GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here! Hope you can help me with a overheating problem I'm having! I know this subject has been addressed several times throughout the years, but my situation puts (I think) a new twist on this age old problem that doesn’t seem to disappear completely! I have a 2010 GL1800 with a 2018 CSC Viper trike conversion, but this issue started before it was triked. My issue is that the Goldwing will overheat only whenever I'm trying to climb a mountain road (paved of course!). I have had it happen in Colorado, Montana & Wyoming. I'm aware of the speeds when the radiator fans kick in and out (mine is at ~18 MPH). The fans will kick in during stop and go traffic just like they are supposed to with the temp needle only slightly moving above normal. I've tried several different combinations of air flow speeds (40 to 60 MPH), higher RPMs (4000 to 5000 RPM) and low air temperature (low as 40deg) and it still overheats! And yes the radiator is full! I can ride on the flat interstate or two lane blacktop roads all day at 50 - 80 MPH in 100 degree heat, and the temp needle doesn't move even a tick! But ask it to climb a mountain, and the temp gauge climbs right along with it! Each time it get too high, I need to pull over and wait for the temp to go down before continuing up, or even turn around and go back down. It has puked out coolant a couple of times during these episodes. When I do make it to the top, the temp needle drops back to normal as soon as the road levels off. I've had the system flushed a couple of times, checked for blockages/restrictions, checked the pressure (good) and even replaced the radiator cap, but nothing seems to help! I’ve talked to several other Goldwing riders on these mountain roads and they say they’ve never had this same problem! Hope you can come up with a solution, because I would hate to restrict my riding to only the flatlands!

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Think I would start with soaking the outside of the radiator with preoxide and then trying to spray all the bugs and crap out of the radiator fins.

Many have reported finding a lot of bugs and stuff embedded in the radiator.

·
Vendor
16,022 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here! Hope you can help me with a overheating problem I'm having! I know this subject has been addressed several times throughout the years, but my situation puts (I think) a new twist on this age old problem that doesn’t seem to disappear completely! I have a 2010 GL1800 with a 2018 CSC Viper trike conversion, but this issue started before it was triked. My issue is that the Goldwing will overheat only whenever I'm trying to climb a mountain road (paved of course!). I have had it happen in Colorado, Montana & Wyoming. I'm aware of the speeds when the radiator fans kick in and out (mine is at ~18 MPH). The fans will kick in during stop and go traffic just like they are supposed to with the temp needle only slightly moving above normal. I've tried several different combinations of air flow speeds (40 to 60 MPH), higher RPMs (4000 to 5000 RPM) and low air temperature (low as 40deg) and it still overheats! And yes the radiator is full! I can ride on the flat interstate or two lane blacktop roads all day at 50 - 80 MPH in 100 degree heat, and the temp needle doesn't move even a tick! But ask it to climb a mountain, and the temp gauge climbs right along with it! Each time it get too high, I need to pull over and wait for the temp to go down before continuing up, or even turn around and go back down. It has puked out coolant a couple of times during these episodes. When I do make it to the top, the temp needle drops back to normal as soon as the road levels off. I've had the system flushed a couple of times, checked for blockages/restrictions, checked the pressure (good) and even replaced the radiator cap, but nothing seems to help! I’ve talked to several other Goldwing riders on these mountain roads and they say they’ve never had this same problem! Hope you can come up with a solution, because I would hate to restrict my riding to only the flatlands!
Mileage ???
Is there anything that is restricting your air flow through the radiators such as chrome in the radiator grill area ???

One more question ... are you the original owner, or did you buy this Wing used ???

·
IronMan
17,104 Posts
LONGSHOT . ONLY WHEN GOING UP HILLS . EVEN THOU HAD FLUSHED COUPLE TIMES WONDER IF MAYBE SOMETHING CAUGHT / LOST / BROKE LOOSE / STUCK IN WATER HOSE / BEFORE THERMOSTAT / TOP/BOTTOM OF A RADIATOR ??? WHEN GOING UPHILL ROLLS BACK AND BECOMES OBSTRUCTION AND SLOWS WATER FLOW . PIECE OF GASKET ETC ! ??? ONLY OTHER THING WOULD BE MUFFLER BEARINGS WORN OUT AND COME LOOSE GOING UP HILL AND BLOCKS THE EXHAUST AND BACK PRESSURE CAUSES IT TO OVER HEAT ! :surprise::wink2:

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Thermostat, water pump...(?). I’d change them both... shouldn’t have this issue with the 2010.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
892 Posts
The thermostat is in the water pump so when you change the water pump, you change both out at the same time. The water pump is a bear to reach so if you are going to take the time to pull the water pump to change out the thermostat, a better idea is to just change it out all together and be done with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2007 does the same. I rode about 6500 miles this summer and the only time the needle went over the middle line was coming up phantom canyon rd on the back side of pikes peak. I stopped and let it cool down at the 3/4 mark.

It would stop increasing in temp above 25 mph and with increased airflow.

I'm going to try cleaning the radiator, good place to start since it was fuel to low airflow in my opinion.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I discovered the fan on the left side was not turning and likely has been like this for years. The fan motor was working but the fan had stripped off the motor shaft. I thought they both were working fine by just listening to them. Make sure you feel air being forced out on both sides of the bike when the fans are running. So far no overheating since I replaced the motor and fan.

·
Registered
466 Posts
It’s a cross flow radiator. Either there is inadequate air flow or there is inadequate coolant flow. Obviously since it works adequately until you stress it, it’s not completely failed yet.

If air is getting through, maybe coolant flow is restricted. It’s old enough that a few years with inadequately protective coolant could have occurred. Check air flow first, and if it’s good, there’s really nothing to do but pull the radiator and see what you’re up against.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
My 2007 does the same. I rode about 6500 miles this summer and the only time the needle went over the middle line was coming up phantom canyon rd on the back side of pikes peak. I stopped and let it cool down at the 3/4 mark.

It would stop increasing in temp above 25 mph and with increased airflow.

I'm going to try cleaning the radiator, good place to start since it was fuel to low airflow in my opinion.
That is pretty much normal operation.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I discovered the fan on the left side was not turning and likely has been like this for years. The fan motor was working but the fan had stripped off the motor shaft. I thought they both were working fine by just listening to them. Make sure you feel air being forced out on both sides of the bike when the fans are running. So far no overheating since I replaced the motor and fan.

Just to add, the flow shouldn't be ou the side but the fans suck air in and push it out the front.

And that is part of the design flaw on these. I think if they blew out in conjunction with air flow while driving, it would be more effective. But that would increase the heat that the driver feels. Just reversing the fan wont effectively work either because of the pitch and design of the fan blades...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I might pull the thermostat for a hot water on the stove performance test, then replace with a new one you tested the same way. I pulled my radiators and soaked them in pails of peroxide/water over a weekend while I was gone, and still wasn’t completely satisfied. Kept/keep saying to my self “I should have just bought new ones to start over with”. Mine is the ‘05 with the small ones anyway. Let us know if you find anything. We are all curious.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
My older wing did this in slow traffic or parade mode. The only way to prevent it is buy the 2018+ wing.The cooling system in that model is fantastic. :smile2:

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
Thermostat not fully open. System clogged with hard water deposits, water pump circulation inadequate.

prs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have some chrome in the radiator grill area, but it doesn't appear to be restricting the air flow. Just crossed over 60,000 miles and I am not the original owner. Thanks for the suggestion!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! It's looking like my next course of action is to check for any obstructions in the radiators and hoses and/or replace the thermostat and water pump! Thanks again!

·
Vendor
16,022 Posts
I do have some chrome in the radiator grill area, but it doesn't appear to be restricting the air flow. Just crossed over 60,000 miles and I am not the original owner. Thanks for the suggestion!!
Your overheating issue is an odd one. Here are somethings to check for. I'd do them in this order.
1. The first thing to check is to make sure both fans are working correctly. To do that, start it and let it run until the fans come on. Place both hands under your head lamps. What you are feeling for is equal blow and equal heat on both hands.
2. If nothing is found there, the next thing to do is to pressure test the cooling system and cap. Leave the pressure tester on a high pressure test (16-20psi) for 3-4 hours looking for leaks to drip onto the floor. Then, do the same but this time do a low pressure test 6-8psi. If you have a belly pan, that will need removed first. Most likely you have coolant leaks and those will need resolved. Once those are repaired, continue pressure testing the system until no more leaks are found. Again, do a hi and low pressure test for at least 3-4 hours each.
3. Remove the reservoir and reservoir hoses to inspect them. Replace any reservoir hoses and/or tube level that have any cracking is their rubber ends.
4. If nothing is found in the above, because of your issue, it makes me wonder if the prior owner used an anti-freeze that doesn't mix well with others, and it has jelled and cause blockage. One way to tell is to remove the cowl, and radiator grills, and take infra-red readings at different places on each radiator. It might be best to have an experienced tech do that test. It is important to know that for our cooling system to be effective and efficient, the coolant had to have been changed every 2yrs or 24k whichever comes first. Have you been maintaining it accordingly ???
5. I would get rid of anything that might be restricting air flow through the radiators.

Unless you have a water pump leak, or it is noisy, replacing the pump with the thermostat is probably gonna end up accomplishing nothing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Follow Greg's instructions an you'll get results. As for the air flow grill restriction, I trimmed mine out with cutters and smoothed out the tips left with a Dremel tool, I can tell you, that helped a lot. Trimming out the grill will leave the faux chrome look on the border. Not sayin' that's gonna fix your problem, I'm pretty sure sure you have more issues than air flow. It's my opinion when the engine is really working on an especially hot day in the hills or mountains, you need all the air flow through the radiators you can get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the latest replies! Here are a few answers to some of your questions.
1) I've not checked if both fans are working. While sitting on the bike, I hear one or both running, but assumed that both have kicked in. I'll check that out today.
2) I've had it pressure checked by a mechanic and he said it held at 16PSI. I don't know if he did a low pressure check or not and I don't know how long he held each test. I'll ask him!
3) I didn't ask him specifically if he did any type of inspection of the hoses and connections. I can only assume that he did, but I'll ask that question also.
4) I'll admit that I'm not very good at maintaining my bike at the specified intervals (other than oil!). I'm sure that up until I started having the overheating issues, I never paid any attention to the coolant system other than making sure it was full. The coolant has been drained a couple of times since then, but I don't know if it was flushed out at all (if that's possible) to check for any jelled coolant that stayed behind. One more question to ask him.
5) As I mentioned before I do have some chrome accent on the outside body areas of the radiator grill inlets. There isn't anything on the grills themselves and it doesn't look like the chrome accents narrow the openings enough to be much of a restriction. But at this point, if I need to remove them, I'm willing to do anything to solve this issue!
6) I'm not sure what a failing water pump would sound like, but I do have a intermittent soft clicking noise coming from the engine area when it is idling, can't pin point where it is coming from. It has made that noise since I got it and I just assumed that was the sound of an 1800 vs. the 1500 I had before that.
7) Evans coolant was put in the last time it was drained because of the higher boiling temp. But, one thing I have noticed after this is that the fan (s) will kick in quicker than before. This happens while waiting for the light to change and even while slowing down to a stop sign/light after coming off the interstate highway (mid 70s air temp). The fans will kick in right around 18 MPH as I'm slowing down, it's never done that before. The bike's temp gauge was still at normal op temp. The Evans coolant has a higher boiling point but I'm wondering if it is as good with heat transfer as standard 50/50 coolant?
8) One thing I didn't mention before which only adds to the mystery and frustration of this hole situation is that the overheating is not consistent in each situation! One day in the mountains it operates flawlessly as it is supposed to, but the next day under near similar conditions, it will overheat. It has done that on several occasions. I don't want to get rid of it for a different bike, because then all I'll be doing is transferring the problem to someone else and that isn't the right thing to do!

Thanks again to everyone! I appreciate your help!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts