GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
For some belonging to an organized club like GWRRA and riding around to Dairy Queens with a bunch of old "Dudlies" , going to meetings, going on week long trips with other members of your chapter, organizing rides for charity and the like is somehow not being true motorcyclist. While I understand and respect any other persons motives for riding, this story said it all and speaks for itself...

Friends For Safety, fun and knowledge....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True motorcyclist, and here's me thinking that anyone who rode bikes was a motorcyclist! What's that got to do with having an accident? Anyone can have an accident regardless of their level of experience, type of riding or the kind of club they travel with. I personally don't care what sort of rider the storyteller is, the pictures of the crashed bike sobered me up very quickly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was just referring to the GWRRA aspects of the story and it has nothing to do with having an accident. It has alot to do with some other posts in other areas of this board. As I have said in other posts the one thing we all have in common is that we are all motorcyclists and we all love to ride. I just happen to be a very strong proponent of GWRRA and was reacting to the last line of his story which said " without the Gold Wing Riders Club of New Zealand, things would have been so much different, and so much harder for us to cope with" Stir...Stir...Stir :chat:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Big Al....
Quite a story...Thanks so much and most of all Glad the rider is ok....at least nothing permanet....Glad the fellow wingers were there to help....
Gods Speed on his recovery....

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not familair with the lingo, but I presume that "a bit more countersteer, button off just a bit to get more front- end grip, where’s the side of the road… come round…?" meant that he rolled off the throttle in an effort to get more front "grip" in a curve. Whenever I see or hear of a n M/C accident, I like to know the cause or contributing factors. It serves to reinforce the lessons that are most important. Too much speed appears applicable here but rolling off the throttle in a curve is, as I have been taught, not the thing to do. I have been repeatedly amazed at what the wing will do in a curve - if you press the handlebars and roll on the throttle. I'm glad the rider was OK...and I hope we can all learn from his misfortune.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been in touch with Alan De La Mare to see if he can add to the story, I've had over 150 people e-mailing me about how the accident happened and it would be nice if I could update the story soon. I will post a message here if I get a response.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sounds like he was too hot and heavy in a curve and ran off the side of the road and hit the rail road tracks. At least that's what the pics look like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts