMW and got a Wing because I felt I no longer rode fast enough to need the BMW handling, and so didn't mind the extra weight. I didn't realize the Honda suspension was quite as bad as it is.

As pointed out above, neither bike is cheap if you get your service done at the dealer.
Oh Geeze....now you've done it!!! :popcorn:

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
i was looking ay the 1600 yesterday
the top trunk is too small
it rattles badly
grab the trunk at a stop and feel the play
there is a problem

the rest is rock solid

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
i was looking ay the 1600 yesterday
the top trunk is too small
it rattles badly
grab the trunk at a stop and feel the play
there is a problem

the rest is rock solid
You've looked at them several times. What's up with that? :shrug:

Actually I'm guessing I know why. The dealer you go to is a Honda/BMW dealer and you may be there for your Goldwing. I know that bike they have there has probably seen a little abuse - I rode it myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts