1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Tuesday I got a cell phone call from an associate. It went sort of like:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: Hello
Caller: Hey Ed. I just need you to answer one question.

Me: OK?
Caller: Does Honda make a Gold Wing with reverse?

Me: All Gold Wings have had reverse as standard equipment for several years now.
Caller: Dang!! <actual response much longer and inappropriate for this list>

Caller hangs up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So the next day I was at that office and asked what that call was all about. Here's the story.

It seems someone had told this associate that Gold Wings have reverse, and he'd said "That's stupid! There's not a motorcycle made that has reverse." When the person insisted it was true the associate said "I'll be you $100 they don't have reverse if you'll accept Ed's word on it."

He insisted that I'd "cost him $100", but I just laughed and asked him "What'd you want me to do? Lie?"

Actually, the fellow that won the bet said he wouldn't even take the money. I would have. Would you?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
"That's stupid! There's not a motorcycle made that has reverse."
Going back into the history of motorcycles, Harley, Indian and BMW have all made bikes with reverse, mostly for use with sidecars.

I'm sure many other brands that have faded into the past, that have made bikes with reverse for sidecar use also.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I could use an extra $100 8)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
A guy in Custer state park in South Dakota took one look at my GPS and said to me " now I seen everything TeleVision on a motor sickel. I told his kid I liked to watch cartoons, and since I have little ones I know all about cartoons.

Tony - Chicagoland 8)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fellow saw the vents on my Voyager one time and thought it was air conditioning.

People's misconceptions about motorcycles can be so funny.

I rode my FJ1200 from Little Rock to Dallas for a conference several years ago, and another fellow there asked if I'd carried it down on the plane :?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'll bet the guy assumes that the reverse is
part of the internal combustion power train
though. He might even think it has to be clutched,
so it is a tie. Be sure to let him know it is an
electrical device. It helps, so I am not knocking
our great machines.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G1NOMAD said:
I'll bet the guy assumes that the reverse is
part of the internal combustion power train
though. He might even think it has to be clutched,
so it is a tie. Be sure to let him know it is an
electrical device. It helps, so I am not knocking
our great machines.
I'm sure you're right, but he didn't want to talk about it when I was there :lol:

Nonetheless, it's a legitimate reverse even if it doesn't act like he may expect.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I dont make bets. My wagering skill / luck is such that I could set up the deal, cheat, pay off people and still lose.

In this case , some one would have been at least been buying me lunch.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Air Condition on Goldwings ???

For cooling; ride 1000 miles North

For heat; ride 1000 miles South

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
my neighbors harley has a reverse. every time the capital city harley truck goes to his house to take his bike in, it backs out of the driveway with it on the flatbed.

loren

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 1942 or 43 Harley trike that had reverse. I bought it for $45 when I was about 17 years old out of an old garage, where it was rotting down after serving years as an ice cream wagon. :lol: It had reverse.
Can anybody go farther back than that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts