GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Installed the Goldstrike trunk light today. I must admit, looking at the instructions, they seemed a little daunting. It took me 3.5 hours, however as long as you're patient, it's not too bad.
The light looks factory, works perfectly and IMO is a significant safety improvement.
The only suggestion I have would be the addition of an installation video. The two page instructions include pictures that are a little difficult to understand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
It looks very nice. I'm thinking about adding that to my bike too. Would you mind taking a few pictures outside in the daylight.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
That is nice, should have came from the factory like that!
You can bet Honda will do something similar in the future models and probably will add a few inches of plastic to the trunk and saddlebags at the sametime to get the current owners to trade up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I Installed the Goldstrike trunk light today. I must admit, looking at the instructions, they seemed a little daunting. It took me 3.5 hours, however as long as you're patient, it's not too bad.
The light looks factory, works perfectly and IMO is a significant safety improvement.
The only suggestion I have would be the addition of an installation video. The two page instructions include pictures that are a little difficult to understand.
they looks amazing, great work

can we get more of feedback and instructions. Also about the wiring, was it hooked directly or through fuse box

lighting and electrical wiring always freaks me out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
they looks amazing, great work

can we get more of feedback and instructions. Also about the wiring, was it hooked directly or through fuse box

lighting and electrical wiring always freaks me out
The instructions have fairly good text, but there were a few pictures that slowed me down trying to figure out what they were referring to. A "Cruiseman like" video would definitley help plus I bet a lot more guys would be more inclined to purchase it.
The electrical was actually the easiest part. You have to purchase a Goldstrike wiring hareness separately. There's a left and a right harness that integrates to the existing GW harness. Really plug and play. The Goldstrile harness supports up to 4 of their lighting accessories. I only used one with the LED trunk light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Beautiful. Im debating the luggage rack. I guess this could take the place of the factory light. I understand both can be added, just concerned about them drowning each other out.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
Unfortunatley it's snowing out so I did the next best thing and shot a video. One of the nicest accessories IMO.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/trHA7UMiu6iefxeq6
I just wanted to see what the chrome trim looks like on the bike out in the daylight.From your picture the light does look like it fits the trunk like OEM and the light pattern is very nice. I'm going to add a trunk light but I'm holding off til I see the black trim that Goldstrike says they are coming out with this spring. I also think the trunk lights that Big Bike is coming out with look very nice on the 2018...thanks for the pictures

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I just wanted to see what the chrome trim looks like on the bike out in the daylight.From your picture the light does look like it fits the trunk like OEM and the light pattern is very nice. I'm going to add a trunk light but I'm holding off til I see the black trim that Goldstrike says they are coming out with this spring. I also think the trunk lights that Big Bike is coming out with look very nice on the 2018...thanks for the pictures

One thing I dislike about the Show Chrome is the wiring. Goldstrike has that part right.:smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
One thing I dislike about the Show Chrome is the wiring. Goldstrike has that part right.:smile2:
What is it about the wiring that you don't like. I have only seen pictures of the Show Chrome trunk lights and havn't seen anything else. I'm thinking I can tie-in the wiring into the Bushtec trailer relay wiring for the lights.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
Yea I would rather have plug and play too..but..I wonder if the reason Show Chrome did the wiring without a connector was so a very small hole could be used to pass the wiring through the plastic trunk lid whereas a plug on the wire would require a 1/2 inch hole to pass the connector through...plus the Show Chrome recommends to use their wiring relay box and it has terminals to attach the wires too.

I would be spicing into the wiring of the Bushtec trailer relay anyways so plug and play isn't really important if I went with the Show Chrome...anyways both trunk lights look pretty good on the 2018 and I like both designs.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Yea I would rather have plug and play too..but..I wonder if the reason Show Chrome did the wiring without a connector was so a very small hole could be used to pass the wiring through the plastic trunk lid whereas a plug on the wire would require a 1/2 inch hole to pass the connector through...plus the Show Chrome recommends to use their wiring relay box and it has terminals to attach the wires too.

I would be spicing into the wiring of the Bushtec trailer relay anyways so plug and play isn't really important if I went with the Show Chrome...anyways both trunk lights look pretty good on the 2018 and I like both designs.

Those would work great for the trailer connector.:smile2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
this piece looks really nice for sure
but I have mounted Honda trunk rack and brake light. Also i modulated the light so it performs as a running light also.
if now i buy and install goldstrike trunk light would it look be silly under the honda brake light. That will fit i know but how will it look like not sure ?

·
Registered
51 Posts

i am honestly confused of what to get, i want to install the Chrome trunk rack in near future but i am confused to which lights i Should get.

1- Honda OEM trunk lights
2- Goldstrike
3- Show Chrome lights

also i always prefer plug and play as i am not that master in electrical wiring and stuff.

Goldstrike looks amazing but show Chrome lights have competitive prices. I honestly think my least favorite would be the OEM Honda lights

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can bet Honda will do something similar in the future models and probably will add a few inches of plastic to the trunk and saddlebags at the sametime to get the current owners to trade up.
I read somewhere where it was mentioned that Honda could make a Trunk Lid that fit this bike but say 2-4" higher. I thought it was a good idea. Or an aftermarket company if they made a quality product would generate interest perhaps.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I read somewhere where it was mentioned that Honda could make a Trunk Lid that fit this bike but say 2-4" higher. I thought it was a good idea. Or an aftermarket company if they made a quality product would generate interest perhaps.

Yes with a built in trunk light.:smile2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts