GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the PIAA 110 Watt Super Platinum bulbs in my low and high beams on my 06 1800, I can't remember any other motorcycle having this good of forward lighting brightness.

Does anyone know of any other manufacturer than can match Honda's reflective technology?

When I added the EC German fog lights 55 watt, and the PIAA 1100X Driving lights..I have 8 bulbs on the front end lighting the way...who can match that for brightness, and brilliance?

AND.......the front Honda beams ARE ADJUSTABLE for your application or being able to see further down the road!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
If you TRULY want to appreciate your bikes headlight, get on a 1st generation K1200LT. You will want to leave the bike on the side of the road. That bike has a lot of good things about it, and the headlight ain't one of 'em.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,822 Posts
The stock headlights on my Wing are better than the ones in my truck, especially when the high beams are on.

·
Premium Member
19,862 Posts
the GL1800 headlights are so bright they seem like they could start a forest fire..........

·
Registered
130 Posts
or burn the paint off a barn at 50 feet!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm not saying they are junk but

my 06 Kaw ZZR600 makes the wing look pretty poor

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/14february05_zzr600.htm
Now that I've talked about the handling, the brakes, and the power, let's get to my favorite part - the headlights. Yes, the headlights. I know that may sound a little weird, but only if you haven't ridden a ZZR600. If you don't ride at night very often you may not realize how weak the headlights are on many modern production bikes. This is a problem that crosses all categories - I have ridden very few bikes with truly excellent headlights. The ZZR600 is one of those bikes. The dual-lowbeam/dual-highbeam setup is hands-down the best headlight of any motorcycle I have ever ridden. In fact, riding the ZZR made me wonder why many modern sport-tourers, which should be designed with nighttime riding in mind, don't have headlights half this good. With the highbeams on, I could ride my favorite twisty roads just as comfortably at night as I could during the day, which is a rare occurence.

Did I tell you it's for sale. Only 3000 miles and never been in the rain. She's setting in the garage with a battery tender on her waiting on it' new owner.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Re: Goldwing has the brightest headlight on any bike? True?

Basspro said:
After installing the PIAA 110 Watt Super Platinum bulbs in my low and high beams on my 06 1800, I can't remember any other motorcycle having this good of forward lighting brightness.
Would you care to tell where you purchased them and How Much?
And are they actually 55w usage with 110w projected output?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Re: Goldwing has the brightest headlight on any bike? True?

goldwingnut said:
Basspro said:
Would you care to tell where you purchased them and How Much?
And are they actually 55w usage with 110w projected output?
I'd like to know where, and how much too. All the PIAA H7 replacements I can find look like they say actual 55watt with an "apparent 110watt output".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just click on PIAA website several mfgs. sell them about 48.00 per pair, have had them in 3 bikes, my ZX-12r, my 99 SE which were the H-4 and more powerful 125/135 Watt, and now the 55W-110 PIAA Super Platinum bulbs which are H-7 really do the job...the filaments are much thicker than stock.

Have never had any dripping platic, or burned out bulbs...thousands of miles on them....and they are just wonderful.....you can buy cheap bulbs at Walmart for 12.95, but why would you want to put your life in the hands of a cheap bulb...you drive a 20,000.00 motorcycle...why not put a top grade bulb in it so you can see where you are going...seems like a no-brainer to me.

You buy ABS, Airbag, best tires, good brake pads, use best oil, a 500.00 seat to keep your butt comfortable.....and want to spend 12.95 for a headlight bulb.......no way!

Being able to see and be seen is the name of the game..if a better bulb can save your life, why not have it on board.....??

I bought EC's lower cowl lights because they are the best...and have the PIAA's above them to compliment visibility.....and when you are on a dark road and turn them on....you have to experience the difference to appreciate them......sure they cost money so what....how much is your butt worth if someone can't see you, or if you miss something on the side of the road with 4 legs..like a deer or a dog?

It never ceases to amaze me of the members who want to do things on the cheap and just get by......and put themselves in jeopardy.....

Buy the best helmet you can, buy the best gloves, and riding boots, and riding jacket....then you are able to go out there and deal with the public who always wants to use the excuse...."I didn't see him" In the meantime you are injured or dead....he gets a small ticket....and you never ride your Goldwing again.....enough said!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts