GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have opted for the Goldstrike highway pegs, do you notice that they tend to flex a bit? Not a lot, but enough to be noticible.

In looking at them, it seems it happens because of the long lever arm that ends up being created from the point where they tie to the frame all the way out to the pegs themselves.

Is anyone concerned about the flex? I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with them flexing as I ride. I keep having nightmares as to what happens if my foot slips off one as it flexes.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Mine move ever so slightly if I'm really pushing on them hard, but never to the point where I thought they were going to break, or break anything themselves. I certainly wouldn't make a habit of using them to push yourself back in the seat, though.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
some of the better pegs flex by design (Goldstrike, Rivco), this is actually good since you want them to break off in case of an accident. They are foot rest and not designed to stand on with all your weight

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...They are foot rest and not designed to stand on with all your weight
I don't stand on them nor push myself back into the seat. Still, just resting my feet on them with the bumps in the road seems to cause them to flex.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've noticed a slight flex in my set. I do push myself back into my seat even when my feet are resting on the highway pegs. Doesn't seem to bother them in the least. I haven't tried standing up on them, but that would be difficult to do given the position. I have scraped the right peg floorboard at the very end during a particularly aggressive right hand curve. I lost chrome, not control. The floorboard sort of folded up like when stored, or tried to but didn't as my foot was still on it. All I had to do was back off on the lean.

As for the flex, I tend to think that might be more of the tip over bar frame and the mounting bracket interaction than anything to do with the peg arms. I've got close to 15k miles on my set and find nothing to really complain about. Now that seat, there I can find complaint... YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts