GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least according to Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines. Both mags picked the 1600GTL as the #1 touring bike, maybe this will help push Honda in a new direction with the Wing.
Jakec

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Whether or not it's true is debatable. But yes, let's hope it pushes them to move forward and correct the 2012 error.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
In my book, Honda Goldwing is still number one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm pretty sure that both said it was the better 1up touring bike. Not 2up

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It must be something in the water...

Why do people insist on comparing two completely different things to say which is better?

Might as well take a 745Li and pit it against an F150 and ask which is the better truck.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
In a few years when it is time tested the truth will come out one way or the other. What were they basing this on? I haven't tried one so can't comment one way or the other, but it is a new kid on the block and hasn't had its metal tested. I don't doubt it is a fine machine, but the Wing, Venture and the Heavy HD's have stood the test of time.

BMW may have a winner, just too early to be sure.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have not ridden the Beemer but I hear, mostly from internet reports and magazine articles, that it is quite the machine. I sincerely hope it's a better all-around touring bike than the GL1800 because that will raise the bar for all future touring bikes, including Gold Wings.

The thing about the Gold Wing is that it created the heavy touring segment of the motorcycle industry and in has remained the undisputed king for 37 years. And now,after it has apparently taken BMW 37 years to build a bike that some journalists like better than the current model of Gold Wing, we're supposed to jump ship? No way!!!. We've heard this type of reporting before with Ventures, Voyagers, etc. and every one of the pretenders fell by the wayside.

The Honda Gold Wing is king! Long live the king!!!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

·
Registered
166 Posts
one would almost think that this is a goldwing forum or something. I agree though.
The only report I read put the BMW and Wing head to head with a passenger.
The BMW got some rave reviews but their overall conclusion was that the wing is king.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
And how many GTLs have actually been delivered now????

·
Registered
601 Posts
They are really somewhat different animals, however I do appriciate the BMW. BMW has shown that a heavy weight touring bike can be a bit sportier and more agile. (at least I'm assuming based on reviews since I haven't had a chance to ride one).

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Honda veered that direction a bit with the GL1800...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The only thing that matters to me when I'm thinking of buying something is "Do I like it enough to buy it". :shrug:

What anyone else thinks of it is irrelevant unless they gave it to me as a gift.Then I"m free to do what I want with it!.

The GL1800 has no competition.And I say that after dealing with warranty issues.

The BMW serves a different share of the market.I'd love to see the typical Goldwing couple try and do a 14 hour day on one of those bikes..lol

If you agree with any motorcycle mags,then you'll just have to buy one to see if it's all that or not.:shrug:

Like it or not.The 2012 is by far the best 1800 produced as of yet.I say this because it has the most updates to date.

Way to many cry babies judge the bike for it's back end looks,when they got no clue as to what Honda did to improve many aspects of the bike.

The same ones cried Yuck,when they introduced the 1500 and the 1800.Go figure huh?.

But you know how people are-If Honda built a new Goldwing to everyone's desires.Many would still complain about something.It's in their DNA to complain!..LOL

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I, for one, appreciate move toward less weight and more power, adjustable aerodynamics, adjustable suspension and handling characteristics above and beyond pre-load, reduction in cockpit items and distractions, etc. That BMW is pushing Honda once again is a good thing. My allegiance is to fine, SOTA motorcycles, not Honda (although I do think a lot of their small-engine products and have a bunch (mowers, blowers, generators and things).

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
According to the MC Mag. the GW is superior in:
Fit and finish
comfort
passenger comfort
center of gravity
bigger boxer better for the super slab
more leg room
more passenger room
less drive line slack
transmission is not as clunky
better brakes with less pulsation

But somehow there last statement makes the BMW the better touring machine.

"Yes the Gold Wing did give us the best years of it's life, but we're running off with the 133 hp BMW anyway, sorry...

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
But somehow there last statement makes the BMW the better touring machine.

"Yes the Gold Wing did give us the best years of it's life, but we're running off with the 133 hp BMW anyway, sorry...
Sounds like a bunch of spoon-fed crap to me.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You couldn't give me a BMW :no:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I for one am happy to see competition. Without competition comes complacency and we all know Honda has been sleeping at the stick since early 2000.

Hopefully...they answer the call with more than lame re-styled bags, supposed better tuned suspension, a 2 tone color scheme and a few new slits in the nose.

It's just how I feel.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Writers will pretty much say anything in a magazine to promote a product, probably in the next issue they'll compare the Royal Star Venture to the BMW and say the Venture is awesome, rides like a dream and has an azz kicking sound system. Spit on your finger and put it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing for the next article.
I don't pay attention to any of the writers. If I'm in the market for a new whatever I go out and see for myself what is available, test it and then see if I want it. I don't let magazine article writers influence my buying decision, I use my own judgment.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
It's the new toy in the garage. Of course it is number one. :lol:

Guess it all depends on what you consider "touring". For me, that involves my wife and I....together....on the same bike. I suspect they are still giggling from their 1-up tests that involved pulling wheelies and trying to drag hard parts around corners while the back seat remained empty.

I sure hope this doesn't push Honda to turn the Wing into a 1-up tourer that will compete with the BMW. What a travisty that would be for my wife and I and all those riders that like to share the road with a loved one riding pillion. :nojoke:

At least according to Cycle World and Motorcyclist magazines. Both mags picked the 1600GTL as the #1 touring bike, maybe this will help push Honda in a new direction with the Wing.
Jakec

1 - 20 of 150 Posts