GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took the trike for service. Mechanic tightened the triple tree, so he had the radio/dash area off. I have no low beam headlights, and all fuses appear to be alright. Have changed them. I have high beam, just no low beam. Is there a plug-in under the dash for the low beams? Any suggestions.......

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Do they come on when you turn the key on, and then not on after you start the Trike......:shrug:

If so a common issue with the start button on the right bar; flick it back toward you, and the lights will come on. It is a sticky switch, and no biggy to care for. Clean it with electronic spray cleaner, and should be good for a while. Some times just working the start switch back and forth with the ignition off will cure it (sort of) clear what tiny spec is keeping it from going all the way back out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I did chech this just now and it doesn't make any difference. It is like the fuse is blown. Never comes on. Rode home clear from San Jose CA. this way. Did not notice before that they were out. I am just not able to get hold of the man who does my work. (He is dependable) I'm sure as soon as I can get hold of him it will be resolved. Was just hoping maybe it was something super simple......

·
Registered
654 Posts
can you look past the triple tree from the dash area with a flashlight and see the plugs on the back of the low beams? Not sure why he would have disconnected them but if he did maybe he forgot to reconnect them, small hands helps if they are not connected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They APPEAR to be connected... Each has a white wire and a green wire. Is there anything under the seat that may be causing a problem?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
From the Service Manual:

• Check for open circuit in the Green (ground) wire for each part.
LIGHTING SYSTEM
• The headlights go off when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for starting.
• The low beam headlights remain on when the starter/reverse switch is pushed for reverse running.
Low beam headlights do not light with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty bulbs
• Faulty HEADLIGHT LO relay (page 20-16)
• Faulty starter/reverse switch (page 20-35)
• Faulty diode (D21)
• Blown No. 9 fuse or No. 26 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
• Loose or poor contact of related connectors
• Open circuit in related wires
Low beam headlights go off during reverse running
• Open circuit in the Blue wire between the headlight LO relay and reverse regulator assembly
• Faulty diode (D8 ) (page 19-28 )
• Open circuit in the White/blue wire between the reverse position switch and reverse regulator assembly
Both high beam headlights do not light with the dimmer switch pushed to “ ”
• Faulty dimmer switch (page 20-36)
• Open circuit in the Blue/white wire between the starter/reverse switch and dimmer switch
Left high beam headlight does not light with the dimmer switch pushed to “ ”
• Faulty bulb
• Open circuit in the Blue wire between the left headlight and dimmer switch
Right high beam headlight does not light with the dimmer switch pushed to “ ”
• Faulty bulb
• Faulty HEADLIGHT HI relay (page 20-16)
• Blown No. 24 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
Taillights and meter lights do not light with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty TAIL relay (page 20-16)
• Blown No. 5 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)
Brake lights do not come on when the brake is applied with the ignition switch turned to “ON”
• Faulty brake light switch (page 20-37)
• Faulty STOP LIGHT relay (page 20-16)
• Faulty HORN TURN relay (page 20-16)
• Blown No. 18 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown again.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all your help. Will check these out and let you know. Everything is working correctly except the low beam lights. Will check under the seat......

Have a flash-to-pass garage door opener on the high beam that may be causing something. I'll check it out tomorrow......

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was on a ride a couple of days ago and both low beams quit at the same time. Checked all fuses and then the bulbs. They were both burned out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, fellas!!

I checked the bulbs; good
Fuses ALL good, except my 2006 does not have a #9 fuse installed.
I switched the hi and lo relays; no difference
sprayed the starter/reverse switch: no difference.
Checked all visible wiring: no breaks

Guess next week i I'll have to take it to the "man".
Hate to do that. They are not gentle with their prices when they look at my trike!!

Anyway, thank you for your help. I really do appreciate it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
742 Posts

Here is the "Lighting System" wiring diagram from my '06 service manual. Power is sent via fuse #27 to the "Headlight LO Relay" If that relay is activating (needs 12 volts from Reverse Regulator Assembly) then power is sent to both low beam lights via the white with black tracer wire through connector 22P Bu (Blue)

Here is the Low Beam Headlight trouble shooting guide from my manual. Don't know what year manual George got his info from but there seems to be a difference. Fuses are a big difference....

I'd use one of those troubleshooting lights with the sharp point and chase some 12 volts around. You might at least narrow it down if not fix the problem.

Low beam headlights do not light with the ignition switch turned to ON
• Faulty bulbs
• Faulty HEADLIGHT LO relay

• Faulty starter/reverse switch
(page 15-29)
• Faulty reverse regulator assembly (diode D21) (

page 20-27 of Service Manual)
• Blown No. 14 fuse or No. 27 fuse (Check for a short circuit in the related wires if the fuse is blown
again.)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Don't know if this is the same, but ran into a problem on a neighbors trike once with the headlights. We finally just by-passed the reverse switch dealing with the headlight cutout. His was a 2003 model and we just made and installed a jumper wire at the wiring harness plugs just forward of the R/H glove box. Again may not be the same but just another drop of fuel for thought!

Regards,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is fuse 27? There is also no fuse in this position on my trike

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, I'm baffled..... I know HONDA has switched up the fuse locations from year to year because I have a friend with an '08 that differs from my '06. The trouble shooting guide George has is still different. GO FIGURE. I guess you need to get out your owner's manual and look at the fuse layout in that book. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I expect the basic wiring diagram is right but wouldn't bet on wire colors. You should have 12 volts to the lo headlamp relay and 12 volts to the coil of that relay when the swithch is on. That second voltage is removed when the start button is removed....

Time to do some spark chasing.... :joke:

·
Mad UK Winger
356 Posts
if there are fuse connectors with no fuse in fit a 3 amp see what happens, if something works then fit whatever it needs 3,5,10,15 etc

and i think 27 on my 06 may be lighting i'll have a look in the morning

if your headlights start working i think they are a 10 amp ?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
What is fuse 27? There is also no fuse in this position on my trike
On the inside of the fuse cover there is a placement diagram of what and how big the fuses should be.

Biggest question is Do you have a Service Manual. :shrug:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Service manual is on the way. Ordered it a couple of weeks ago.
According to the diagram on the fuse box cover, every fuse is there. Lots of empty slots, but nothing denoting anything should be there.
Should have the manual soon.....

Again, thanks a lot....!!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
You should just get a hold of the guy that did the service and get it back to him. If you go messin around with anything that you are not sure of, then they can say, sorry, it wasn't me.

Are you sure it's not the start switch?

I just reread your first post. Did you have it serviced in San Jose, CA, then ride home to Missouri? Never mind about getting it back to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did have it serviced before I went to CA. My service guy is here in MO. The switch was the first thing he thought when I talked on the phone. I have received excellent suggestions from the fellas on this board, and have tried every one of the ideas. The diode is the only thing I have not looked at, mostly because I don't know what or where it is. Will wait for the manual and then procede again. I'm sure it is something I am overlooking.

Well, I'm riding tomorrow, lights or no lights! :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
trouttrooper

Thanks for the info how to change low beam bulb. Thought I was going to get into something regretabe but was pleased to see your suggestions worked ot just fine . Many thanks ---T/T

1 - 20 of 24 Posts