GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is computer illiterate and wants me to ask a question so please excuse my lack of "bike lingo".

He replaced his heated seat and now his heated grips do not work. I read they are somehow electrically tied together and and will no longer work. Has anyone tried to rewire a different way to get them to work again?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I pretty sure you need the heated seat to have the heated grips work. I haven't heard of anyone rewiring the grips to work without the heated seat.

·
Registered
25 Posts
grips

Hi you have to get 4 - 160 resisters and take the seat plug and go to pin 3 to 7 then pin 3 to 10 then 6 to 4 and last 6 to 8. this way it replaces the seat therminster with fixed resisters. Then your controller will work. Go to radio shack and get the resisters. Tom

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yes there is a fix for it. It involves inserting 160k resistors in the empty plug. This is what some are using to fix the problem

Pin 3 to 7
Pin 3 to 10
pin 6 to 4
pin 6 to 8

Resistors can be had from Radio Shack. 160K are the ones that seem to work best.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My goodness you guy's are confusing. Can anyone explain this operation in layman's terms? What exactly are you doing? :confused: Step by step would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in Advance.

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Here is a link to a previous discussion. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169922 The photos are no longer viewable but there is enough info to figure it out. If you look at the plug where the seat was plugged in you will see 10 wires going into it. The "pin 3 to pin 7" means that "pin 3" is the 3rd wire from the corner of the plug. Read this thread a few times then look at the plug. Hopefully it will make sense to you.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
When you go to Radio shack just ask the counter person you need resistors and how many.
Tell him/her they need to be 160 K Ohms. They will know what you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts