GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Thanks

Thanks for the video! I'm not much of a do-it-yourselfer, but even I could handle this now, with your help. Please continue to make videos!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Very good video. Only thing you forgot is the BIG hammer to drive the pocket back in when you have an HID ballast in there along with a Kennedy CellSet wiring!!!Oh by the way....cute kneecaps you have there!!!
Mike

·
Registered
391 Posts
Installed our outlet last night and it took longer to drink the post installation beer than it did for the actual job. Thanks for taking the time to do this video since no matter how simple a job may appear, it's always nice to see it done once beforehand.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i just watched this video again and tried to install in my 2012 wing. before i drilled a hole, i first looked for the electric plugs shown in the video. they're not there. then looked mat the socket the dealer sold me and it it plainly states "fits '01". then iwatched the film agin and it's for a 2010. seems there's no support for a 12 yet!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
i just watched this video again and tried to install in my 2012 wing. before i drilled a hole, i first looked for the electric plugs shown in the video. they're not there. then looked mat the socket the dealer sold me and it it plainly states "fits '01". then iwatched the film agin and it's for a 2010. seems there's no support for a 12 yet!
It fits. Honda did not change the 12V switched connection or the AUX input connection on the '12. You just need to look closer under the left fairing pocket, forward of the pocket. It's in a clear rubber boot. The 12V is red and the AUX is white, I believe. It's been a couple of months since I looked in there on the '12.

·
Registered
863 Posts
thanks bartman, you're right. after calling the parts dept, it was breeze. what is the aux plug used for?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
thanks bartman, you're right. after calling the parts dept, it was breeze. what is the aux plug used for?
It's an auxiliary audio input to the bikes audio system, that can be used for iPod, GPS voice prompts, radar detector, etc. You'll have to get the cable that plugs into the white connector under the left fairing pocket.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I use a spade bit like these to drill large holes in the plastic (Pilot hole first). Seems to make a nice clean hole as compared the the saw tooth hole cutters. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just did the power port this morning with my morning coffee. It took all of 15 minutes. The video was a great help. I used a 1 1/8 spade bit and it was a perfect fit. Cleaned cut with my fingers and it snapped into place. Now I want the USB plug that electrical connections makes. It's a new part and has no part number yet. Then I can have the best of both worlds. Great video.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the video, just did my plug and the aux at the same time. On the accessory plug did you try to get the in line fuse or whatever it is inside the plastic cover with the connections?

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I noticed that the wing didn't have the button for the fog/driving lights installed, does this power port use the same connection for the lights or is this a separate connection?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I also installed a power outlet when I first got my bike. Being new to the GW I did not realize that I also had changed the sound. The alternator started making a very loud whine but I did not realize that it was when I plugged my iPod into the power outlet until just this last week. I thought my alternator was failing. Even had the mechanic check it out. Everything was normal but every now and then the whine would return (when I plugged my iPod in). Yesterday I installed a noise filter (CSS-12-High Power Noise Filter $29.). It seems to be working.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Oh, and I meant to add - GR8 How To Video!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The one thing I learned from that vid was how to release those plastic pins! Dang! Installing the power outlet was a "no-brainer" for me but it goes to show that just watching someone else do something a guy can still pick up a tip or two.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
power plug

O great, now I have another project for the list:excited:.......... Thanks for the video, good job:thumbup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is a fantastic video!

The only thing I would do different next time is to drill a 1 1/8" hole instead of 1 1/4".

Thanks for putting this video together.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts