GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the club I belong to, I am the only one riding a newer goldwing.While we do have a few smaller hondas as well as a yamaha or two,and others the most common bike is another make that also starts with a "H". I have become aware that two of the "H" riders have been putting lots of cash into their bikes ever since I "shamed" them a couple times....all in good fun of course. One is sinking several grand into boring, stroking, jetting, porting,exhausting, ect. thinking this will help. In case you are wondering, ...yes I may be tempted to sink to their level...all in good fun of course. All this got me to wonder..anyone tried putting a blower or nitrous bottle on a wing? Now that would give 'em something to shoot for...hehehehe...hey just a thought.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well... to each their own. If you want to add something because YOU want it... then I say go for it.

But do yourself a favor, and don't add it just to 'keep up with the Jones'. You'll be kicking yourself later.

Tom

·
Registered
181 Posts
jit said:
..anyone tried putting a blower or nitrous bottle on a wing?
I'm not a mechanic or designer by any means, but I've heard it suggested that our large GL1800 low compression engines would be excellent candidates for being super charged.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
After the "H" riders have sunk thousands of dollars into their bikes to beat a touring bike you can ask them what it cost to beat you.

Even when they do beat you, they beat a touring bike. Is that really something to brag about?

If you really had the desire and the money to improve the output of your GW I would go in search of performance camshafts and high compression pistons. You might have to get them special made. Perhaps a prototype of what could be a production item. (=$$$$)

I would like you to keep a copy of your bill of sale handy for the day that one of them beats you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Maybe I'm just getting old (used to ride Hd, and in a storm 2 wheel company is always welcomed, any 2 wheel company becasue mechanical failures are common place), but the new HD riders can not stand to have a wing in front of them. While returning from Edmonton to Denver last month, in 2 days, in some very crappy weather. I was passed time and time again by the same HD guys going 90mph + but they were stopping every 60 miles I don't know what the hell they were doing and as the day would progress I was always ahead of them, riding 75-85 mph. in the 45degree drizzle and wind.
Guess I was driving them nuts, but riding that fast in a storm in Wyoming usually leaves you in a ditch.
I would rather enjoy the trip and get there alive

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
pasquenell said:
Maybe I'm just getting old (used to ride Hd, and in a storm 2 wheel company is always welcomed, any 2 wheel company becasue mechanical failures are common place), but the new HD riders can not stand to have a wing in front of them. While returning from Edmonton to Denver last month, in 2 days, in some very crappy weather. I was passed time and time again by the same HD guys going 90mph + but they were stopping every 60 miles I don't know what the hell they were doing and as the day would progress I was always ahead of them, riding 75-85 mph. in the 45degree drizzle and wind.
Guess I was driving them nuts, but riding that fast in a storm in Wyoming usually leaves you in a ditch.
I would rather enjoy the trip and get there alive
I agree with your actions of your encounter with HD riders. I just let them go. I try to stay far enough behind them so their "noise-makers" don't bother me.

Our little discussion about the competition was just a friendly thing. A little competition among the riding group. Nothing serious.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Nitrous is a cheap HP but it is hard on the bottem end. Also you do not get many bursts from a small bottle.

A blower is expensive but provides major howsepower. I have a Vortech on a castiron block ford pumping 12lbs - really fun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
By the time the Harley guys have built enough horsepower into their bikes to keep up with you, they will have made them more prone to breaking down. If they really want to race, make the distance several hundred miles.
Where I work, I'm the only Goldwing. There are 3-5 Harleys parked outside every day. When they found out that I rode 1240 miles in one day, they couldn't believe it. The most any of them has been able to ride in one day is 400 miles. His wife's butt was numb for the rest of the day. (That might be a good thing, if you think about it.) :)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
When I had my H road king.... many days I rode over 700 miles in a day.. IMHO whom ever cannot ride at least 600 miles in a day... is a candy butt ... and now my 2000 Dyna that has lots of engine work
turns in the low 10's in the quarter... and it has not blown up like some
like to say... its all in how you take care of your equipment...
I ride a H and Wing... I like both... they are TWO different motorcycles.. and I don't knock any brand bike...

cosmic

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nitros is really neat stuff. I have used on my dragster and it's really cheap horsepower IF you know what you are doing. Do not ever, ever, ever let the added nitros/fuel spray go lean (not enough gasoline) or very bad things happen. Just be conservative, get reliable, experienced advise, and buy a kit that someone else has proven.

I'm looking for that proven kit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
cosmic_chariot-
You, Sir, are not a typical rider. You're a member of the IBA which puts you at a different level than the average rider. You could probably do 500 miles a day on a Schwinn.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
RadarContact said:
Well... to each their own. If you want to add something because YOU want it... then I say go for it.

But do yourself a favor, and don't add it just to 'keep up with the Jones'. You'll be kicking yourself later.

Tom

You can't keep up with the Jones' because they have already refinanced!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys..this post was done with tongue in cheek...I personally don't have the brains, balls or finances to pull such a thing..nor do I have anything against anybody who doesn't ride a wing.It really doesn't matter what you ride..it matters that you ride. Its just that goofy little hotrod voice from way back in my head that comes out every once in a while that reminds me that too much speed is never enough...lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
HEY ! Why not try this. Anyone can blast down the 1/4 mile. Make a REAL race. Lay some money down on it. Set the distance at about 2300 miles. Or just shoot for Calafornia to the east coast. You know. A real challenge. Who cares which gets to the next redlight first? Sounds to me like some guys should of bought a Hyabusa. Did I spell that right ? :lol:

G

·
You dont need to do anything, I know a guy that raced his 1800 against
a Harley that has the 103 cubic inch "stroker" and he smoked it bad.
He said the guy with the $35,000 H-D didnt know what to say.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I find it the most strangest thing that Harley is the slowest bike by far but people line up for it. Now they cant keep a trans in it and the primary clangs. And they want to race.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jonniedee...thanks for the info...wonder if this would void the warrantee?..lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts