GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 2006 Goldwing 1800 with apx 45,000 miles on it.

Today we went on 200 mile ride. Towards the end of the ride the bike started missing very badly while driving on the highway. He noticed that his MPG has dropped off as well on the trip.
The bike was running on Premium gasoline that contains up to 10% Ethanol.
After getting back to town my friend filled up with premium gasoline and the bike died within a few blocks of his house.
It restarted but is not running the usual 600-800 RPM consistently but at times runs 300-400 RPM.
The alternator is putting out 14.3 volts consistently and the battery is charged and showing 12.6 volts.
Has anyone faced this problem before?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lee Ivanhoe

Midland, Tex

·
Registered
994 Posts
Tell your friend to pull the spark plugs and check them for fouling. No need to run premium fuel in the GL 1800. When is the last time he replace the air filter?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
goldwing

Seems like I read somewhere on this forum that premium fuel could cause fouling of the plugs. Doesn't seem logical, but who knows.
It's a waste of money to run premium. The bike is designed to use regular.

I would change the plugs just to eliminate that as the source of the problem.

Check the air filter also if it hasn't been done recently.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an '06 as well and had a spell like you describe 3 years ago. A friend told me about someone else with the same issue (also on an '06) that they traced to a loose crimp connector on a wire in a bundle running beneath the shelter on the left side above the knee vent. I tried finding that connector but never did. I did find however that I could cause the idle to fluctuate a bit when I was tugging on the wires in that bundle. At the same time I changed the air filter. Either the air filter change did the trick for me, or tugging on the wires caused a better connection in that crimp connector. I can't say which, but my issue went away and has never been back.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
Check the kill switch ( tap on it see if does anything ) above stated on his 06 was wiring ck with techdude mite be ground issue ?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Check for spark. It could be plugs, plug wires, or a bad coil. I think the most common suspect is a coil . They won't throw a code until the bike almost won't run. Good luck.

Richard

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou everyone for the great advice.
Will let you know what it was when we get it figured out.

Lee

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With only 45K on the bike, he does not think the alternator or coil has been replaced. He is the second owner of the bike.
Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thankyou GoldwingrGreg

To see if any are stored, does this take a special device or meter, etc?
Was wondering how he would go about doing that.

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks To all who responded. My friend did have his battery tested and it tested bad. He has ordered a new battery. Will see if that fixes his issue.
Thanks
Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts