GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a dumb question to some of the more experienced
GW riders but is there anyway to reduce the height of the bike. I didn't have a problem touching the ground on my Suzuki but I am on my tip toes. Any help or recommendations?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
rmiller said:
GW riders but is there anyway to reduce the height of the bike. I didn't have a problem touching the ground on my Suzuki but I am on my tip toes. Any help or recommendations?
My suggestion would be to reduce the height of the seat. Check Diamond or Hartco seats.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
rmiller said:
After reading all the other posts about that on this web site I purchased a used seat in very good condition on Ebay very cheap.

I opened the seat up and cut about 2 inches of foam
(in thin sheets so I could glue some back if I needed to) from the driver area
use one of those old electric carving knives
only cut from the flat bottom of the seat
leave the top "sculpted" area untouched
still PLENTY of foam left.

... left the passenger area stock.

Don't cut foam from where the seat touches the tank or you'll open up a gap.

I was not tip-toe but I went from the balls of my feet to flat foot.
Did 810 miles over the weekend and was very comfortable.

unexpected benefit ... the boys are MUCH happier too.

I can still sell the bike with my brand new "stock" seat if someone needs it.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
rmiller said:
...is there anyway to reduce the height of the bike. I didn't have a problem touching the ground on my Suzuki but I am on my tip toes. Any help or recommendations?
While the height of the seat MAY be your point of concern, the width/depth of the seat (more specifically the horn and/or wings) MAY be the issue instead.

Before you invest significant time and resources, seek the advice of a qualified seat maker and get their input.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have thicker soles put on your riding boots.
There's the easy fix. That is the least of my problems. I am 6'4" and have pretty long legs. My problem is that if I get the highway pegs foward enough to suit me, then the fairing is so wide the it really isn't comfortable.
I have thought for years that if I bought a GL1800. I would have to have the seat modified, to give me a position farther back. It's looking like I was right.

·
Registered
501 Posts
KC , I am also 6'4", I had my seat done by WIngsoft, the Large moves you back about 2", make the hiway pegs usable.
Also give you much more knee room and is VERY comfortable......

·
Registered
786 Posts
Bob,
I too had that problem, and did much like wingwing said
remove the foam from the drive seat cut off a couple inches from the bottom of the foam and put it back,
It lowered it about 1 1/2 inches,
but if you don't take some from the front area by the tank, you will have an area that is always pushing on your privates, not a pleasant fee after a few long miles, so taper it off there leaving a bit near the tank so as not to have that gap there,
a peace of that black fuel hose split and wrapped around the seatboard at the tank area also helps to feel the gap.

My first attempt I cut the foam off the top, don't do that, you need it to feel up the cover and make it look much better plus rides much better.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The easiest place to start is to set the suspension preload at "0" and wear thick soled shoes. That is what my wife does and it works for her.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suspension preload set at zero makes the most sence without spending a large sum of dollars. I checked with two custom seat makers today, their top of the line seats start anywhere from $899 to $749 with increases that should have gone into effect at the 1st of the year. The $899 seat manufacturer told me I cauld make payments. I just spent $489 for kurayakyn Floor Boards with heel toe shifter, I'm sure this didn't help my situation out but it really looks nice. With a few more miles in the saddle I'm hoping things will settle in. Thx. for your help.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
rmiller,
Here 's my story...had Traxxion installed and the improvement has been spoken for plenty! but the bike gained a little height...being an old chopper days kind of guy I liked my sitting low, flat footed, knees bent at the stop light...sent the rear fork back to Max and he tweaked the gidget on the bottom of the fork and lowered the beast a tid-bit

the consequence is that I think I gained a minute slight rake... but to sensitive guy like me whom women love because I tell how I feel often, I feel the bike sits on the freeway better...a$$ down, front up a bit more and better rail on the high speed cruise....think about it, the opposite is the way of a crouch rocket's manuverability...

