GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from any GW buddies in Canada. I passed my motorcycle driving test in Sept 2005 and my M in 2006 I have been riding a Piaggio 500cc since then and last year got my wing a 2001 GL1800.
At the moment Im insured by Kingsway via JD Smith brokers.
I am paying this year $737 for the Piaggio $1070 for the GW, I feel this is on the high side, Insurance companies have the right to charge what they can get away with but I have the right to shop around.
So what do you think, pay up and shut up or look elsewhere.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Check Harley Davidson for insurance. You may have to join H.O.G., and Harley isn't actually the underwriter but I think you'll like their rates.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow! :eek: I'm not in Canada but here in the midwest I'm paying under $300 on a 08 ABS Wing. Thats full coverage nothing less then 100/300 and a $250 deductible. You folks sure get hammered hard up there good thing your beer is higher alcohol content to help with the sting.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I am paying about $750 a year for an '07 Wing + Bushtec trailer, 2005 Virago 250 and a 1975 Honda CL 360. Full coverage.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
At the moment Im insured by Kingsway via JD Smith brokers. I am paying this year $737 for the Piaggio $1070 for the GW, I feel this is on the high side, Insurance companies have the right to charge what they can get away with but I have the right to shop around.
So what do you think, pay up and shut up or look elsewhere.
In Ontario, you'll likely find that Kingsway is about the only underwriter, and most agents deal through them. Even CAA Insurance only takes your info and then passes it on to Kingsway. Your rate is actually pretty good, as I pay about $1200 from my Wing. Kingsway is actually giving you a small discount for a touring/cruiser bike over 1500cc, as they figure you are a more responsible rider. You are also likely getting another discount for multiple bikes, which is why your rate is only around $1000. You might get a better deal by shopping around, but it's probably unlikely. Some brokers may give you a deal to get your business, then you get socked the next year when Kingsway sends out your renewal.

Let me know if you find a better deal in Ontario, as I would also be interested.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
It sounds like a no brainer to me, 'shop around'.
Shopping does not cost you any money.
*I am sure that your rate reflects the number of years that you have operated a motorcycle ie: experience.
*The number of cc's. anything over 750cc is rated as a higher risk catagory.
(Thats why manufactures made the 750cc model a 748 cc displacement, if you told the insurance company you had a 748cc it was cheaper to insure than a 750cc)
*As well your driving infraction history is included ie: moving violations.
*Claims history
*Where you reside (vehicles per square kilometer) is also factored into the equation
Plus whatever other excuse they can use to charge you more!
With that being said your available opportunities are limited.
Even 'Gray Power Insurance' will not underwrite a motorcycle that has an 1832 cc. displacement. At least as of last year they would not.
Shop away.
BTW I pay around $800 per year with full replacement value of the bike, and all accessories/upgrades. Thats with 35 years riding experience and a perfect driving record., with no claims.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Check out TD Meloche Monnex. I switched to TD and saved a lot of money.
I'm going by memory, but I looked into TD Insurance when they first introduced motorcycle coverage a couple of years ago, and it was also underwritten by Kingsway. Can you clarify this? It's been a while since I looked into it.

There are no deals in Canada like you can get from Geico or Progressive in the US.

·
Registered
333 Posts
TD Insurance is underwritten by Primmum, the competitor to Kingsway.

I'm with Primmum in Ontario. $1027/year, full coverage, $1000 Ded. and 21 years of claim free M licence...

06 GW.

Cheers!

V.

·
Registered
855 Posts
bike insurance

> purchased my first bike in 2004 - a 2001 goldwing illusion red
> took the m/c course but that did not make any difference with
regards to any of the insurance companies rates
> one of the companies quoted a price of just under $2400 a year and
had the stupidity of telling me I only had to pay for 6 months if
I wanted to; I said, that's terrific, I can suspend the insurance for
the winter months of say, November to April; I was corected
> she said I could pay the annual premium of $2400 in 6 payments
instead of 12 !!!
> I commented that's kinda like if you're real hungry, cut your pizza
into 12 pieces instead of 6 - she did'nt get the point ....

> anyways, went to a local well known non-brokered insurance
company - my wife's car was insured there as well
> they didn't give a rat's backside that it was my first bike -
- full coverage, $1000 deductible as that was my choice as I
didn't figure any accident would be my fault

> monthly premium, taxes included, about $89 per month....

> while I can't suspend or reduce the coverage for the winter
months, that's the way it is up here, I really can't complain

...Ken

·
Registered
911 Posts
bike insurance

Hi guys...for you Canadian riders...I've got a 2006, fully insured, $1000 deductible...my rate is $965....it just went up..was $892 the last 3 years...call "Dalton Timmis" insurance...888-385-8466...ride safe...

Scott

I have no affiliation other than they carry my bike insurance

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Pearlblue,

I think your numbers are a "little" low if you reside in BC.
Basic insurance is around $800.00 (plates included), add on collision, fire/theft through private companies, that adds another $600.00.
"IF" you go through ICBC, cost would be close to $2,000.00.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
Pearlblue,

I think your numbers are a "little" low if you reside in BC.
Basic insurance is around $800.00 (plates included), add on collision, fire/theft through private companies, that adds another $600.00.
"IF" you go through ICBC, cost would be close to $2,000.00.
My primary address is in Alberta:thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd love to have $1070/yr for insurance for my wing.

I got my M2 in July of 08, and when I switched from my Canam Spyder to the wing in Nov, my insurance went from $1400/yr to $1700/yr. I'm with Jevco, another Kingsway Financial company.

Now, i've been told once I get a full year under my belt, it should drop quite nicely. I'd even be happy with $1400 again :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
:nojoke:
It sounds like a no brainer to me, 'shop around'.
Shopping does not cost you any money.
*I am sure that your rate reflects the number of years that you have operated a motorcycle ie: experience.
*The number of cc's. anything over 750cc is rated as a higher risk catagory.
(Thats why manufactures made the 750cc model a 748 cc displacement, if you told the insurance company you had a 748cc it was cheaper to insure than a 750cc)
*As well your driving infraction history is included ie: moving violations.
*Claims history
*Where you reside (vehicles per square kilometer) is also factored into the equation
Plus whatever other excuse they can use to charge you more!
With that being said your available opportunities are limited.
Even 'Gray Power Insurance' will not underwrite a motorcycle that has an 1832 cc. displacement. At least as of last year they would not.
Shop away.
BTW I pay around $800 per year with full replacement value of the bike, and all accessories/upgrades. Thats with 35 years riding experience and a perfect driving record., with no claims.
How do you get it that cheap from the ICBC gangsters.I pay more than that forPL&PD.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I have full coverage like 3 million 3rd party liability, i also carry 3 million for underinsured because i have my so and kids on the back all the time. due to the dangers of being hit off a bike and the physical damage i carry the extra cause there are a lot out there that carry the basic of 200000. so if he is at fault and only has 200000 thats all you get if they become vegetables through a car accident. thats why i carry such high liability.
i have private for collision and comp and the rest is through icbc as the private insurance company will not sell tp liability

1 - 20 of 20 Posts