GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general impression, and my opinion matters not, but since I got my 06 Wing last April, I have noticed that the stereotype of the Goldwing rider is bearing out true. Namely, fat, over 55, opinionated, and riding to something that involves more eating or some bumpkin folksy activity...and too often towing some retarded trailer along.

How many 30-40 year olds are out there with a hot wife to throw on the back and play some rock as you roll down the road?

I'm in the 40's crowd.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
dangerdave said:
Just a general impression, and my opinion matters not, but since I got my 06 Wing last April, I have noticed that the stereotype of the Goldwing rider is bearing out true. Namely, fat, over 55, opinionated, and riding to something that involves more eating or some bumpkin folksy activity...and too often towing some retarded trailer along.

How many 30-40 year olds are out there with a hot wife to throw on the back and play some rock as you roll down the road?

I'm in the 40's crowd.

HEY!!! I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK......

YOU SHOULD TRY THIS LINK!!!!!

http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/win-friends.html

Matt(Ashland,MA) :a13:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Well, I'm 40 and fat - and I haul a retarded trailer when I go to bumpkin rallies.

But I do listen to rock and roll as I roll down the road.

You might not fit in all those stereotypes but at least your opinionated. :roll:

·
Tattooed Freak
510 Posts
hi dave
first let me say i'm 32 and have a wife that like to ride.
and yes i play mostly heavy metal. so i'm with you

on the other part of your post i don't agree with.
because i'm 6'1" and on the north side of 290.

and i forgot i do have a trailer and like meeting them old wing
riders. beause they my friend have a lot of good stories to tell

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
My wife was hot back when we were 32 and got our fist wing. Lots of hard partying. Now we are over 55, fat, and a whole lot smarter than you. But not opinionated. :) It's just that old guys really do know everything. :)

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Okay, I'll bite :roll:

Your generalizing about "Goldwing Owners" demographics probably aren't too far off. However, there is another group you apparently aren't aware off.

That group could be called "Goldwing Riders". While the median age is still over 40, that's where the comparisons end.

These guys ride 20 to 40K a year, consider a good day of riding 300-600 miles in the mountains or countryside, 1000 miles on the super slab, take great pleasure is passing v-twins and some less skilled squids, are constantly replacing pegs because they've been ground off in turns and have upgraded their speakers and added satellite radio so they can jam going down the road.

Their wives and/or girlfriends don't always ride with them, but enjoy it when they do.

Yeah, we're opinionated because we know who we are and what we like and don't like. By the way, for every opinion I have about a subject, you will also have one. Guess we have the same number of opinions.

I don't know how to respond to "Retarded Trailer". I've yet to talk to a trailer, so, how can I determine whether it's retarded or not.

P.S. If you would like to go riding with one of the "Goldwing Riders" I just described, let me know. I know several. Have a great weekend.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I'm in the 40's club. I just wouldn't wanna dis my fellow wingers like you just did. If it's only about image with you, ya might want to reconsider your preferences for bikes or forums. But on the other hand there's always an element of truth to any stereotype. Terry

·
Registered
386 Posts
OK now how can i say this an not get in trouble..here goes...just what are you looking for ...im 57 a little heavy wife is not as slim as she once was come to think of it she was never thin(in trouble)An the retard trailer we pull when we go for a 10 day ride of 3 thousand miles carrys our stuff an yes at the old age of 57 i crank up the rock an roll an dont forget in a few years your wife in her hot halter top will not be as hot as she is now but thats ok you will still love her just the same ...listen just ride an enjoy life....RALPH

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
dangerdave said:

I'm in the 40's crowd.
I am 36, have had my wing since 02, I haul a huge camper trailer about 10% of the time, and my girl is 28, runs the accounting branch of a tech company, and loves to ride with me where ever I go, w/ trailer or w/o. Usually with Gary Numan at about 25 volume.

See that smile:
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'll bite as well...

If you enjoy riding ANY motorcycle at any age/sex/ethnicity/etc. - you are OK in my book!

So - my demographic is not in the stereotype you proposed though:

36 years old, 6'4", 245 lbs - pretty sure my wife is still hot and she not only likes to ride, she drives her own bike as well!

One other important point though - I plan to play loud mainstream jazz on my sound system instead of heavy metal 8) !

Cheers,
B

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
trialsman said:
I don't know how to respond to "Retarded Trailer". I've yet to talk to a trailer, so, how can I determine whether it's retarded or not.
I think he means if you have a trailer in tow YOU are a retard.... Yet another one of his brilliant opions!!!

Matt9Ashland,MA)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm with Bill. At least you've got the 'opinionated' part down. :yes1:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea, I'm 53, got a hot babe/girlfriend who I've been married to for 33 years, tow a trailer, and listen to oldies/C&W. I've got my opionions. I've lived though a lot in 20 years of active military service and now as a LEO.... hope and pray for the youngin's out there who want to criticize my lifestyle that they can survive and accomplish as much. Bottomline: to each his own, just don't criticize me and the lifestyle while I'm happy and having fun....I think I've earned it. P.S. : I go to church and pray on a regular basis too,,,,, guess that really puts me an obsolete, one foot in the grave category.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
dangerdave said:
I ride more miles in a year than most people do in a month.
The tag line of his probably says more about dangerdave than his silly remarks. I only got about 14,000 miles in last year(probably far under the average for most of the riders on the board) so this means he rides about 1,200 or so miles a year. Sounds more like a poser than a rider. Yawn.
:no:

·
Registered
181 Posts
40's here, hot 30's wife on the back (that refuses to ride on my other bikes) and I have other women (Hot and in thier 20s - 30s) drolling over the back seat after they get off of other bike seats in the charity rides and group rides we do.

I've had more women ask for a ride on my Wing than on any past or present V-twin I own.

But your stereotype does hold true for the local GW ride/owner groups.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Well,,,,,yeah, I'm over fifty, 55 now, wife, she close to my age ( see how I avoided that, that my friend is how us old farts stay out of trouble) she may not be hot looking to you, but she's my "hottie" and has been for over 38 years.....

As for a trailer, oh hell yeah, I don't know how I got along without it for the 40 years I've riding.....would not be without it now!!!!!!!

I've owned a plethora of motorcycles over the years, Hondas, Harleys, Kawasaki, Suzies, Ossa, and custom v-twin's, even build a few myself for myself.....

Opinionated, oh hell yeah again!!!!!!, I know what I like and don't like...and if you ask me, I'll tell you...I won't tell you what to like, that's your business....

Remember, you young guys that think you know everything are very annoying to those of us that do! :mad1:

·
Registered
906 Posts
DD:
I have an'06 GW. I still have a couple of months to go before I am 55. I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 250+- pounds. I dont pull a trailer,but might someday. I would like to someday attend a bumpkin folksy activity (have'nt yet), I think my wife is foxy, we don't play hard rock music, we have an opinion, same as you. Now, what did I want to say? Oh ya. What's the point you were making here?
Joe

·
Registered
906 Posts
I almost forgot, I have long hair and a go tee also. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry, I'm not an exact fit to the demographics.
Yes on Old F**t (61). :D
Yes on trailer. :D
No on fat. No on ride to eat. No on riding in the slow lane. 20+ years of riding. No on GWRRA, or any of the other groupie clubs that only want your money and provide a monthly dinner place (you pay).
Yes on AMA.
Yes on riding the twisties.
Yes on extended touring trips.

Don't try to fit Gold Wing riders into one category of perceived demographics. We're all different and mostly nice people.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts