GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone out there that there 1 st motorcycle was a goldwing? and have only owned goldwings?
my frist bike was a honda 50 . and i have worked my way up the ladder to a gl1800. i have compared it to other bikes . and to to me it is the best so far. i have talked to one person who almost did it/ he bought a valk. rode it for one year . traded it in on a goldwing. the frist and all the rest were goldwings.
is there anyone out there that is the ultimate gw rider *1

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I started riding before Honda produced the Goldwing so my first bike was a Triumph 650 Bonneville. From that I went to a 1975 GL1000 Goldwing. It had a straight seat, no windshield, no fairing, no bags and no trunk. It was just a motorcycle but the biggest bike around at the time. It was actually 999cc's. Ever since then I've had Goldwings and I've owned at least one of every model through the years.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My first bike - 2004 Titanium. After the first year of riding it I posted this:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=34449

It's now been about 2 years, 2 months. Just approaching 26,000 incredible smile filled miles. I love this machine!

Getting ready for a major winter maintenence project... as soon as the snow forces me to. Here's what's planned so far.

1. Remove and replace windshield tape with teflon tape
2. Remove gas tank and tighten all coolant hoses
3. Top off rear pre-load adjuster
4. Adjust cruise control.
5. Replace air filter
6. Install All Balls steering bearings
7. Install Progressive front fork springs
8. Replace fork seals, bushings, and oil
9. Rebuild Anti-dive unit
10.Replace brake fluid

8)

·
Registered
152 Posts
1st ride

I started riding at 65 years. My 1st bike was a 1990 goldwing. I took my time, MSF, ERCs, etc and practice a lot. I sold that & bought a used '03 GL1800 in late '03!
My only problem is that the flat six is my idea of a motorcycle and no V twins feel right!
Oh yes, I'll be 72 in February.
Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
When I was in my early teens I rode my dad's Kawasaki 175 in dirt for a couple years. But I didn't ride at all until 3 years age when I was 37 and bought my first Gold Wing - a 1985 GL1200. So the first motorcycle in my name was a Wing.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Re: 1st ride

The Big Guy said:
I started riding at 65 years. My 1st bike was a 1990 goldwing. I took my time, MSF, ERCs, etc and practice a lot. I sold that & bought a used '03 GL1800 in late '03!
My only problem is that the flat six is my idea of a motorcycle and no V twins feel right!
Oh yes, I'll be 72 in February.
Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike good for you. I turned 50 today and hope I am alive and riding at 72. God bless you.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Nope
1st bike, Honda 305 Scrambler, 1967, I was so cool 8) :wink: :wink: :wink:

Have owned way too many bike, 20 Harley's alone, easier to say what I haven't owned :shock:
No Triumph, want one
No Ducati, want a Monster ( cool ride)
No Ossa, rode one a a few time ( Ossa Plunker, **** Andrews rep)
No Pentons, Hodakas,Jawa, and a few other small brands, no Indian's either...not yet anyway :lol: :lol:

They're all cool, knees in the breeze, that's all that matters.....

Some I wish I'd have kept...
1957 HD Pan
Kawaski ZR-1
1988 HD FXLR
Suzuki TM400 MX
Wished I'd have bought the Ossa when I had the chance.... :(

So many cool rides, so little time and the wife won't let me have them all, don't understand her sometimes :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Yep , my first bike was a Honda 50...... rode the snot out of it in the desert.

Got a Cushman scoot at age 14.

W

·
0 Posts
I started riding at 61 yrs old.
Never own or rode any kind of cycle until then.
Hung around Hal's GL1800riders.com site over the winter.
Took a weeks vacation in spring, attended the MSF classes.
Always wanted a Goldwing.
Bought my Goldwing new one day after school in May of '03, and having the time of my life.
And the smiles never stopped since putting on 28,000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my first bike was a 1999 kawasaki vulcan nomad 1500 good begginner bike but i outgrew it quickly....bought my first wing 6 months ago at 22 years old.....i was crowned rick case honda's youngest goldwing purchaser to date i still hold the record.....i love it wouldnt trade it for anything in the world.....i do however get strange looks from other goldwingers........

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, I had a 1957 Vespa 125cc scooter during my high school years, then went 23 years without a bike. After moving to Asheville in 1984, decided I really "needed" a motorcycle to enjoy all the great mountain roads. Bought a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade --- my first motorcycle -- actually the first motorcycle I ever rode. Had it for 12 years and really enjoyed it year-round. Then had several years without a motorcycle, until I got the urge again and the wife said if I really wanted another motorcycle, we should get another Goldwing. Needless to say, I didn't give her an argument, so we jumped in the car and went straight to the Honda dealer and bought a new '04 Goldwing.

First trip took us as far north as Ohio, second trip took us west out to Colorado, and the fun continues.

Sheldon
'04 Titanium GL1800

·
Registered
48 Posts
The last motorcycle I bought was in 1981. I felt like it was my first time when I bought my Goldwing, in June, after a 25 year absence.

·
Registered
812 Posts
First Bike

My first was a '63 Triumph Tiger Cub that the music teacher in our high school had won on a game show. She had been through a number of hands by the time I got her and qualified for an oil depletion allowance. :lol:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Goldwing 1st bike.

My first bike ever was a Pearl white '94 SE that I had for 4 years.
My present bike is a white 2006 1800 Gold wing.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
is there anyone out there that there 1 st motorcycle was a goldwing? and have only owned goldwings?
Yep. Guilty as charged. My first bike was a Goldwing. In 1985, I got myself a 1976 GL1000. My next was an '81 GL1100. Got spooked and sold it. A year later, I couldn't stand it anymore, and bought an '82 GL1100. Rode that for a decade - it was totaled when I was rearended on the way to work. It took me two years to get my next bike, a 2003 GL1800A.

·
Registered
76 Posts
First bike that I ever owned is my 2005 Gl 1800 Wing! Always rode someone else's bike! After almost twenty five years of not riding I purchased my 05 wing in April. In June the wife and I took a rider training course. Most of my skills have gotten better with each and every ride! I love this bike even with its wobbles :!: :D

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
My first bike when I was 8....Honda S50...then S90....them Yamaha.100 Twin....darn then a bunch of bikes...like Dream 305 then CB 450 then CB 350 then OMG....Bultaco...then CB 750...to long to list...sorry folks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I started 5 years ago with an 84 Goldwing.
Never was even a passenger on a bike before.
Felt I needed presence on the road and nothing was more visible then a Goldwing.
After ~30K more miles and several long distance trips, sold it to a guy who uses it for a daily commute.
Had over 140K miles when sold but it was running perfect!!

Now I'm on an 02 which feels much more sporty then my old one but I have nothing but good words.
Needless to say that my next one will be a Goldwing too.
I'll just wait until Mother Honda decides to improve it a bit....

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
In September, 2001 I bought my first motorcycle, an '84 Aspencade with 10k on it. Took the MSF class after owning the M/C for 6 months (classes full), hopped on and have never looked back. I had never owned or driven a motorcycle (I had been a passenger on my son-in-law's m/c's. I like this so much that I then bought a '95 1500SE which I rode for 50k miles before it was totalled in October, 2005 when a truck pulled out in front of me (I was uninjured) on the end of a 6k mile trip. I replaced that Wing with my '03 which I've put 18k on since I purchased it. Along the way I also acquired an '01 ST1100 and an '03 BMW F650GSA. Needlesstosay, I'm a motorcycleholic. This is the greatest hobby or personal interest I have ever engaged in.

Tim in Burien

1 - 20 of 20 Posts