Talk to Max about it

·
Registered
509 Posts
Red said:
Have thicker soles put on your riding boots.
The only thing about thicker soles is it makes it harder to get your foot between the peg and the shifter, at least for me. I've always wondered how people ride with some of the thick traction sole boots i have seen advertised as biker boots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm 5' 4 1/2" with a 26" inseam. Not many on this board shorter then me if any. I found a local that does custom seat work on cars and bikes. I had my seat cut and gained about 3/4". I got boots with thicker soles and gained about another 3/4". The most important thing for me was and still is practice and ride with attitude. I hardly ever stop with both feet down. Left foot down and right foot on the brake. It was overcome the handicap or buy a harley. I still have the Wing! Ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ironbutt Ken said:
The easiest place to start is to set the suspension preload at "0" and wear thick soled shoes. That is what my wife does and it works for her.
What I did. My boot has 2 1/2" heel & 1 1/2" toe. Excellant quality with looks that are a little radical, but they work really well for me. This company also has a motorcycle boot and a biker boot that are not quite as radical, but I'm not sure of the heel & toe sole thickness. The company has a US distributor in Las Vegas. That is where my boot was shipped from.

http://www.newrockstore.com/zona1/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=81

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would not suggest that you set the rear shocks at "0". "0" will surely get the wing closer to the ground but if you are over 150lbs the motorcycle will handle like a dump truck in the bumps. It will also place hard pieces of the motorcycle closer to the ground so you will have an easier time dragging them. I am 5'4" and my rear is set on 18. It always stays on 18 unless I find myself in a bad situation. Like sitting in gravel on the side of the road. I can only put one foot on the ground and when the surface is chancey I lower the bike.
The seat mod will work. and custom shoes will help.
One thing that has not been suggested is to take yourself to a few motorcycle courses and learn to control your bike. Then go to a parking lot and practice, practice, practice until you are confident that you can operate the motorcycle in any condition that you place yourself in. I have seen talented folks with small inseams do great things with their bikes. It is not necessary to be able to flat foot to be able to control your bike. With practice you will be the master of your steed in light of the fact that you have "little" legs! :D

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I run my bike at zero setting on the shock, even when I am packing...and I also had my rear shock lowered...but then again, I stopped making my Wing ride like a dump truck by putting TRAXXION...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nando said:
I run my bike at zero setting on the shock, even when I am packing...and I also had my rear shock lowered...but then again, I stopped making my Wing ride like a dump truck by putting TRAXXION...
How did you get your rear shock lowered?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
PROD said:
I'm 5' 4 1/2" with a 26" inseam. Not many on this board shorter then me if any. I found a local that does custom seat work on cars and bikes. I had my seat cut and gained about 3/4". I got boots with thicker soles and gained about another 3/4". The most important thing for me was and still is practice and ride with attitude. I hardly ever stop with both feet down. Left foot down and right foot on the brake. It was overcome the handicap or buy a harley. I still have the Wing! Ride it like you stole it.
Bulldog and I both have you beat :wink: :lol: I am shorter in both height and inseam and have been riding Wings since 1984. I had tried a cut own seat on my first Wing (84 1200) and did not like where it put me in relation to the rest of the bike and returned it to stock. On my 88 GL1500 and 77 GL1000 I just adjusted the handle bars and controls to my comfort. On my GL1800 I added REG risers to bring the bars closer to me for better comfort and control. I have also taken many MSF riding courses over the years, and practice to stay proficient. At my height I have never sat flat footed on any of the bikes I have owned (except maybe my Hodaka Ace 100 back in the mid 70s). As stated by PROD I also decided I wanted to ride a Wing and nothing was going to stop me. Since going to a 70 series rear tire I am considering adding a bit to my boots when I get them resoled this winter. I also drop the suspension to 0 when I am backing the Wing into the garage and put it back up 17 or 18 when we are getting ready to take off. I am also looking into John's WingSoft "Small" modification which keeps the padding stock (or can be upgraded) but trims the sides to allow your legs to reach down a little further.

WingSoft seats
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Quick Siver...

I had Max from Traxxion lower it for me...but note, I lowered the Traxxion version of the rear shock, not the stock....if you lowered the stock shock my guess is that you be riding on a rigid frame...

If you can afford it, get Traxxion, is the best thing you'll ever invest money on that bike....
Aloha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts