GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be smarter than I look for when it was time to replace my 2006 Wing I lucked into buying Len Ellis’ fully loaded and accessorized pristine low-mileage 2012 airbag model Goldwing. Len is a top-notch Goldwing mechanic and offered as a condition of the sale to perform any necessary maintenance on the bike. He enjoys working on Goldwings, and services many of the bikes for his friends. I am well aware of my own limitations so I gladly make the ride to San Antonio for service.

I did just that a couple of days ago. It was time for air filter replacement and a Traxxion front fork rebuild. I also wanted to replace the iridium spark plugs for they had about 75,000 miles on them and wanted Len’s opinion of the plugs’ condition, so I asked him to replace them. Finally, the “circus lights”, a “safety accessory” of color-changing led strips, had stopped working.

For what it is worth, the 75,000 mile plugs looked just great. I may find them, check the gaps, and report back but they all looked ready to run another 25,000 miles easily.

Len’s garage is a popular hangout when he has these maintenance sessions. Some help, some socialize, but all have a good time. I had full intentions of trying to do some or most of the work to learn under Len’s expert supervision, but I quickly realized that I was out of my league and in the way of progress. If Len ever quits working on my bike I’ll have to quit riding.

The picture below is of Len working on my forks.
Shelf Engineering Gas Tool T-shirt

In the picture below forum member Griffalo is supervising Len and Carmen to make sure they are doing it right

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design T-shirt Workwear

I had to take this picture to prove how meticulous the work is done here. Phyllis (Len's wife) is actually measuring the degree angle of the ****-O-Pegs to make sure they are exactly the same on both sides!

Footwear Shoe Automotive tire Hood Leg

Yes, this filter was ready to be changed OK, but I've seen worse.

Brown Rectangle Wood Gas Hardwood

The next two pictures would scare me if I had to put it back together by myself.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design T-shirt Workwear

These last two pictures are examples of the "circus lights" that Len installed for purely safety reasons. The lights, when enabled slowly change colors through the spectrum, and make the ladies beg me to take them for a ride.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I'll never understand why the 2012's and some early 2013's had all that grey primer on the front cowling.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Was that a metal flake black tailwind I saw back there?..... You have the same color mismatch I have pulling mine with my blue 2018. A perfect match with my 2010 though..... Thought about putting some blue pin stripping on it, but never get past the initial thought.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Boy Glen, I sure wish I had a buddy like that in Michigan. I need to change my air filter and do my Traxxion forks this winter and I'm not looking forward to the experience.

·
motorcycle cowboy
2013 GL1800
1,045 Posts
Glen, which windshield is that on the bike and how do you like it?

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, Glen doesn't need any fancy-schmancy lights to entice the ladies. He's got those darn killer good-looks! :ROFLMAO:
Bob, I've been trying to sell that line for years but nobody it buying it!! 😂 😀:cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Hondahawk

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glen, which windshield is that on the bike and how do you like it?
It is the short (11", IIRC) WIndbender with the farkle shelf. This one has the motorized option. I love it! I keep it down low enough that I am looking over it most of the time but if I need it higher relief is a flick of a switch away. I have my Zumo GPS, my phone mount, and my Spot tracker mounted on the farkle shelf.

Reactions: rooster shooter

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How's that working out for ya, Glen?
Edith is suspicious of me for some reason. She doesn't trust me when I tell her that I have to carry an extra helmet on the bike just in case mine breaks.

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Len's a good guy, and an excellent mechanic. I miss seeing my friends in Texas.
Your name ALWAYS comes up whenever we have a garage party. Usually in the context of "How would Fred handle this?" Len is an excellent mechanic, and is very meticulous. Since this used to be his baby he lavishes it with extra care. I am blessed that he loves only 300+ miles from me. If he weren't doing this for me I'd be making the pilgrimage to Mountain Home, Arkansas for your services just as I did when you were local in Fort Worth!

Your Texas friends miss you! We seriously need to schedule a RTE in Northeast Texas or Southwest Arkansas.

Glen

·
Registered
969 Posts
Don't let Glen fool anyone. When I arrived to the party (late by 20 minutes), he was in there getting his hands dirty as well. The only reason he doesn't have a picture of that is that it's hard to get a selfie when your hands are dirty. In all honesty though, Len is a great mechanic and teacher and loves to show you how it's done while getting his hands dirty. He loves working on the bikes as much as he loves to shoot the bull with his friends. And he does give that particular bike the extra TLC that shows he cares. Glen, it was great seeing you and I'll have to make a run to your place one of these days when I'm down in Sealy. Conversation is always pleasant and company is even better!!!

On another note, I was supposed to go help Len work on Marvin's (Wild Turkey) bike this morning, but I woke up about 4am with severe vomiting and diarrhea. This went on for about 4 hours and I had to cancel out on helping on that one. My apologies to you two, but my stomach does not know what end is up and I am so damn sore around my ribs. Hopefully it will be like the last few times and just be a 24 hr bug and pass with no further incidents.

Hope everyone stays healthy going into this Thanksgiving season and you all get to enjoy time with your families and friends.

Keith (Griffalo)

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's the housing market like where you are, Glen?
Like everywhere else, it is up at least 25% over a couple of years ago. Hard to be sure because I'm not looking to either buy or sell, but that's what I hear from friends.

·
Administrator
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was that a metal flake black tailwind I saw back there?..... You have the same color mismatch I have pulling mine with my blue 2018. A perfect match with my 2010 though..... Thought about putting some blue pin stripping on it, but never get past the initial thought.
Doug, you saw a Tailwind but it is a Titanium Tailwind to match my 2006 titanium WIng. I have seriously considered, and still think about it, painting the Tailwind to match my present blue Goldwing. I should probably save the money and get a butt lift and tummy tuck instead! 😂

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
969 Posts
Doug, you saw a Tailwind but it is a Titanium Tailwind to match my 2006 titanium WIng. I have seriously considered, and still think about it, painting the Tailwind to match my present blue Goldwing. I should probably save the money and get a butt lift and tummy tuck instead! 😂
Hey Glen, think about getting a wrap job done instead of paint. Then if you ever go back to a Titanium Wing, you can peel the wrap off and still have a matched set!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts