GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm new and don't know much of the characteristics of the wing yet.....................but learning.
(I learn so much from this site it ain't funny)
Riding one/two up makes no difference. When on center, the bike is smooth and quiet, but lean into a curve or go around a corner and you get a growl out of the bike/engine??? I have been told a couple of things from my local Chapter that I really don't or can't buy. What is making the bike "growl" when you are off center? A little anoying, but livable, as long as there is nothing wrong.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain.
No clue in Kansas
Msgt

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,188 Posts
Probably your tires. Mine have 10,000 miles on them and they make a roar when leaning but are quiet straight up. Most bike tires will do this when the center of the tire has substantial wear and the edge of the tread is still thick.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Absolutely the tires. They will start when they are half wore. Maybe sooner if you run the interstate a lot. I don't remember this happening on the older bias tires but with these radials it is common. It will get louder as they wear down.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Tires are cupped, growling. Probably DUNFLOPS. They cup quick and only get worse as time and miles go on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i run E3's and after they start cupping (they all do)they produce a growl when you are off center. it's not bad, but it's there.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My Dunlop E3's started getting noisy in turns at about 10,000 miles. Other than that, they are wearing and performing fine. They're at 14,000 now.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Cupping of tires causes them to growl when leaned over in a turn but they can remain relatively quiet when riding on the center part of the tire. If you get a set of new tires, the growl should disappear until the tires start to cup. The more they cup, the louder the growl.

As to keeping the tires from growling, that is a highly debated topic on this board. My opinion, it is a combination of:

A. What brand/model tire you are using.
B. What pressure you use in your tires. Too low = greater comfort but more cupping.
C. How well you keep your tire pressure at your desired range. +/- 2 psi is my tolerance.
D. How much you scrub away your tire side tread. More scrubbing = less cupping.
E. Whether you keep your steering head bearings properly torqued.
F. Keeping your front forks properly maintained by cleaning them and replacing the fork oil at least every two years. Yearly would be better, but I am too lazy to put out that extra effort.

Most on this board recommend keeping the tire pressure between 40-42 psi, and I agree. Many others swear by using "All Balls" after market brand replacement steering head bearings. I have always left the Honda bearing in there and have not had a problem as long as the steering head bearings were properly torqued.

I have had great results (minimal growling, even with well worn tires) by using Avon Venom-R tires, 42 psi in the front, 41 psi in the rear, and factory steering head bearings torqued to factory specifications. Your results may vary. Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yep, it is the tires. When you put a new front and rear on the bike you (just replacing one will not eliminate the growl) will notice that the growl is gone.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You will also notice a vibration from the pegs when you are leaning. It actually feels like wheel bearings, but I know it's the tires. Cupping is the problem, Looking forward to a new set soon.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just adding myself to the list of "growlers". My 2007 still has the original D250's with 12500 miles on them. They were pretty badly cupped at 8500 when I bought the bike and has been growling in the turns since day-one. Getting ready to put a set of E3's on this week. I can't wait to see how she handles and sounds with a new set of shoes...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Just adding myself to the list of "growlers". My 2007 still has the original D250's with 12500 miles on them. They were pretty badly cupped at 8500 when I bought the bike and has been growling in the turns since day-one. Getting ready to put a set of E3's on this week. I can't wait to see how she handles and sounds with a new set of shoes...

I'm in line to get at least 12500 on these D250s also, I've already got a set of e3s to go on next.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the sam experience, switched to Bridgestones front and rear and the noise was eliminated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts