GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last Saturday I was out riding with my wife around Julian Calif when I went around a right hand bend and hit some ice while doing about 25 to 30mph, the secound I seen the ice I knew we were going down and sure enough BAM !!! it went down on the left side and flipped over to the right side and came to a stop about after 60 or 70ft. all I remember is hitting the ground and tumbling, when I stopped I was amazed there wasen't a scratch on me. I was wareing leather chaps, steel toed boots and a jacket with armor padding, the only sign that I crashed was a hole torn in the toe of one of my boots.
The wife wasen't as lucky, she had a deep gouge (SP?) in the front of her helmet and banged up her leg pretty good but nothing broken.
She will be hobbling around on crutches a few days.
All in all we feel lucky we didn't slide into anouther vehicle and no one else was envolved.
I am guessing it will cost about $5000, to $6000 to repair and take about a month before I get my bike back.
I decided I was going to ride my wifes bike, a 2006 Shadow Areo till she feels up to riding it again, This thing feels like a mini bike compared to the wing, and has no fairing to protect against the wind and cold mornings :(
God I miss my wing, and its only been two days since the accident :shock:
How will I servive till I get the wing back :?: :( :(

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
'Not sure much would have helped you here.

I took an LTD 700 down on ice. As I went into the corner on a super-clear skies, sunny, cold Montana morning, I noticed a wide, dark strip along both shoulders of the road and across the intersection I was going through. I was feeling good so I figured I'd drag some parts and went into a nice lean. About then, I realized the paths came from a street cleaner. It was about 23F so I figured the water had probably frozen. At about the same instant, I was going over said water-turned-ice.

Stop the action for a moment. I was wearing a set of sheep-skin chaps I had made for riding in the cold on a nakid bike. They were thick although probably not all that strong. I was only going about 15mph. I thought as I went down, "If I can keep my leg under the bike...".

So that's how me and the bike went across the road - me holding on the the handlebars with my left foot planted firmly on the peg, the bike resting on my leg, and my leg sliding across the road. The bike never touched the ground! Whew!

Oh ya, my leg was ok too.

Careful out there guys and gals!

·
Registered
900 Posts
White Lightning,

Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad to hear that you are okay and that your wife was only slightly injured.

I just got my bike back from the shop from an accident I had on November 1st. When I went down I was going less than 5mph, but broke my right arm & left thumb. I was actually healed and ready to ride before they finished repairing the bike!

I wish your wife a speedy recovery and the bike a speedy repair!

Ride often, ride safe & ...
Be careful out there!

-=Margarita Will=-

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Margarita Will said:
White Lightning,

Sorry to hear about your accident, but I'm glad to hear that you are okay and that your wife was only slightly injured.

I just got my bike back from the shop from an accident I had on November 1st. When I went down I was going less than 5mph, but broke my right arm & left thumb. I was actually healed and ready to ride before they finished repairing the bike!

I wish your wife a speedy recovery and the bike a speedy repair!

Ride often, ride safe & ...
Be careful out there!

-=Margarita Will=-
5MPH!!? how much damage can you do at that slow a speed???

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Havin' been there myself but not on a Wing but a Milwaukee based product I was a lil' worse for wear and tear. Good to hear that things were minor for y'all physically and the Wing will be better than new. My HD wasn't so lucky and had to go to the motorcycle parts bin, a bad time back when that happened I had to go just over a year with no 2 wheeler. :wink:
Is the better half hesitant to hop back on?? Talk gently, promise her pretty much anything and yer in like Flynn again. 8)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
******* Dave said:
Havin' been there myself but not on a Wing but a Milwaukee based product I was a lil' worse for wear and tear. Good to hear that things were minor for y'all physically and the Wing will be better than new. My HD wasn't so lucky and had to go to the motorcycle parts bin, a bad time back when that happened I had to go just over a year with no 2 wheeler. :wink:
Is the better half hesitant to hop back on?? Talk gently, promise her pretty much anything and yer in like Flynn again. 8)
Shoulden't be a problem with the wife getting back on a bike, she has her own bike and figures it will be about a week or so till her leg is healed enough to go back riding it to work

Wht Lightning

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Sounds like moma is going to need a new helmet.Thats a good thing,
helmets are cheep, compared to the alternitive.Glad youall are ok.
**** :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Gold Wings can't ice skate !! ( I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY

White Lightnig said:
This last Saturday I was out riding with my wife around Julian Calif when I went around a right hand bend and hit some ice while doing about 25 to 30mph, the secound I seen the ice I knew we were going down and sure enough BAM !!! it went down on the left side and flipped over to the right side and came to a stop about after 60 or 70ft. all I remember is hitting the ground and tumbling, when I stopped I was amazed there wasen't a scratch on me. I was wareing leather chaps, steel toed boots and a jacket with armor padding, the only sign that I crashed was a hole torn in the toe of one of my boots.
The wife wasen't as lucky, she had a deep gouge (SP?) in the front of her helmet and banged up her leg pretty good but nothing broken.
She will be hobbling around on crutches a few days.
All in all we feel lucky we didn't slide into anouther vehicle and no one else was envolved.
I am guessing it will cost about $5000, to $6000 to repair and take about a month before I get my bike back.
I decided I was going to ride my wifes bike, a 2006 Shadow Areo till she feels up to riding it again, This thing feels like a mini bike compared to the wing, and has no fairing to protect against the wind and cold mornings :(
God I miss my wing, and its only been two days since the accident :shock:
How will I servive till I get the wing back :?: :( :(

Wht Lightning
Hey WL,

Had something similar happen to me last year in Dec., except without the ice over here in LA county. Busted left tibia plateau, busted left wrist, sprained ankle and road rash. Bike slid on its right side, only $2500 in damages. The body tumbling sure sounded familiar. That was a bitch, huh? Glad you're OK... when you get back on it, the Mrs. and I ride Julian fairly frequently, so give us a holler and we'll go get some apple pie, eh?

Heal well meantime 8)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I went down in a similar situation in 1979. I was lucky because I missed a car in the outside lane of the curve by about 30 feet. Since then I became an engineer and learned about a material property called the coefficient of friction. I read on this board all the time about folks out riding when it's below freezing and that's their perogative. But as for me, once bitten, twice shy! I like keeping the ride up on two wheels.

·
Registered
525 Posts
learned about a material property called the coefficient of friction.
That temperature guage is useful for more than just telling you to put on a warmer jacket. This fall I was riding in Utah and got a little behind schedule and found myself east Zion National Park as the sun was setting. It was still in the 40's but I knew that Hwy 14 to Cedar goes up over 10,000' and I was very concerned about riding over this in the dark. While I was mulling this over, a pickup truck heads West at a good clip so I decided to follow the rabbit. I figured if he hit ice I would get a warning. I also kept watching the temperature guage as it continued to drop as I climbed. At the plateau on top it hit 32, but truck kept hauling and so did I. A couple times I wanted to stop and put on a warmer jacket, but then I would lose my rabbit. Fortunately, the truck went all the way to Cedar City, giving me not only an ice tester but his headlights showed me ahead of time where the curves were. It was clear he knew the road too, because I had to really pay attention to keep up with him.

Too bad Honda didn't program this temp sensor to display when the temp nears freezing. My car does.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ice and 2 wheels don't mix - learned that lesson on a bridge on I285 in Atlanta 34 years ago. Not a scratch but seeing all those other cars running around me as I slid across that bridge learnt me a lesson.

They say if you never been down on a motorcycle you will eventually - hope that one was my only time and this one was yours!

·
Registered
323 Posts
After meeting y'all a little bit ago myself and the wife are sorry to hear of this accident but also are extremely glad to hear you will both be/are ok.
I know how fast it can happen. Mine was an oil slick during a rainshower. Hope your wife heals fast and the wing is back on the road PDQ.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
How did you like that Aero? Feel like your butt is draggin on the ground?

I won one last summer and got to sit on it in the show room, before trading it on an 07 Wing. Never rode the Aero.

Don't think I'd like the feet forward position, but I did like the looks of the bike and the seat height.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I am glad to hear that the accident wasn't any worse than that and hope your wife gets better quickly.

Good luck with the repair work.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sorry about that WL.
Very happy all are safe and sound.
(except for the ride of course) :roll:
Thanks for sharing, especially at this time of year,
when many of us can use the reminder about treacherous road conditions
due to weather.
DC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Gold Wings can't ice skate !! ( I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY

[/quote] Hey WL,
Had something similar happen to me last year in Dec., except without the ice over here in LA county. Busted left tibia plateau, busted left wrist, sprained ankle and road rash. Bike slid on its right side, only $2500 in damages. The body tumbling sure sounded familiar. That was a bitch, huh? Glad you're OK... when you get back on it, the Mrs. and I ride Julian fairly frequently, so give us a holler and we'll go get some apple pie, eh?

Heal well meantime 8)[/quote]

That pie sounds like a good idea, maybe we can get several people together for that sometime, I'm sure there are others here who ride the Julian area.
Hopfully it wont take more then a month or so to get my bike back, but we'll see, I miss it already. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts