GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting the Goldstrike grips and wondering if those of who have installed them noticed any difference with the bar end weights removed. If so, was it a deal breaker or not?
Also, has anyone tried to drill out the end of the grips and reinstalling the end weights?
Looking for advice on this. Not interested in Grip Puppies. Had them before and not fun riding in the rain with them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the same reservations as you, i would like to know if anyone has drilled them out and reinstalled the factory bar weights. If possible, I would be interested in trying them. I am leary of getting them and not being able to add the bar weights.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Looking at getting the Goldstrike grips and wondering if those of who have installed them noticed any difference with the bar end weights removed. If so, was it a deal breaker or not?
Also, has anyone tried to drill out the end of the grips and reinstalling the end weights?
Looking for advice on this. Not interested in Grip Puppies. Had them before and not fun riding in the rain with them.
[/QUOTE
I havnt installed the Gold Strike grips but I did remove the OEM bar end weights and installed the Lid Locks bar ends. I experenced more vibration in the handlebars at higher speeds after removing the OEM bar end weights.

I really wanted to like the Lid Locks but I just didnt like the extra vibration in the handlebars..the Lid Locks are just too light to damp out all the vibration in the handlebars..they need to be made more like the OEM bar weights in terms of mass and the slot that is cut in them for hanging the helmet doesnt need to be cut 2/3's around the bar end like they are...that big cut in the bar end really cuts down damping affect with the Lid Lock bar end.....so I have a set of Lid Locks just sitting in my tool box now.

I saw a post here from a member that found aftermarket bar end dampers...they are longer and have more mass than the OEM bar end dampers..so I bought them to try them out. The bike is now silky smooth at higher speeds....feels as smooth as my 2003 felt.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have them and I haven't noticed any additional vibration. I do like the extra girth of the grip and they were easy to install. There is some heat loss for the heated grips but not enough to be deal breaker for me.

I like you have considered drilling the end and re-installing the weights. Fortunately the weight will fit perfectly if the end is drilled out and I don't think it would look terrible. I think the proper size paddle drill bit will work .

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I havnt installed the Gold Strike grips but I did remove the OEM bar end weights and installed the Lid Locks bar ends. I experenced more vibration in the handlebars at higher speeds after removing the OEM bar end weights.

I really wanted to like the Lid Locks but I just didnt like the extra vibration in the handlebars..the Lid Locks are just too light to damp out all the vibration in the handlebars..they need to be made more like the OEM bar weights in terms of mass and the slot that is cut in them for hanging the helmet doesnt need to be cut 2/3's around the bar end like they are...that big cut in the bar end really cuts down damping affect with the Lid Lock bar end.....so I have a set of Lid Locks just sitting in my tool box now.

I saw a post here from a member that found aftermarket bar end dampers...they are longer and have more mass than the OEM bar end dampers..so I bought them to try them out. The bike is now silky smooth at higher speeds....feels as smooth as my 2003 felt.
Do you possibly have a photo with the grips and new weights? Tku

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could just cut the thinner part of the bar ends off leaving just the main cube clean it up maybe bevel the edge a little and paint and run a longer bolt right into the end cap a little locktite and ride I was considering doing just that with the ISO grips I just put on but have not had a vibration issue the weight of the grip over the grip adds some weight as well if feel it would be beneficial I might do it but that makes a pretty long grip system.

·
Registered
6,547 Posts
Do you possibly have a photo with the grips and new weights? Tku
Sorry it took me a day or so to get a picture....you can see that the bar end damper is longer with a bit more weight/mass than the OEM bar end to damp out whatever vibration makes it to the handlbars...mostly noticeable at higher speeds.I feel that the bike is a bit smoother at highway speeds ...definitely smoother at highways speeds than when I had the Lid Lock bar ends installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sorry it took me a day or so to get a picture....you can see that the bar end damper is longer with a bit more weight/mass than the OEM bar end to damp out whatever vibration makes it to the handlbars...mostly noticeable at higher speeds.I feel that the bike is a bit smoother at highway speeds ...definitely smoother at highways speeds than when I had the Lid Lock bar ends installed.
Thank you for the reply. Can you list the source? I appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts