GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a trusted GW mechanic in the N. VA area that they use and would recommend?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dave,
i am using BLALOCK in Warrenton, for sure avoid Manassas Honda, always had problems with them, and with my setup, they refused to work on it unless I remove the sidecar. I will be interested to learn who you selected

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum. Just brought my wing looking for good dealer to do factory maintenance. Live in the Stafford Va area. Heard mixed reviews about local Fredericksburg Motor Sport.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've had Blueridge Powersports work on a bike. They did an okay job. Not perfect. The damaged a set of highway peg mounts and replaced two black JIS head pan bolts with a set of silver hex head pan bolts.

They fixed the highway peg mount and were very accomodating to work with. I felt comfortable with their knowledge of the products they sell (Honda motorcycles). I also felt they fought for me with the warranty folks to get my bike repaired under warranty even though the problem was intermitent. Their perserverance paid off as it turns out, we were correct in what we thought was the problem (bad TPS).

I'm very particular about how things go back together. I want it EXACTLY like it came from the factory or how for accessories I installed, EXACTLY as I had it installed. I don't like it when inappropriate fasteners are swapped or cables are run in a different way. Just because it has the same threading doesn't mean it is the right fastener and there is a reason why wires/cables were run/stacked/organized they way they were. It's just a lack of attention to detail. I consider it sloppy work.

Anyway, if there was a place I would take my bike to because it needed work that I couldn't do, it would be Blueridge Powersports. They are located in Harrisonburg, VA.

New to the forum. Just brought my wing looking for good dealer to do factory maintenance. Live in the Stafford Va area. Heard mixed reviews about local Fredericksburg Motor Sport.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Avoid FMS

Avoid FMS at all costs. I have used MFI in Woodbridge before and they did competent work. I never took a bike to Blue Ridge Powersports because of distance, but have always heard positive comments.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
How about in the Richmond area you would trust to work on your wing??
For Crash damage I have used HondaHouse 360 on Hull Street and have no complaints, but I wasn't paying for it either. I am also looking for an independent.

I use their Broad Street associate for Tire Changes and have they have always turned it around quickly, but they also tend to use lots of weight for balancing for some reason.

Priced a fork rebuild from 360 and they were going to be $200 per side plus parts. Probably not too much out of line since the Traxxion dealer in MD was $400 all in.

I have decided to try it on my own.

Would not use Fredericksburg Honda. Figured I would try them out and took a front tire to them. Cost me $75 just for them to mount it. I understand that I did not buy the tire there and they have to make money, but when It typically cost $25 anywhere else, even at a Harley Dealer that was way out of line. The front tire was a test to see how they treated me and was the main reason I went to 360 for the crash damage even though Fredericksburg is much closer to me. As a result of the $75 tire change they lost out on a ~ $4,000 crash repair.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Dang! $75 for a walk in tire mounting? I am liking my HF tire changer more and more.

BTW, go for the for fork rebuild. It will be a good thing to learn. It does sound premature for the seal to be leaking so the first thing I would try to do is use the 32mm film trick and try to clean the seal itself first. I went as far as 40,000 on a set of seals without any leaks. Bushings and legs hated it and were well worn but the seal never leak. Also, check the tube real close for nicks, scratches, etc that could have caused the seal to leak.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Dang! $75 for a walk in tire mounting? I am liking my HF tire changer more and more.

BTW, go for the for fork rebuild. It will be a good thing to learn. It does sound premature for the seal to be leaking so the first thing I would try to do is use the 32mm film trick and try to clean the seal itself first. I went as far as 40,000 on a set of seals without any leaks. Bushings and legs hated it and were well worn but the seal never leak. Also, check the tube real close for nicks, scratches, etc that could have caused the seal to leak.
Thats what i figure to do, Don talked to me and walked me roughly through it so I don't think I will have any problems between that and the manual. I would try the film thing, but will have limited riding time to check if it works before the ride in since it is going back in the shop for some additional crash damage.

On a diffent note, I like that you retained the six pipe look on your new bike exhaust tips. :thumbup:
Always liked them better and when I had a chance to pick up a nice set for cheap I put them on mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts