GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife & I road to Tortilla Flats AZ today, about 40 miles from our house. The road is quite twisty & slow in the mountains. Lots of folks out riding today..... the weather was great!

After eating we were headed back towards town. We rounded a curve and there is a 1200 Aspencade on it's side in the shallow ditch against the mountain.

Several sport bike riders had already stopped and are helping the wing rider. My wife directed traffic away from us as I helped the guys get the wing back up onto the road. There was minimal damage concidering the rocks the bike bounced off as it went off the road.

It was driver error, he was going too fast for the curve. He said he had owned the bike for 4 weeks. The bike started and we looked the bike over for problems to ride it further to get off the road for a closer look. The guy felt bad, we each told him that we all have been there and he should be thankful it was a simple incident with no serious injury.

Now....... there is a benifit here for us. My wife and I rode many years ago. At the younger age you seldom think about an accident.

We have been looking for riding apparel . She has been complaining about the placements of the armor in the pants and jackets...... besides the prices on some of the stuff.

She is not looking to be "in style" as we ride, she is just questioning the armor stuff. I have been pointing out that we need to "dress for the accident" and hope one never happens . I had already got her to understand the need for good boots up over the ankles.

We stopped at a little ghost town / tourist trap on the way back after the Aspencade incident. She mentions to me that " mayb 400 - 500 bucks for some good riding apparel would be a good idea.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
I sure agree with you about the age factor. We tend to get a lot smarter as we age and find out that we're not invincable. We also don't bounce back as fast as we did when we were young.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not only do we not bounce back as fast as we did when we were younger, some of us are getting old enough we just don't bounce period. :eek:4:

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Tony,

AFTER our horrific accident in 1996, less than 1 mile from the house,28 MPH.

Meesh and I went out and spent the money for clothes and boots.

Prior to the accident, $200 seemed like a lot of money for a pair of boots. $150 seemed like foolish money for armor jackets and pants, $100 was out of the question for a stupid looking pair of chaps. I guess we thought that our very expensive ARAI helmets would protect our torso and limbs as well!

Funny how a bad accident of your own, can twist your mind and make you feel differently about all that foolishly expensive safety gear, that just ain't all that pretty to look at.

It can't or won't happen to me are two great big LIES !
Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
307 Posts
armor

Tony, my wife and I spent a good pile of money on our Areostich Roadcrafter suits, but we don't get on the bike without them. We are new Goldwing owners and firm believers in dressing for the crash, not for the ride. We saw suits at Aerostich that were worn by people that wend down going 70 plus MPH and there was little damage to the suit and we were told that the people walked away, thanks to the protection. That works for us. You are smart to wear some good protection. :wink:

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
At the younger age you seldom think about an accident.
Isn't that the truth.I was around 20 when I owned my 750 Norton.I remember one rainy night that I knocked it over twice before I even got it started because I was drunk.I got on it anyway for a midnight visit to a girlfriend.I wore a helmet,but nothing more in the way of protective gear.

Today,I won't ride if I've had anything to drink,and I usually wear all my protective gear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Riding gear

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
"Thank God and Kevlar <sp> I'm here"
T-Boned on an 1800, at 45mph. If I was hit further back, I don't think
I would have any injury. Joe Rocket kept my skin in tact and
HJC Kept my skull in one piece

1 - 10 of 10 Posts