GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not your usual tire thread!

My Wife & I recently bought a 2001 Goldwing with only 5000 miles on the clock...so it has the original tires. Now the motorcycle is at 6000 miles and is still on the original tires.

Today as I was rounding a curve and getting on the throttle, the rear tire spun up and the motorcycle went side ways, then grabbed traction and righted itself. A very unnerving experience! I felt and looked like a dirt tracker, but on an 800 lb motorcycle!

I've only owned Sport bikes and Sport-tour motorcyles until this purchase and am wondering if this spin-up is a feature of the Goldwing. This is the second time in a 1000 miles that the rear tire has broken loose. The first time was on a straight patch of road under steady throttle.

I am assuming my tires, at 8 years old, have given the ghost and are hard as rocks, thus causing the undesired behavior.

I am leaning toward installing installing the Elite 3 tires, but considering the stiff side wall and load rating of 80, I am concerned that this undesired behavior will be exacerbated. We need tires that stick!

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Tires

Definetly change the tires, they are too old and were not all that great when new.
I run the E3s and have been happy with them along with others. The Bridgestones are also a good tire and liked by many also. The choice of tires is yours, but do change them ASAP.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My original Dunlops did that to me once!
Then I switched to Bridgestones and they were a 1000% better all around!
In my book, the Stones belong on Goldwings!
Just MHO

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
the dunlops are the only tires i can spin out of turns new,any dunlop

·
Registered
792 Posts
The tires could be getting hard with age and been how your in Colo. I thinking there could also be a lot of junk on the road from the snow removal. Had my front wash out about 3 or 4 inchs in a switchback because of junk, felt like 3 or 4 feet, tire has less than 2 thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Definetly change the tires, they are too old and were not all that great when new.
I run the E3s and have been happy with them along with others. The Bridgestones are also a good tire and liked by many also. The choice of tires is yours, but do change them ASAP.
:agree:If you plan to get in the twisties hard the stock tires just don't cut it.:eek:4:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
6 years is the max for any tire plus it may have been 2 years old before it was installed on your bike. Slipping is only one concern the other being a blowout. This year we had two deaths near me due to a blowout and the year before one. On a bike tires are everything.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not your usual tire thread!

My Wife & I recently bought a 2001 Goldwing with only 5000 miles on the clock...so it has the original tires. Now the motorcycle is at 6000 miles and is still on the original tires.

Today as I was rounding a curve and getting on the throttle, the rear tire spun up and the motorcycle went side ways, then grabbed traction and righted itself. A very unnerving experience! I felt and looked like a dirt tracker, but on an 800 lb motorcycle!

I've only owned Sport bikes and Sport-tour motorcyles until this purchase and am wondering if this spin-up is a feature of the Goldwing. This is the second time in a 1000 miles that the rear tire has broken loose. The first time was on a straight patch of road under steady throttle.

I am assuming my tires, at 8 years old, have given the ghost and are hard as rocks, thus causing the undesired behavior.

I am leaning toward installing installing the Elite 3 tires, but considering the stiff side wall and load rating of 80, I am concerned that this undesired behavior will be exacerbated. We need tires that stick!

With the tremendous torque of the 1800 Wing and old, hard tires, I can see your tires causing the problem. I'm on my 3rd set of Bridgestones and and love them. Good wet or dry traction, no wobbles, easy to balance and good wear without severe cupping.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts

Today as I was rounding a curve and getting on the throttle, the rear tire spun up and the motorcycle went side ways, then grabbed traction and righted itself. A very unnerving experience! We need tires that stick!

Yeah, thats your problem. Swap them out to Metz for best bite or Stones for next best bite.

When I first got my Wing it had Dunlop 250's on it. It would spin up in first or second fairly easy. I sort of got into doing drifts coming out of curves on mine. I thought the Wing was pretty controlled and predictable when the arse stepped out on hard exits, fun to me. I still wouldn't run 'em ever again. In the wet they are downright treacherous.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Ditch the tires FAST! They are too old. 4 to 5 years is max life on tires. I'm sure you will get plenty of recomendations on brand and type, but the ones your on are not safe.

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
I went with Avon Venoms which were really great after riding on those Dunlop rim protectors. After I wore out the Venoms I installed a set of Avon Cobras at HDL and headed straight for Deals Gap. As you can see by my picture, they hold the road really well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts